Will Battlefield 2042 be playable with a mouse and keyboard on Box series S

by Acheul

Original Post

Re: Will Battlefield 2042 be playable with a mouse and keyboard on Box series S

★★★★ Pro
@SrMaybe2042 Your opinion is just that, your opinion. And I don't agree with it myself either. And you don't see what the problem is? Have you not seen all of the problems MW has with warzone. Between CoD and Battlefield they're very different kinds of players.
Message 21 of 244 (2,060 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@SF-Tebaggins I don't know what games you have been playing but COD/Warzone allow keyboard and mouse and it is working pretty well. The simple fact you said there is an unbalance states the obvious: keyboard and mouse is the best controller for FPS. I wouldn't call it cheating. Would you say is cheating use a racing wheel in a racing game?
Yes, I do have a PC but not even close to the most advanced console built so far. Where I would like to be able to enjoy an FPS the way it should.
That is why this question is so important.
Message 22 of 244 (2,049 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Blackidus Woww.. that is new for me! I would never imagine people playing FPS using controller on purpose. 😂
I guess I am really bad in using controller. I even give up Outer World because of that. Really bad experience.
So if it's not that unbalanced there is no reason to not allow Kb&M on consoles. I hope EA is reading all of this.
Message 23 of 244 (2,035 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@TifanofauvoYeah both Jackfrags and Stodeh upploaded videos recently where they tested playing Warzone with controlers and i could not tell the difference Standard smile Though they did avoid using snipers beacuse that is much easier with keyboard and mouse Standard smile

I have myself allways played Battlefield on PC but if I cant afford an uppgrade before 2042 releases I will play it on my Series X and I hope it supports Keyboard and Mouse.

Message 24 of 244 (2,020 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

CoD/Warzone is a crossplay pc/console game which is why they allow it. If you walked into an esports game, that was console only and tried using keyboard and mouse you would be disqualified there and then. If it is cheating in esports its cheating in regular gameplay. rainbow six: Siege is one example of a game that actively pursues cheaters who are using mouse and keyboard on console and permanently bans them. it is even mentioned in their EULA. Most private BF4 lobbies on console still all do not allow it and there are plenty of other games out there (FPS) that actively pursue cheaters using mouse and keyboard in console lobbies. It is an advantage and should not be allowed. It is cheating no matter what way you are looking at it. If you are using a device that gives you a competitive advantage over other players then it is cheating plain and simple and mouse and keyboard falls into this category on console.

Message 25 of 244 (1,992 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@SF-TebagginsBut Battlefield is not and have never been a competitive game like Siege. If it were a game with tournaments and such I would agree but it's not.

It's a sandbox game where you play to have fun

Either way it can be solved with matchmaking, just pair consoles players using keyboard and mouse against PC players simple as that.

And of we ban players using devices that gives you an advantage should we not ban ultra-wide monitors, controllers on PC or high end PC wich gives higher FPS an advantage over those with a low end PC? And now we have consoles wich can go up to 120 Hz with different monitors/tvs, some people will always have an advantage depending on what devices they use, not only controllers or keyboards.

Message 26 of 244 (1,976 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Blackidus Good point about the Xbox Series X being able to do 120fps in some games, while the Series S can only do 60fps.
Message 27 of 244 (1,955 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@Blackidus That's probably the only way I would be ok with it is if k&m players on console are forced to play with PC players since they would lose out on their unfair advantage against controller users. Then again I rather PC not be introduced into console crossplay at all with 2042, Battlefield on console doesn't need to have it's experience ruined because some cheating PC players either.
Message 28 of 244 (1,944 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Blackidus That is very incorrect. Battlefield is a competitive game and has numerous esports leagues setup around the world. And has been since the days of BF3. People also play  siege for fun, but the point is as simple as I made it. If you are using a piece of equipment that is not permitted by the game, that gives you an unfair advantage performance wise. Then its cheating. This applies to many games across console and as said most of them take it very seriously and even permanently ban people caught using M&K in any games regardless if it is in a competitive setting or not.

Yes doing selective matchmaking is a solution but it then creates another problem of people not being able to find games. This is apparent in CoD and apex legends. It takes on average 5x longer to find a game once you have disabled crossplay then when you have it enabled. Not because there are more pc players than console, but purely because everyone knows how much longer it takes so people do not bother. Pairing console keyboard and mouse players only with pc players again is a good idea, but whether it can be implemented is another story im not sure if you can create a code/mechanic that would detect this and how complex it would be to create e.t.c. You would essentially have to create another layer to the matchmaking system that detects the type of input being used by the player. This relies on whether the console actually shares that data which I do not know if it does.

Your 3rd point is literally a straw man argument. Devices such as monitors, headsets are personal preference and has nothing to do with the control input method. If you are playing PC and it is a low-end vs high-end then you clearly did not look into things enough when your brought your PC or got into PC gaming. We are talking exclusively about control input methods here and how it creates a huge disadvantage.

Message 29 of 244 (1,935 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@SF-Tebaggins You base your comments on eSport which is far from what we want. I want to use kb&m to play Battlefield 2042 single and multiplayer on my Xbox series X. I don't care about eSport rules and bans.
Microsoft opened the kb&m API for all developers so they can implement it the way they want. You would not be creating a new layer, just adding a new filtre along with the dozen already in place, like type of match, latency, etc...
So just because it's a "personal preference" it doesn't give you an advantage? As @Blackidus said before there are some technics the game can implement that could minimise the disadvantages. And let's be honest, if a player is feeling a huge disadvantage just plug a kb&m and be happy! We are talking about a $20 accessory that anyone can have, or already have, to enjoy the game.
Message 30 of 244 (1,913 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help