Re: Will Squadrons support Flight Sticks!!!

by Player20092

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

We specifically need confirmation of console HOTAS support.

Message 11 of 27 (1,448 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hotas confirmed for xbox yet? For the love of God PLEASE support the hotas!!!! 

Message 12 of 27 (1,401 Views)

★ Apprentice
@mbeskid There's been no confirmation yet. Apparently in a developer interview they said that information on console HOTAS support would be announced later.
Message 13 of 27 (1,380 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Dumb points for a dumb post. Haha Standard smile

Message 14 of 27 (1,218 Views)

★★★ Novice

Whey they say they support HOTAS I'm really worried that they would do like XBOX360 controller support - only works for a fixed brand and model.

My Joystick, Throttle, Rudder, and additional levers are all from different brands. I guess it's best for me to wait until someone with similar strange setup posts a review.

Message 15 of 27 (1,060 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

No support  , no purchase. Shooters roll through 60$ peripherals like a hot knife through butter , Squadrons is "Lightbringer"* by comparison. (*Bright Flaming sword).

Hotas support for consoles is a necessity for Squadrons , not only to keep a level playing field with PC,  but also to save our budgets.

Message 16 of 27 (978 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I want to support this game , just to help show demand for this type of game. For this genre of game.

The Xwing/Tie Fighter series was great , and started very similarly with X-wing having a bare bones story and varied multiplayer options , which in turn led to Tie Fighter with even better single player modes and multiplayer options , and then to Xwing Vs Tie which was just awesome game design.

I hope Squadrons leads to a similar series , but if Console Hotas is not supported,  I won't be supporting it. And no excuse of O.S. input limitations will suffice , if Ace Combat and Elite Dangerous can pull it off , so can Motive/EA.

Message 17 of 27 (977 Views)

★ Guide
@Sunsdune29 I feel the same. Not offering HOTAS support for console would reduce the overall player base. Frasier said in a Tweet that the better devs use a controller. Maybe a controller will allow console players to not slip behind. I don't know. I would never consider driving a flying thing with a controller. Sorry. But I guess some can. At the end of the day you can't make a serious sim if you're asking people to play with a control pad.
Message 18 of 27 (962 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Sunsdune29 @SlyGuy237 

I don't have a HOTAS but i'm wondering do consoles inc. next gen consoles allow/support HOTAS joysticks etc? Because if the console itself doesn't then it would be pointless a game supporting it on console.

As for controllers, don't underestimate a controller. Xbox controllers are now used in the military for things like UAV's, weaponry and even submarines. Whilst I know the things they're used for are not manned, a controller must still offer a much better benefit in some way over a joystick for an aerial craft for the military to use them. I think in a way playing a computer game is similar to controlling a virtual drone, so the question would be is HOTAS really a better option? If you were physically sat in a manned craft yourself I could definitely see the HOTAS being top dog.

But hey i'm no pilot, I just think these are interesting questions to ask in the controller vs joystick debate. Standard smile

Message 19 of 27 (946 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@CarbonCarl , Yes , every major console for the last couple generations has supported Flightsticks. Maybe not Nintendo. But I know for sure all xbox consoles have supported them. And atleast since the PS3 on the Sony side (Not sure about PS or PS2 , never used a stick with these systems.)

And I would say if the military is using controllers for UAV , it is more likely that familiarity with the controller for this generation is greater than thier familiarity with flight sticks in general. Easier to train someone with tools they already understand,  than to have to explain the tool first.

Message 20 of 27 (887 Views)