Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Will Cataclysm content be available after the 8 weeks are up?

by Cyphronite

Original Post

Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice
Well to your point then, the cataclysm could just originate in the new area that is added on, but that area should be a permanent addition to the game. Quite frankly, the area should be a new area tacked onto the free play map but it should be accessible in free play. What they shouldn’t be doing though is event locking higher tier items, new gear abilities and guns in an event that is time-limited. Cosmetics like themed javelin suits? wraps? does make sense, but asking players to grind a second form of currency just to get new gear, guns, mods & higher level gear, and/or masterwork\legendary support gear is ridiculous . Now if that isn’t the case great but so far they’ve done a really poor job of communicating that. Oh yeah, and they still haven’t addressed the elephant in the room, which is the problem with inscriptions (too many useless ones, no baseline % for legendary \masterwork items) Lastly, I disagree that a dynamic changing world is a bad thing, it is actually a very good thing, it entices players to come in and play to see what’s different in the world, It adds a sense of immediacy to this content when it occurs. Oh yeah, and nobody said that I couldn’t be repeatable. Bioware has stated they want players to go “were you there when this event happened?” You don’t achieve that by having a separate limited time arena, that has a boss and a leader board. That is just another stronghold, but it is not “aspirational” content.
Message 11 of 19 (374 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

@notabnoc wrote:

Something that didn't appear to be answered in the stream was whether the content introduced in this timed event will be available exclusively during the 8 weeks, or if the content will perhaps loop afterwards, i.e. will the content be available in-game permanently after the timed event is over?

Of course not.

Even asking that is stupid.

No one's gonna announce "youll have 8 weeks" and then cointinue to give you that thing that was going for those 8 weeks.

Message 12 of 19 (359 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Rafaelan wrote:
Lastly, I disagree that a dynamic changing world is a bad thing, it is actually a very good thing, it entices players to come in and play to see what’s different in the world, It adds a sense of immediacy to this content when it occurs. Oh yeah, and nobody said that I couldn’t be repeatable. Bioware has stated they want players to go “were you there when this event happened?” You don’t achieve that by having a separate limited time arena, that has a boss and a leader board. That is just another stronghold, but it is not “aspirational” content.

The issue with this is, there will be people who will say, “no, I was on vacation” or “no, I was kinda swamped with work when that was happening.” Or “no, I was in the hospital recovering from surgery.” Et cetera. And something that permanently and irreversibly changes the world is kinda hard to run repeatably. Personally, I kinda hate the idea of a game being a series of temporary once-in-a-lifetime events. Especially events that boil down to “you have limited time to grind for time-gated stuff.”

This is further made worse by the fact that this game has no player-to-player market. If it did, people with extra stuff from the event could trade it to those who weren’t able to participate in it for whatever reason. As it is, you have to be there in person and grind for everything yourself, not knowing if you’ll ever have another opportunity to get this otherwise.

Same with the store cosmetics, by the way. SWTOR’s limited-time Cartel packs worked in part because you could buy them off GTN later, long after they were discontinued – precisely because some people bought extras. Then I could work towards buying what I wanted by trading stuff I could get. When the game relies on me continuously logging in to even have the opportunity to buy stuff, it gets tiresome, and it starts to feel increasingly pointless to try to keep up in the first place. Sure, I would have loved to log in every day if my life consisted of nothing but playing videogames. But it doesn’t. And if it did, I doubt I would have the money to buy shards.

And with the Cataclysm, what’s extra awkward is the fact that apparently it adds new items, but I’m not hearing anything about more inventory space getting added along with them. There is already barely enough inventory space to keep the stuff that’s in the game right now. I’m not looking forward to having to delete items with usable rolls on them to make room for a souvenir that will likely get +harvest rolls but won’t be obtainable later. If it’s just the same items we have right now but more powerful I would just ignore it like I currently ignore the Legendary tier (knowing I may never get a build I actually want). But if it’s completely new stuff, it means I will be missing on build options if I don’t get it. And the time-gated nature of it pretty much guarantees that.

I am looking forward to seeing it on PTS, and it may not be as bad as the conclusions I am jumping to. But what I’m hearing so far reminds me of the Elysian chests, and not in a good way.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 13 of 19 (348 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice
Oh brilliant! Hopefully this also means the rewards available will not be temporary either. Do you happen to have the link?
Message 14 of 19 (327 Views)
Highlighted

New content just, what, 4 months after the launch to a game that allegedly took 6 years of development time and has less content that Action Quake 2. And it's time trials -thingy, well done.

Just in time for the 7 players left in the game that just don't want to accept the truth that it's a bust.

Message 15 of 19 (304 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

You think they will just trash the assets for the Cata area after the event is over? O.O

More likely to become more freeplay space or some portions of it a Stronghold. There was a post on twitter suggesting that finding out was a story thing and not just a game mechanic so they dont want to spoil it.

Anyway, many of these questions will be answered on the PTS. Speculation is just going to give you heartburn.

Just another gamer hoping to help.
Love playing RPGs, MMOs, and Action games.
Like watching most other games.

I'm not employed by EA.
Message 16 of 19 (265 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

@Rafaelan wrote:

I don't understand what they are doing. I thought that the whole point of the Cataclysm was that the open game world (Freeplay) would change and new quests\activites\enemies? would spawn WITHIN the Freeplay world (or a section of it) and PERMANENTLY alter it in some way and players would be forced to deal with it. That is called a dynamic world, which players LIKE. That is called aspirational content, not some sort of arena with a leaderboard that gives another form of currency for war chests which gate lock new but randomly rolled gear? Really? Do they honestly believe that players find this rewarding?

This game is already sorely lacking in content, they need to be adding MORE permanent content to Freeplay (as well as Strongholds), not adding Temporary content by creating a totally separate play area from the rest of Freeplay that is only available for 8 weeks? Why?

It would make a ton more sense if the new area was a permanent addition to Freeplay, the Cataclysm event could remain temporary (beginning\radiating out from this area, at least this would make some sense), new items drops should just be added to the current loot pool and drop in ANY content. If they want to event lock specific items then it should be a javelin cosmetic set (Dominion themed?) one for each javelin type (helm week 1, arms, week 2, chest week 3, legs week 4), that way it is a cool cosmetic reward but players who miss it don't feel locked out of cool new modifications\gear or weapons. Maybe they add a new wrap as a reward option each week as well, and no war chest (random BS), reward players with currency and let them decide what to spend it on.

Hopefully, the 3 new quest chains are either not in this area or if they are, the area itself is a permanent addition to Freeplay, so people who miss the event or do not complete it or are new afterward can still play out these quest lines.

I just do not understand their philosophy at all. Very discouraging.

^ THIS

If I could I would upvote this a thousand times. 

It almost feels like they tried to integrate the cataclysm stuff into the existing freeplay map but failed and then fell back to create a separate map. 

Message 17 of 19 (244 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@ChiraaKitteh wrote:

You think they will just trash the assets for the Cata area after the event is over? O.O

More likely to become more freeplay space or some portions of it a Stronghold. There was a post on twitter suggesting that finding out was a story thing and not just a game mechanic so they dont want to spoil it.

Anyway, many of these questions will be answered on the PTS. Speculation is just going to give you heartburn.

I doubt they’ll trash the assets, but it’s hard to say what they’re planning when all they say is “wait and see.” I am reasonably sure the Cataclysm will be repeatable at some point in some form, but with some early SWTOR events it took years before they were repeatable (and some never did get a re-run I believe).

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 18 of 19 (244 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

They didn't say, one way or another, in the stream whether the content would still be available after the 8 weeks. However, Jesse from Bioware did answer a question somewhere (Twitter or Reddit I think) basically saying, they aren't going to waste all these resources to only use the content for 8 weeks. 

So, we don't know for sure what will happen with it yet.

Message 19 of 19 (224 Views)
Twitter Stream