Re: family sharing

by JanePhoenix

Original Post

Highlighted

Hero (Retired)
Google Play has a nice model for this. Family library sharing on there doesn't lock any family member out while another is accessing content. It gives family members the ability to buy things using your linked payment method, so you wouldn't be tempted to abuse the service by adding someone you didn't trust with access to your payment method.
Message 11 of 36 (3,994 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What's the purpose of the household if you can't share games with members in the household? how horrible to allow me to create accounts for my kids, only to find out that they can't install games I have in the parent account. what a load of bunk.

Message 12 of 36 (3,716 Views)

★ Novice

dude atleast they have something

Message 13 of 36 (3,505 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Straatford87 wrote:

@GreeyGreey

Hi,

As you can read in the main thread on this topic:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Can-you-share-your-game-library-like-in-Steam-on-Origin...

We've received quite a few comments about this and understand the importance of having this feature. If more news becomes available we'll share it with our players.

So three years later, any updates?

Message 14 of 36 (2,999 Views)

★★★ Newbie

2020 and still no family sharing pathetic!

Message 15 of 36 (2,946 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Bit disingenuous in all respects, really. About GOG Galaxy, because there's no DRM on their platform. They say you can install your games on as many computers as you like in your household, and whoever lives in your house can play them, and like Steam family sharing for multiplayer is dependent on the publisher's policies. Worse still - there's actually EA games on GOG and EA games on Steam that support family sharing. But buying them from Origin? No. No chance.

About Origin only being a "new" client. EA have had seven years to do this and they haven't done anything. Ubisoft may not care at all about DRM, but Microsoft Store launched in 2012. And guess what - they have advanced family sharing features. Better still - we can share Play Anywhere games not only across Microsoft accounts, but also across the same consoles and PCs. Meanwhile, XBL and PSN users can share games on the same console and across linked consoles and family accounts - and to make matters worse, you can share EA games and those games require the users to also have an EA account - the same one used for Origin. Before up to 2009, everything still worked on CD keys anyway, so family sharing wasn't a priority for Steam, and it was only then that they introduced their DRM. So Steam actually got their family sharing out in four years - and EA have had seven.

Prior to the release of the Xbox One and PS4, game sharing was a different proposition and it was difficult - with the Xbox 360 you had to mess around with content licenses, you could only play them on that console, etc. But now thanks to Origin DRM we can't even play them on the same machine. We've gone backwards - we've taken a significant step backwards.

What is Origin? A way for EA to not pay 30% to Valve? And a way for DRM to be enforced? These excuses don't fly. They're not adding features. EA don't care about family sharing on Origin. The money you'd spend on two or more copies of the same game, or two EA Access subscriptions, that doesn't go to improving and maintaining Origin. Billion dollar profits? We're having trouble implementing something we've already implemented on two consoles?

Don't make me laugh. There'll be no double purchases. Not from EA, not from Atvi, not from Ubisoft, not from Steam if they don't support family sharing. My wife and I share finances, we have the absolute right to share these purchases like we share Netflix or Spotify. Hell, there won't even be a single purchase. Denuvo and DRM are a failure. They don't protect EA's IP and they restrict customers unfairly. There's no value with being honest and buying from Origin. They undermine their own platform, so my cash can go elsewhere.

*slowly starts clapping*

2020 speaking, no family sharing yet...

Origin is an absolutely awful platform to buy any games on. not that there are many EA games worth buying anyways.

Message 16 of 36 (2,895 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Please do it now! My husband's had to buy the same game (the sims4) as me,and I would like to share with him, and he with me , all the expansion we bought. We live at the same house! Has no meaning separed family accounts members. 

Message 17 of 36 (2,827 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Straatford87 i think better make can;t play same game if same time if you want share bro like ste*m and just 3 acc if can share family i think that make fair ?
Message 18 of 36 (2,762 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Tom

@GreeyGreey

Crickets...

EA apparently has syngenesophobia.

Message 19 of 36 (2,625 Views)

Family Sharing

★★ Apprentice

will we ever get family sharing for EA games?. at least through steam client since that feature is already there in steam and we just need EA to accept that. my kids play on my account for now and it would be appreciated if EA is going to support family sharing at least through steam so I can make an account for each one separately. EA games are expensive. it is hard for me to buy one for each account for my family members. thx in advance

Message 20 of 36 (2,637 Views)