Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Will single player Anthem campaign require a PS Plus / XBox Live Gold accoun

by SofaJockeyUK

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will single player Anthem campaign require a PS Plus / XBox Live Gold account?

★★★★ Novice

I'm only interested in playing solo / single player campaigns, therefore I don't have a PS Plus / XBox Live Gold account. Will I be able to play Anthem's single player campaign (online) without having to purchase a PS Plus or XBox Live Gold account?

Message 1 of 35 (43,443 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Will single player Anthem campaign require a PS Plus / XBox Live Gold accoun

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @mstegen

I've just got official confirmation that Anthem will require Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to play. Unfortunately, there won't be any parts of the game that will be available to players, who don't have those subscriptions.

/Ataashi

View in thread

Message 7 of 35 (43,192 Views)

All Replies

Hey @mstegen

For now we know that PS Plus and Xbox Live Gold will be required to access online multiplayer. At the moment I have no information if they will be required to play the game in general, but I will update this thread once it gets officially confirmed or denied.

Thanks!

/Ataashi

Message 2 of 35 (43,400 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the update. The game looks amazing, so I'm anxious to see if I'll be able to play single player without the extra membership.

Message 3 of 35 (43,391 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Yeah i want to know an update regarding about this, cause i dont have ps plus as well.
Message 4 of 35 (43,311 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

We do know that the game must be played online.

It runs on dedicated servers, you can't play without that.

https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/1005538720915681281

There is no 'single player' campaign as such because it's a shared world game that you can choose to solo if you want to, but other players are still there, still connected.

Mark Darrah and Jon Warner have been asked this question for months now, so I can assume that the reason for there not being an answer yet, may be due to open issues:

• Technical - can other players be locked out of the game via game settings (but also effectively locking Stronghold content out too)?
  • Commercial - Will Microsoft and Sony accept that not teaming up with other players that are connected to the game counts as not requiring the paid subscription.

I'd guess that the answer as it stands today, is: yes you do need Gold or PS Plus, but that's a shame for solo players, hence the current silence while the technical and commercial aspects are looked at.

The confirmed answer must become available before the Demo takes place, because if you need Xbox Live Gold / PS Plus for the game, you need it for the Demo. So either way, we'll have that confirmation in the coming weeks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 5 of 35 (43,296 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the additional input. I'm hoping this will be similar to Destiny where you can play solo without the PS Plus / Live Gold account, but if you want to play with others (matchmaking), you'll need to have the extra membership. I just don't enjoy multiplayer, so if I can play on my own without having to purchase an additional account I'll pre-order this game, otherwise I'll pass on it. Fingers crossed...

Message 6 of 35 (43,278 Views)

Hey @mstegen

I've just got official confirmation that Anthem will require Xbox Live Gold or PlayStation Plus to play. Unfortunately, there won't be any parts of the game that will be available to players, who don't have those subscriptions.

/Ataashi

Message 7 of 35 (43,193 Views)

★★★★ Novice

That's unfortunate, but thank you for the information I appreciate it.

Message 8 of 35 (43,185 Views)

@EA_Ataashi wrote:

Hey @mstegen

/Ataashi

It's good at least to have this fairly and transparently articulated in plenty of time.

Given the way the game is structured with solo play being a situational choice in a shared world, rather than a separate mode, I'm entirely unsurprised by the decision.

That said, as someone who used to be a dedicated solo player who 'discovered' the joy of multiplayer with Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, perhaps some people will give it a try-out in either the upcoming EA/Origin Access Demo or pre-launch Trial. I came grudgingly to ME3 multiplayer to meet a solo game requirement and stayed for a further 1,000 hours... :eahigh_file:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 9 of 35 (43,164 Views)

★★★★ Novice
That’s unfortunate, me as well only play solo, I don’t like multiplayer, and I love the game, I’d love to buy it, but now unfortunately it’s going to be a pass =/
Message 10 of 35 (40,755 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help