Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Wow. I was really wrong about Rangers.

by simraqham

Original Post

Wow. I was really wrong about Rangers.

★★★★★ Apprentice

Used to think they were terrible but picked up a couple items (down to about a 704 instead of the 732 I was playing as( and now I'm GM 3 capable in melee in a Legendary Mission without need to rez.  What an amazing Javelin.  On GM2 I stood at the bottom of the skorpian ramp in the tyrant mibe with no Colossus or team backup - and held the line!  Amazing!  Loving the Ranger now!  You need the perfect build though.  Can't wait until I get the Legendaries to replace these Masterworks

Message 1 of 16 (578 Views)

★ Apprentice

while I am happy for you, speaking to my personal tastes I prefer form over function in video games like this

im not the type to try and grind to do meta end-game stuff so im going to pick the build with the most delicious flavor. please note, I fully recognize its different strokes for different folks etc. this is just my take on javelins

I didnt like the soldier class in mass effect multiplayer either, i was always playing a mage or a vanguard so take that with a grain of salt

i can appreciate the combat potential of the ranger though

Message 2 of 16 (569 Views)

★★ Guide

they are pretty cool.  I like using Pulse Blast to take down shields, and frost grenade to freeze and prime (which a second pulse blast can then detonate).  My Ranger is an excellent killer or snipers and hunters and is extremely useful against elementalists and furies.  Pulse Blast seems to be so under-looked.

Message 3 of 16 (568 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Ranger has a great survivability. Shields from melee hits, armor from combos and hit-streak. Plus fast recharging Ultimate. My choice for GM3.

Message 4 of 16 (538 Views)

★★ Pro

@W2RD-1982 wrote:

they are pretty cool.  I like using Pulse Blast to take down shields, and frost grenade to freeze and prime (which a second pulse blast can then detonate).  My Ranger is an excellent killer or snipers and hunters and is extremely useful against elementalists and furies.  Pulse Blast seems to be so under-looked.

Yes, I have a Legendary Avengers Boon with 250% dmg and its awesome, especially for knocking down the hovering enemies like Hunters and other Javelins, it basically stops their attacks and drops them out of the sky, apart from the Legendary Storms/Rangers which might require an extra shot, it detonates and buffs melee at the same time. I use Ralners Blaze so I don't use the freeze grenades, I use the Last Argument instead which if you can hit a bunch of grouped mobs pretty much gives you an instant Ultimate. My melee recharges my shield, my combos recharge my armour, and everything speeds up my Ultimate, I love it.

Message 5 of 16 (524 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Haruchai01 wrote:

@W2RD-1982 wrote:

Yes, I have a Legendary Avengers Boon with 250% dmg and its awesome, especially for knocking down the hovering enemies like Hunters and other Javelins, it basically stops their attacks and drops them out of the sky, apart from the Legendary Storms/Rangers which might require an extra shot, it detonates and buffs melee at the same time. I use Ralners Blaze so I don't use the freeze grenades, I use the Last Argument instead which if you can hit a bunch of grouped mobs pretty much gives you an instant Ultimate. My melee recharges my shield, my combos recharge my armour, and everything speeds up my Ultimate, I love it.

what the eff... as someone who has only played as a storm (only had this game one week)... i am jealous of all of those abilities... is that on the MW/legendary items or does ranger just get components that do that from the get go?

my storm just... dies... finally got to a mission I cant solo which wouldnt be a big deal if anyone would actually join my games but hey, i guess ill just tune out a colossus or something since the PC crowd is too cool to help scrubs like me (its Dax's mission with the shielded outlaw boss that requires you to place bombs on an artifact)

Message 6 of 16 (507 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@donotwantt wrote:

@Haruchai01 wrote:

@W2RD-1982 wrote:

what the eff... as someone who has only played as a storm (only had this game one week)... i am jealous of all of those abilities... is that on the MW/legendary items or does ranger just get components that do that from the get go?

my storm just... dies... finally got to a mission I cant solo which wouldnt be a big deal if anyone would actually join my games but hey, i guess ill just tune out a colossus or something since the PC crowd is too cool to help scrubs like me (its Dax's mission with the shielded outlaw boss that requires you to place bombs on an artifact)

I have a couple of  Legendary components and some MW ones but it took time to get where I wanted and still some more to go. I have only dabbled with Storm so cant offer any advice sorry. Perhaps someone else can offer some sage advice. I have heard that Storm is squishy atm, perhaps the next patch will bring you some love. I'm on Xbox or I would offer to help.

Message 7 of 16 (489 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Get Legendary Ralnor's blaze and siegebreaker... Let's you prime in all 3 elements (shock mace being electrical, ralnor's fire and siege ice).

Avenger's boon with 100% gear charges, Last Argument with 100% charges.

Stack some combo damage.

Result... you can fly and jump from creature to creature (using melee to replenish your shields) and one shot anything not elite (at GM3).

Even Elites are 2 combos to kill. Fly/jump in, melee prime->avenger's boon->Ralnor's fire prime/siegebreaker freeze->combo->dead.

Ranger's are much stronger than originally advertised/claimed by some.

Being able to prime in all 3 elements in a strong bursty build is hard to beat. You can also prime all 3 in succession. Shock mace->combo-Ralnor's fire->combo->siegebreaker->combo as they all don't interfere or create the 5 second cooldown in that order. Elite Scar hunters aren't really an issue... at all. They can be shuttled between burning and frozen at will.

Message 8 of 16 (415 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@donotwantt wrote:

@Haruchai01 wrote:

@W2RD-1982 wrote:

I've mained Ranger from the start and it's probably my favorite. There are things I like on all the Javelins though, and I've played all four quite a bit.

The Storm has more shields than the other Javelins, and they also get bonus shields while hovering. So it only makes sense to play to that strength. 

You can get gear with inscriptions that give bonus shields (or armor) from the very beginning of the game. I've had green 12 power items with +50% shield inscription. I'd recommend starting there, and you will start seeing your survival taking a huge turn for the better.

Message 9 of 16 (390 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

I like your use of the stacking elemental effects. 

I've built a Ranger along the same Ultimate generation idea but I've opted for thruster cooling and turned the javelin into a gunship of sorts raining LMG fire, frags and missiles as close air support for the team.

The combos buff allies armor which is great if you've got a melee fan on the team.

Message 10 of 16 (296 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help