Will Battlefront 2 continue to be maintained?

by TheGamerSeal

Original Post

Re: Will Battlefront 2 continue to be maintained?

★★ Guide
@TheGamerSeal All asterisk things you mentioned are great content for this game but I am afraid it won't happen without money, developers doesn't work without salary, they have to work for their living. Your assurements for weak community when game is payable doesn't help for billion dollar games like Fortnite. Isn't Fortnite community strong, most successful and most monetized game ever and you say their community isn't strong? Their community is strong but not that kind of modder community you are refering, their community is strong community with full of players, others pay and others don't. These are modern live service games where money is made and games are with full of content, yes it is greedy business but if you want everything free that is also greed. Of course there will be room for abandoned games and strong modder communites like with Team Fortress 2 or other modder supported games, but I will hope this game won't be among them, not just yet. Like you said there are so much content to be made and still work to do, but who is doing all that work, paid developers or modders, only future tells.
Message 21 of 39 (616 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@quenaelin It can happen without money, and it definitely should!

Content in a game should always be free, but that doesn't mean companies can't make money off the game. Consider Team Fortress 2 again. One of the major contributing factors to the long lifespan of this game is the fact that they sell their cosmetics. If Team Fortress 2 didn't do this, Valve would have to pull money from other resources in order to keep the game running (example: money from their highly successful game platform, Steam); in turn, this would mean less money for the company as a whole.

Choosing what costs players money and what doesn't is one of the largest factors in determining how long a game will stay alive. The economic model for Battlefront 2015 - where players had to pay money if they wanted access to post-release content - arguably led to the game's swift downfall. If Battlefront 2 were to mimic this, the game would almost be back where it started, with players having to achieve massive amounts of credits to earn the characters they wanted to play as, while at any time they could just pay more money to get them instantly. Players should not have to pay MORE money to get the full experience that they paid for - that's the plain and simple truth.
Message 22 of 39 (605 Views)

★★ Guide
@TheGamerSeal How about payable cosmetics for starters. You say that content should be always free, but then at same time you are refering again to Team Fortress 2 where skins costs money, aren't skins any content to you. If EA could sell only cosmetics in this game that would be something for starters like for example you said about Palpatine "Sith Eternal" appearence that should have been payable skin and normal "Emperor" skin should be free and after that EA should make more payable skins and more payable singleplayer content to keep this game going. You know that there isn't going to be free official content for this game any longer, changing skins as payable would be one solution to keep this game supported for longer time. What you have in mind to keep support going without paying anything and with official support, you don't realize these things costs money?
Message 23 of 39 (567 Views)

★ Guide

If the devs got split screen working in Instant Action on these consoles or the new ones coming out or added hero AI to Arcade, I would pay for that patch.

Message 24 of 39 (512 Views)

★★★ Guide

Shut Up And Take My Money! | Know Your Meme

Paid DLC is fine for me at this point, anything for ore Star Wars!

Message 25 of 39 (498 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@quenaelin Sorry for the late reply.

I should clarify that, when I say content, I refer to updates. Items such as cosmetics fall into a separate category. Of course I realize that support costs money - it almost sounds as if you think I'm unaware of that, that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I assure you, I do know what I'm talking about.

I believe that at this point, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. There's no sense in me continuing to try convincing you that pay-to-play is wrong, and there's no sense in you continuing to try convincing me that paid DLC is a good thing.

I suppose my belief comes from the fact that, throughout my childhood, I played "one-and-done" games - once it was released, that was it, no more content, only occasional fixes if necessary. Perhaps it's that reason why I believe paying for games should include everything the game has and will offer.

I'm not sure if you've played Team Fortress 2 or not, but in case you haven't, all of the cosmetics are in fact obtainable without paying money. With a handful of hourly item drops that occur every week, there's... an astronomically small chance that you will get a cosmetic instead of a new item. It's better to just buy what you want, but there's also a chance that you could just wait for it. Plus, Team Fortress 2 has such an extensive collection of cosmetics that there are entire websites and servers dedicated to the purchasing, selling, and/or trading of cosmetics without actually paying the company, Valve - something that Battlefront 2 can't really do considering that there's only so many appearances to be had.
Message 26 of 39 (480 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@TheGamerSealI know what you meant by buy once type of games, I have been buying tons of games which work like that. Nowadays things are little bit different, developers are usually highly payed than before and game companies are much much bigger and when things are bigger everything costs much much more, millions of dollars. Though through out in the history of games there has been monthly subscription games like in many MMORPGs have, would you preferably buy those to keep support going? I haven't played Team Fortress 2 game a much, not my favourite game, I might have tried it couple of times. Soon this game is going to be like Team Fortress 2 maintained by modders. Developers only patch game sometimes if they like or huge game preventing bug is found, there is still slight change that EA does something about it and make game payable again somehow or makes new Star Wars Battlefront 3 game. But this game was suppose to be live service game with monthly type of income as payments and now EA is pretty much disappointed, so I doubt EA makes anything about it, but we can always hope.

Message 27 of 39 (450 Views)

Champion

Hey, Look! It seems that we will have some tweaks for Heroes.

https://twitter.com/guillaume_mroz/status/1262755274818899969

Lightsaber Throw damage reduced 20!? (150->130)

No, please nooooooooo! 

vaderno.jpg

Message 28 of 39 (428 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@quenaelinI'm highly skeptical of whether this game will have a massive modding community - there's no official modding support, so there's a lot of work that has to be done BEFORE actually starting on a mod.

Again, I'm just going to have to say that it's best to agree to disagree. I believe paid updates, monthly subscriptions, or anything of that sort is a very bad idea.

As far as development goes, there's really not much more this game needs (considering substantial content).

Ahsoka, Ventress, Savage, Mace, Padme, Bane/Jango, Jyn, Krennic, and perhaps Poe and Hux, I will say are more or less required for the "hero roster" to be complete.

Coruscant, Mustafar, Mygeeto (maybe), Exegol, Pasaana (maybe), Utapau, MC80 Star Cruiser and Imperial-Class Star Destroyer (these don't necessarily need to be added to Supremacy), are required for the map rotation to be complete, as well as a more canon-friendly rotation.

1v1 Hero Showdown, Versus Co-op (take a wild guess what I mean), revitalizing of the "shelved" modes, and a reconstruction of the play menu so everything is more or less in one place - consider something along the lines of Battlefront 2 (2005)'s Instant Action menu. Also, server lists.

Re-introduction of canonical barriers. No Reys or Lukes fighting droids! No snowtroopers on Hoth! Snowtroopers only on snow maps! More appearances for troopers, reinforcements, and heroes and villains - also, yeah, I'll take another Han skin... if it's old Han.

Look, I could go on and on. But you know? I tell you what. If everything I wrote down here was packed into a single update (minus anything that would be far too controversial), I'd... I'd pay money for that... maybe.

Message 29 of 39 (397 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@TheGamerSeal You don't maybe believe in inside game payments or monthly subscriptions, I usually also like buy once type of games more than free-to-play games, although buy once games gives these problems when support will be over, it will be game over like in good old times. I know that somehow you need to pay that support and content what is made by game companies, otherwise they don't get paid and can't make any content or patches for your game. In many games gaming industry is using only microtransactions as payments, because it brings millions of dollars to their pockets, they call it free-to-play game, it is just like Team Fortress 2 game has, it was probably making millions of dollars in its best years, but Fortnite makes even more it brings billions of dollars. Good old buy once type of gaming industry doesn't bring so much money than succesful free-to-play game, it also provides constant content flow from developers and paid support going as long as money is flowing.

EA wasn't succesful when making this game, they wanted to make this something like FIFA and their sports games franchise, first pay once and then pay-to-win money flow, I wasn't so much against that because I knew this buy once system doesn't work with live service game. Perhaps they will learn lesson and change this game to free-to-play game, with payable cosmetics only, like it already is, you can pay skins with crystals if you want, but problem is there isn't going to be more content support from developers because original idea was trashed and game was changed by EA to pay-once-and-forget-game as community was against their live service pay-to-win game, maybe this game should have been free-to-play game at first place and for cosmetics only like in Fortnite or Overwatch. Still I don't know would this game be succesful even when free-to-play game, old Star Wars community is so much against in game payments. Community even rioted when some characters like Vader and Luke were being locked behind too high grind walls, so these walls need to be lowered. Problem with making succesful free-to-play game is that you have to make it cleverly so that gamers still buy ingame stuff they want, but game can't be too much like pay-to-win game, otherwise community will riot and it is not fun for anybody.

I have bought too many buy once games that I myself wanted this game to be more like free-to-play game like Fortnite or Overwatch and I wasn't so much against pay-to-win approach like in FIFA as long you could get all that stuff with grinding like it was intended, but Star Wars community wanted otherwise and here we are. If we like more content from developers then we need to pay some way or another and there will be mods even without mod support that is for sure. Already now there are lot of different mods, Ashoka, Ventress, Padme, Krennic, Jyn and some new maps all modded, after couple of years there will be huge list of mods, too many for my taste. Mods are also fracturing game community, unless you can load them somehow while playing a game, though they are keeping also game alive, so I am not against them, official support is always better and more constant. We can wish and hope more supported payable content, but probably won't get nothing more from developers but seldom patch now and then, new content is going to be made by modders.

Message 30 of 39 (361 Views)