Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Would you want a support Javelin?

by Ticklepink68

Original Post

Would you want a support Javelin?

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I primarily play support characters from way back like team fortress to tribes and planetside.  I am not the best fighter in these games but I love supporting my team(healer buffer)

Would you play or want on your squad a Javelin who had only average offensive abilities but powerful support abilities?

Im talking about things like aoe heals for the team or throwable med stations.  A tiny invulnerable shield that pops on when your res somebody and vanishes the second it's complete.   Throwable temporary defensive walls for cover. Ways to give your team damage or health boosts Etc.

Basically you can fight but you would be far more useful supporting your team than always attacking.  (70% support 30% attack).

Something you'd want in the game or not? Even if you'd never use it, would you want it in your squad?

Message 1 of 42 (342 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'd like to see it but the whole combat mechanics and difficulties would have to be re balanced if they ever decide to add something like that

Message 2 of 42 (335 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I would actually like that. A javelin that carries basic weapons and it's abilities are some type of ranged armor/shield repair and/or the ability to repair a downed player from a farther range.

Message 3 of 42 (327 Views)

★★★ Guide

I sort of see Storm as support. It's built into our class to generate combos and take out trash mobs so we can generate our Ultimate quicker. We are given support seals that enhance skill regen rates of all party members. I ran the strong hold tonight with two Storm and two Interceptors and frankly I missed the collossus..the SPiders behavior was quite different than normal.

Message 4 of 42 (315 Views)

★★★ Guide

I think a support javelin is a natural add, and expect there will be one sooner, rather than later.

I think a Support themed javelin could use the existing supports, have support shield/heal/CD auras, could potentially buff drop rates, directly support healing/ammo, or maybe do things like create barriers, confuse or daze enemies - there's plenty of room for viable support.

Message 5 of 42 (312 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

I wouldn’t want a dedicated “support javelin” that can only support. Part of what’s nice about them is they are not really pigeonholed into specific roles and you can build them for different things based on your playstyle. Storm seems like it would make a nice support javelin, you can stay back and above the field and if you pay attention to what your team is fighting you can help them a lot by priming all sorts of stuff. Interceptor has an ultimate that makes you invulnerable for a good length of time and could be used to rez people. Ranger has an option to put up a shield that lasts a while. I’m not entirely sure what Colossus has, but I’d imagine it has something too.

But I think part of the game design intention is that players support each other, while at the same time try to hold their own weight as well. You learn over time what works and what doesn’t, and how much risk you can get away with, and eventually you don’t really need “healing” as much. One of the things that’s great about this game is that it’s kind of a mix of a shooter and an RPG, but at the same time it’s also its own thing and doesn’t really follow the traditional rules of either. I hope people take their time to just learn to appreciate it for what it is, instead of asking to make it more like a shooter where you just headshot everything or more like a classic MMO where tanks soak up all the damage and healers do nothing but heal. That’s been done a thousand times.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 6 of 42 (311 Views)

★ Apprentice
Put you are pigeonholed. Want to be a long range sniper or a high flyer staying above fray in a collosus, good luck. He is the tank. You get in there and soak up damage and beat the enemy down. They have to because They need the hp drops. Support character can actually free him up allowing him more variety or make him a rage filled beast.

But support character is not just a healer. They help control the battle field and support the team. It may be a heal or it could be setting up a temp cover wall to stop flanking. Using sonic mines that amplify team damage. On and on. So please don't think of it as a healer. It's team support. Standard smile
Message 7 of 42 (279 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

No, I wouldn’t. I like playing support characters too, but I believe it would be too difficult to balance such a character properly. Either they aren’t needed (and make things more difficult because dps is lacking) or they become necessary.

i think their current approach, with each javelin having a support slot, is the way to go.

Message 8 of 42 (274 Views)

★★ Pro

@Banfilidh wrote:

No, I wouldn’t. I like playing support characters too, but I believe it would be too difficult to balance such a character properly. Either they aren’t needed (and make things more difficult because dps is lacking) or they become necessary.

i think their current approach, with each javelin having a support slot, is the way to go.

Yes, I agree completely. I honestly don't know why a bunch of players are keen to force traditional MMO roles on to us for a shooter/looter. Imagine having a Javelin whose main role was healing or support, before long there would be a requirement that every run have one or if there was one in a run and they died, screwing the rest of the group so they die too, and before people start with you would still be able to rez them etc, first you are defeating your own argument, second, if such a Javelin were to be created there would have to be changes so that the role they play is needed, not just make them superfluous, bad idea in my opinion. So to everyone that wants one, sorry but a big no from me.

Another traditional MMO role people want included or think is already in the game is the Tank, this too is a bad idea, someone agroing and kiting mobs while everyone else stands back and shoots the mobs to death would be incredibly boring.

All the Javelins are dps, all have some kind of minor support skill, I say that's is how it should be. Any Javelins introduced in the future should be exactly the same, dps with some kind of minor support skill.

Message 9 of 42 (262 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

ya know I had thought about posting a question as to why Storms couldn't cast their shield in the air since that's where  we are supposed to be mostly..but it hit me..that shield is more for my grounded teamates than me.It took some time but i figured out how to hover and receive its bonuses as well.

Message 10 of 42 (261 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help