Will origin ports in epic games/steam be available to launch through EA Desktop?

by tdljayden

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will origin ports in epic games/steam be available to launch through EA Desktop?

★ Novice

I currently have Xbox Game Pass and it gave me EA play but I have to launch a game from the Xbox app to get access to it on EA Desktop. For some reason it picks up that I own it on epic games and uses the same installation directory yet I would not have been able to access it through EA Desktop had I not had Xbox Game Pass. When you say, "Games from Origin will be added to the Beta" do you mean that I will be able to launch an Origin-based game I own on epic/steam through EA Desktop without the need of having epic games/steam launcher in the background? If not, are you planning to implement support for epic/steam Origin ports on EA Desktop at all? I would suspect yes because EA Desktop will eventually replace origin most likely but I just wanted to ask for confirmation.

Message 1 of 4 (1,265 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Will origin ports in epic games/steam be available to launch through EA Desk

Champion (Retired)
Hi @tdljayden
All your owned games on Origin will be available on EA Desktop, because as you mentioned Origin will eventually be no more and be fully replaced by EA Desktop.

If you have an active EA Play subscription on Origin you will also have it available on EA Desktop, but not Steam.
If you have an active EA Play subscription on Steam then you will always need to launch Steam in order to play those games, because EA Play for Steam and Origin are separate subscriptions. This will still apply when it's fully transitioned to EA Desktop.

If having Game Pass requires the Xbox App to be open when playing through EA Desktop then it will likely stay that way.

If you have EA games on your Steam account that you own outright, you should be able to get a CD-Key from Steam which will allow you to add it to Origin/EA Desktop account. That way you can play those games without Steam being open.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,246 Views)

All Replies

Re: Will origin ports in epic games/steam be available to launch through EA Desk

Champion (Retired)
Hi @tdljayden
All your owned games on Origin will be available on EA Desktop, because as you mentioned Origin will eventually be no more and be fully replaced by EA Desktop.

If you have an active EA Play subscription on Origin you will also have it available on EA Desktop, but not Steam.
If you have an active EA Play subscription on Steam then you will always need to launch Steam in order to play those games, because EA Play for Steam and Origin are separate subscriptions. This will still apply when it's fully transitioned to EA Desktop.

If having Game Pass requires the Xbox App to be open when playing through EA Desktop then it will likely stay that way.

If you have EA games on your Steam account that you own outright, you should be able to get a CD-Key from Steam which will allow you to add it to Origin/EA Desktop account. That way you can play those games without Steam being open.
Message 2 of 4 (1,247 Views)

★★★ Newbie

how do i get a cd-key from steam?

Message 3 of 4 (1,052 Views)

@epjkb 

You shouldn't need one.

If you own a game that was bought before EA and Steam made the new deal you can launch it from Steam without a problem.

If you bought a newer game and linked your Steam account to your EA account it should pop up in EA desktop automatically.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 4 (1,044 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help