Re: calling dibs

by heme725

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@GboyBhabitz670 wrote:
Implement that blocking mechanic and keep reporting, or use it how it is and let it be?...hmm seems like the obvious choice would be to just leave it at that. Do parents always give their children what they want? I'll let you have some time to think about that...

Of course not. If they ask for alcohol because they saw older people drinking it.. yeah sure because when you say you want it or need it, by all means you can have it. Once you call "dibs" its automatically yours so go grab a bottle and I'll buy it for you because that seems to be how the world works....nope.

Sure you may call "dibs" but it isn't yours if someone else closer needs it and gets it first. I've had many encounters where they've taken things I've called "dibs" on but i don't complain about it.Tough loss. So it's up to you, use what you are given and move on or not. Choice is yours

what does giving alcohol to  minor have to do with a "dibs" mechanic in a video game ?

this me me me attitude is what is hurting this game along with cheaters.

If someone calls dibs people should honor that plain and simple. If you wanted the item then you should have called dibs on it your  selves in stead of running around with your courser pointed at the ground. 

Message 21 of 38 (387 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I rarely play with randoms due to trolls/communication etc. If one of us is busy we might ask our teammates to lock it for us. Team work works better when you have a squad of "friends". Make friends and your experience might just improve.

Message 22 of 38 (362 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
I wish I could support you on this but after reading everyone’s thoughts I can’t.

The system is primarily for keeping things visible. Bottom line is, you snooze, you lose. Seems fair enough to me.
Message 23 of 38 (352 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Anyone can call "dibs" even if they don't need it just to troll.. so if someone in your squad calls "dibs" on every single item pinged, are you going to still honor that "dib"? Because if so I'd like to see that. Like honestly I'd really like to see that. You could be playing with me and what the hell, I can call "dibs" on any single thing I want and if so, and you'd really honor the "dibs" calling, you'd leave every single item ever pinged just because someone else called "dibs" on it even if they didn't need it?...so @ZeroCool_GA is right.

You snooze, you lose. Simple.

Message 24 of 38 (345 Views)

Champion

Mozambique Here!

◎_◎
  ( ´ 3`)ァ 
  /⌒二_/
  /  /っ
 / /\\
`/ / / / 
(ノ  \) 

DIBS! (always)

\ [O] /

. |♡|

. / \

Message 25 of 38 (334 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I'll put a cheeky 'dibs' on an item to put someone off taking it but I'm not disappointed when they do. I mostly use it just to pinpoint the location of an item.

Message 26 of 38 (316 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

Who uses dibs when they're close to an item? I only use it when I'm a distance away and need it marked. I'd appreciate it if there was an audio cue to indicate a teammate had taken the item I called. Something like "sorry brother, I took it." Ashamed to admit that I was late for 2 gun fights yesterday because i was searching the building for an item I knew I called out only to realize a teammate took it.

Message 27 of 38 (309 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Then why even have the ability to call dibs?

Message 28 of 38 (275 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@DaAceXD I agree, this I've had multiple occasions where I dibs something a rando pinged only to have them pick it up when I get close to it.
Message 29 of 38 (276 Views)

★★★ Novice

I think this mechanic is good as it is.  

Don't view it as some kind of forced obligation for others to leave the item, but rather as an ability to quickly declare your desire for the item.  This gives the other player awareness of that desire, but leaves the choice to respect it or not.  Same as hovering your mouse on the legend during selection or asking for it in the chat.  

Locking the dibsed item can lead to negative consequences when the other player really does need it more (say, you're far away from it, other player is closer and encounters a hostile.  If it's an armor or a weapon at the start of the game - it would obviously be more important than your desire.  He can even give it to you later.  

Having played with a lot of random players, my experience is that people mostly respect the dibs.  The opposite happens maybe once per a few dozen players.  So I don't see it as a problem at all.  

Between the complete absence of this mechanic and locking the item out - I think it's in a sweet spot.

Message 30 of 38 (256 Views)