Re: Will the Season's Eatingz items ever be made free?

by realitysquared

Original Post

Will the Season's Eatingz items ever be made free?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Sorry, but I honestly need to know. Will these items be made available to earn in-game next month, or at the very least next year? Because if real $$ exclusive gear is gonna be a regular thing, the future does not look bright. This is a $40 game, not free-to-play PvZ2 where it's somehow okay to completely paywall items for a less-than reasonable price point. Please tell me I'm not gonna have to miss out on tons of gear just because I don't want to shell out $40+ a year for a handful of costumes.

Message 1 of 12 (696 Views)

★★★ Expert
@MysticSunflower We all don't know but I really hope that the costumes will be part of next months prize map. We have huge feedback about that matter in this board. So we have to wait and see if PopCap is listening to their player base.
Message 2 of 12 (679 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

I hope so but I doubt it as people who paid for the bundle would be upset if it turned up in a prize map (what would be the point for them). 

Unfortunately this is the way gaming is going. I am waiting to see what this rainbow currency turns out like to see the full monetisation model... Hopefully it isn't really annoying and puts me completely off the game.

On the one hand so many great and creative cosmetics are available in game I can't see why anyone would pay for more. However, if the really desirable ones are behind a paywall that is a kick in the teeth for daily players who grind (I.e. the lifeblood of the game who will keep it alive). It would have been much more consumer friendly for these costumes to be part of an Xmas event, with the option to purchase bulbs as a time saver if you really need to monetise.

Message 3 of 12 (654 Views)

Champion (Retired)

There were things we earned in GW2 that were later made available for purchase and that also infuriated people that put in so much time for rewards (such as Torchwood/Hovergoat) that were otherwise unobtainable.

Message 4 of 12 (619 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@spIash_damage Ugh, the Trials of Hot Doom still give me nightmares!!! 😭🤣
Message 5 of 12 (596 Views)

★★★★ Guide

This decision to make items pay to play WILL BE the downfall of this franchise.  The fact that the GW games never locked items behind a money wall (at least initially) is what so many families and players loved about this game.  To do what they are doing with this game is a slap in the face of all of us loyal players who have supported this company and franchise.  This will be the last PvZ game I buy if this keeps up.

Message 6 of 12 (582 Views)

★★ Pro
@CJackson5083 2 cool-looking christmas skins that you have to pay to get? Aww man, this game is going to die. I remember playing Garden Warfare 1 with my father. Good times, I could get all the cool-looking skins by playing. Yeah it was dependant on luck, but still. Now 2 of the 100 cool-looking skins are locked behind a money wall. What is this, pay2win pvz2? Never getting another PvZ title again. Cool-looking skins are EVERYTHING. Don't mess with me, Popcap. I'm a loyal player and I really deserve that christmas skin.
Message 7 of 12 (548 Views)

★★★ Expert
@shurikeninja It's not about just 2 cool-looking cosmetics out of 100 but the very beginning of more like that. Who knows, maybe we're talking about just 26 cool-looking cosmetics out of 120 in a few months. It's the faith many players lost since Popcap decided to forget about "no microtransactions" and "the player can unlock every item ingame".
Message 8 of 12 (539 Views)

★★★ Guide
@MysticSunflower I’m hoping that next month’s prize map will have some good Christmas stuff.
Message 9 of 12 (522 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I've followed PvZ since their very first game back in 2009.

The only issue I've ever had with the game is the fact that EA purchased PopCap back in 2011 because I had learned the hard way that EA games would experience server and connectivity issues but I still bought GW1 and GW2. Those games were largely spared the predatory monetization which has become so prevalent in online shooters but this being 2019 I would expect that paywalled cosmetics and costumes is most likely going to be the monetization method that we see from EA in BfN.

Maybe they'll eventually show up as something that can be earned in-game but I wouldn't hold my breath because I would expect that to not happen until a couple of years into the games life-cycle

Message 10 of 12 (485 Views)