Re: Would better apex skills translate to better soldiers in real life?

by BigBlackCaustic

Original Post

Would better apex skills translate to better soldiers in real life?

★ Guide

The best players have the best game sense, best aiming skills, and so on. Would these players tend to be the better soldiers on a real battlefield? Does the fact I suck at apex mean I would likely die more quickly in a real war? If so, could the military use BRs like apex to identify the weaker soldiers and then put them through rigorous training to give them a fighting chance of real life survival or to assign them to safer positions while assigning the better gamers to the front lives?

Message 1 of 8 (447 Views)

Champion
@Frosty20203 I know incredible soldiers that are not very at video game shooters. People that are in special forces and considered elite. There is so much more to it. You need to be in physical shape. Itztimmy would never be able to handle the rigors they go through. Also you don't die in a video game. The stress is nothing like real life.
Message 2 of 8 (428 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Frosty20203 No apex is no where near real life. You can't just pop a battery if you're shot. You can't just tap strafe around real danger. I'm no soldier or police but I can't see apex players being good at warfare just because they're good at this game in particular. Maybe in some other games but apex is so far away from reality. It's like saying the best surgeon simulator player or the best trauma center player (love this game on the DS) can just apply and replace me at my job.

On the other hand, there are other games that actually translate really well. I don't know much of the details (maybe someone in the forums can clear this up) but a Gran Turismo player actually made it to be become a real life racer.
Message 3 of 8 (426 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Frosty20203 

As a veteran and gamer I can tell you that generally the answer is no. Games are for gamers and soldering is for soldiers. 

There are some computer based simulators that are used for military training that can be game-like but that is still not like gaming.

There are some sports that translate better, paintball for one.

However soldiering is not all about physicals skills. 

Good soldiers are leaders, followers, supporters, moral and personally fit. They are doctors, mechanics, cooks, engineers, Lab techs, musicians, and pilots, they come from all walks of life, some are even gamers good or bad. 

Again Games are for Gamers and Soldering is for Soldiers.

The needs of the many,
outweigh the needs of the few or one. --Spock--

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Please note: I am a community volunteer – I do not work for EA.
Me Too – If you also have this problem – first post on thread has this button.
XP – For helpful comments (and to help others 'level up').
Mark As Solution – To help others find the answer to the issue now & in the future.
Message 4 of 8 (403 Views)

★★ Pro

@Frosty20203moving a mouse, clicking a keyboard, clicking and moving controller

ain't the same as actually walking, running, looking around, carrying gear,

guns have some weight, the scopes don't zoom the whole field of view, iron sights look prob different

you can't train by dying over and over again in duty, stamina, hunger, strength, height

and more things can be different from real soldier work.

Message 5 of 8 (339 Views)

★★★ Guide
Message 6 of 8 (331 Views)

★★★ Expert

Nope.

Did you know the US Military now has to include training in basic to try to get people trained out of what they've learned to do in video games?

Message 7 of 8 (313 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@Frosty20203No, not at all. These are 2 different things entirely. I can imagine that for example some fighting games can somewhat improve combat sport skills, as learning to be methodical and learning about behavioral patterns can help (this doesn't translate to real outside the ring scenarios well), though spending your time practicing outside of games would be a better use of time. Other than that, i doubt any case can be made. There are simulators but they are used to "show" how to behave and react to certain circumstances, think of them as glorified training videos, not to hone any skill that requires extensive practice.

Message 8 of 8 (246 Views)