Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Will Cataclysm content be available after the 8 weeks are up?

by Rafaelan

Original Post

Highlighted

Will Cataclysm content be available after the 8 weeks are up?

★★★ Novice

Something that didn't appear to be answered in the stream was whether the content introduced in this timed event will be available exclusively during the 8 weeks, or if the content will perhaps loop afterwards, i.e. will the content be available in-game permanently after the timed event is over?

Message 1 of 19 (925 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Pro

No idea, sounds like we may not even really see Cataclysm in June going by some of the things stated.

I mean PTS will be available starting next week? (PC only: sorry consoles) and plans to take in feedback and testing over 2-3 weeks. So taking that into consideration alone as well as adding a week or 2 for bug fixes and polish. We most likely will not see Cataclysm on live servers till July.

Message 2 of 19 (900 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

That's what I was wondering. Once the event is over, what happens with that area? Will it stay just without the event? If so, what happens with it? Are all the possible rewards from it, weapons and such, gone?

Is the game going to be a series of limited timed events every few months and that's it? If someone starts playing after the events are over, how will their story continue now that the event is all over? This whole thing seems really convoluted and poorly thought out with too many added things that seem overly complicated and all of it time-limited and temporary. Personally, I couldn't care less about scores and leaderboards, that was a waste of time and effort.

Also, not for 6 weeks? WTF have you people been doing the past two months?

Message 3 of 19 (874 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide
Was not impressed of what i have seen...time to forget Anthem I reckon.
Message 4 of 19 (812 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

Posted this in another thread.

My concern is that, if I understand correctly, you can only get the higher lv gear and the coin for higher lv gear while playing Cataclysm...that only runs for a 6-8 weeks. For those that are end game and mainly searching for higher lv/better gear why would they play outside one of these events? Can't progress gear wise unless an event is running. Even if this is run 2-4 times a year at 2 months at a time it kills the reason to play for many if there's no event. Doesn't sound quite right. 

"We have not succeeded in solving all your problems. The solutions we have found only serve to raise a whole new set of problems. We are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Unknown author

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 5 of 19 (778 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

I don't understand what they are doing. I thought that the whole point of the Cataclysm was that the open game world (Freeplay) would change and new quests\activites\enemies? would spawn WITHIN the Freeplay world (or a section of it) and PERMANENTLY alter it in some way and players would be forced to deal with it. That is called a dynamic world, which players LIKE. That is called aspirational content, not some sort of arena with a leaderboard that gives another form of currency for war chests which gate lock new but randomly rolled gear? Really? Do they honestly believe that players find this rewarding?

This game is already sorely lacking in content, they need to be adding MORE permanent content to Freeplay (as well as Strongholds), not adding Temporary content by creating a totally separate play area from the rest of Freeplay that is only available for 8 weeks? Why?

It would make a ton more sense if the new area was a permanent addition to Freeplay, the Cataclysm event could remain temporary (beginning\radiating out from this area, at least this would make some sense), new items drops should just be added to the current loot pool and drop in ANY content. If they want to event lock specific items then it should be a javelin cosmetic set (Dominion themed?) one for each javelin type (helm week 1, arms, week 2, chest week 3, legs week 4), that way it is a cool cosmetic reward but players who miss it don't feel locked out of cool new modifications\gear or weapons. Maybe they add a new wrap as a reward option each week as well, and no war chest (random BS), reward players with currency and let them decide what to spend it on.

Hopefully, the 3 new quest chains are either not in this area or if they are, the area itself is a permanent addition to Freeplay, so people who miss the event or do not complete it or are new afterward can still play out these quest lines.

I just do not understand their philosophy at all. Very discouraging.

Message 6 of 19 (708 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

Absolutely! I truly have no idea what they are thinking. Here's some late content oh but wait! you can only play it for 6 weeks. Brilliant idea! You just keep doing what you want Bioware, it doesn't matter what the dwindling player base wants. I give up.

Message 7 of 19 (659 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

I honestly feel like ea or bioware has no idea what to do with this and will no way shape or form deliver on any promise, they will do everything they can to milk people on armor and wraps before ultimately shutting it all down cataclysm sounds nothing like what was expected and a quick search online will show how everyone feels, if they want to save this game or franchise they need to ffxiv it because at this point I dont see them pulling a no mans sky

Message 8 of 19 (650 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

Watched a vid this morning where bio saying yes it will. 

Apparently they say that the devs have put so much work in on it, it'd be a shame to waste it by removing it. 

So good news all round 

Message 9 of 19 (623 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@Rafaelan wrote:

I don't understand what they are doing. I thought that the whole point of the Cataclysm was that the open game world (Freeplay) would change and new quests\activites\enemies? would spawn WITHIN the Freeplay world (or a section of it) and PERMANENTLY alter it in some way and players would be forced to deal with it. That is called a dynamic world, which players LIKE.

People don’t generally like being “forced to deal with” anything. Especially when the environment where you play through the story gets permanently changed by stuff that takes place after the story. Expanding the world is one thing (and I definitely hope they will keep doing that), but I hope they avoid permanently and irreversibly changing the environment, or will implement something like SWTOR’s Ziost (where the state of the environment depends on where you are in the story).

Something like a major Cataclysm is especially awkward, since on one hand they’re kinda meant to be dealt with at some point, but on the other hand temporary content means that some people will inevitably miss it, and saying “well, screw those who don’t plan their lives around the game” is not the best way to go.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 10 of 19 (612 Views)
Twitter Stream