Re: Will it be available on steam for MacOS, Windows, and Linux

by Cantiras

Original Post

Will it be available on steam for MacOS, Windows, and Linux

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Will it be available on steam for MacOS, Windows, and Linux? I'm asking this for some of my friends who would enjoy this game who only own a Linux or Mac. I currently also can't play either of the battlefront games with them and would appreciate if this was brought to all major platforms.

Message 1 of 10 (4,231 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Willormangoleem wrote:

Will it be available on steam for MacOS, Windows, and Linux? I'm asking this for some of my friends who would enjoy this game who only own a Linux or Mac. I currently also can't play either of the battlefront games with them and would appreciate if this was brought to all major platforms.

STAR WARS: Squadrons will only be supported and available on Windows.

That being said, your Linux friends might be able to get the game running via Wine (check WineHQ AppDB after the game is released), or via Proton (a fork of Wine) on Steam (check ProtonDB after the game is released). There are tools like Lutris and PlayOnLinux that can ease the process. Compatibility can vary over time as game updates are released and new versions of Wine are released. Using Wine with DXVK can also sometimes lead to anti-cheat false positives (i.e. players having their accounts banned, such as with Battlefield V for example). Your Linux friends could always dual boot Windows (they would each need a copy of Windows), but I understand if they don't wish to. In terms of using Windows in a virtual machine (which would also require a copy of Windows), while near-native performance is possible using PCI passthrough, I would not go the VM route.

Wine for 32-bit Windows application compatibility currently isn't supported on macOS Catalina (10.15), although it's being worked on. CodeWeavers has updated Wine-based CrossOver for macOS Catalina (you can search the CrossOver compatibility database at https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility). Unofficial Wineskin also supports macOS Catalina, but it is currently recommended to disable System Integrity Protection if using it. Additionally, Porting Kit is available (again, SIP currently needs to be disabled). Your Mac friends could use Boot Camp to dual boot Windows (they would each need a copy of Windows).

Also, your friends' computers would need to meet the hardware requirements outlined at https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/overview/pc-system-requirements.

Message 2 of 10 (4,200 Views)

★ Apprentice

For the Love of the Force, EA and Motive, please, have Squadrons support Windows 7.

||                          ||
||           ____           ||
||         .''''''.         ||
||        /   __   \        ||
||\__..-':   /\/\   :'-..__/||
||=__ =|='  |-()-|  '=|= __=||
||/  ''-.:   \/\/   :.-''  \||
||        \   ""   /        ||
||         `.____.'         ||
Message 3 of 10 (4,030 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Wilhuf Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Extended support ended on January 14, 2020. If you are paying the extended security updates service, then the security updates will end on 2023.

I doubt Windows 7 will be supported.
Message 4 of 10 (3,978 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

It seems like the game is coming with Easy Anti-cheat which was previously not advertised. 
Games that come with EAC are not playable on linux. Is there any way to disable this? or work around it? 

Message 5 of 10 (3,691 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks for explicit mentioning towards Linux in terms of non-official support with Proton. If STAR WARS™: Squadrons gets a gold / platinum I'll be extremely tempted to buy it on Steam. =)

Message 6 of 10 (3,602 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm also looking into this. Fingers crossed as it would be an insta-purchase if it worked on Linux via Proton :D

Message 7 of 10 (3,400 Views)

★★★ Novice

FYI man, you can absolutely play Star Wars Battlefront I and II with your friends. I play Star Wars Battlefront II (2017) on Linux all the time, it runs incredibly well. I get like 200 fps at 1440p ultra with my RTX 3090. All they need to do is install it through Lutris. 

If they're on Mac, then they're screwed. But they can absolutely play EA games on Linux. I play Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Battlefield V, Dead Cells, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, Star Wars Battlefront II, and a couple more all on Origin on Linux. 

Message 8 of 10 (3,307 Views)

★★ Novice

Even if you could just play the single player campaign, i think it would be worth it for Linux users as most games that run on Linux struggle with online multiplayer anyway.

Message 9 of 10 (3,256 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I hope they will offer the ability for people to play without EAC if they want to.

This game looks pretty great, but my group can't play together unless it works on Linux or with Proton.

Message 10 of 10 (3,145 Views)