Re: Will Apex have a future on Google Stadia?

by CAGOA33

Original Post

Will Apex have a future on Google Stadia?

★★★ Expert

So the highly anticipated and 2 times sold out Google Stadia game streaming service has recently launched, Shadow PC already preceded this, and is honestly better, and with all the interest consumers have in this new way of playing i'm wondering if Apex will join the ranks of playable titles.

With a start up cost of around 120 USD, with 3 months subscription and a stadia controller and a monthly subscription fee of only 10 USD, this is a very attractive price to have the need for purchasing, repairing and upgrading computer hardware taken out of your hands.

For many, this means that beast gaming PC's become much more reasonably priced, including myself. There's some people on PC i'd like to play Apex with, and wondered if Apex will ever come to google stadia, or if I must get Shadow PC instead.

Also for those reading, playing games run from servers that do not need downloading or installing also gets rid of those aimbotting pests 

Will EA consider hitting up your boy google?

Message 1 of 16 (3,224 Views)

★★★ Expert
@Wingmannedbro I wonder how input lag feels in cloud gaming. Numbers here are not great: https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-how-stadias-input-lag-compares-to-native-pc-gaming/. But, if you live close enough to the servers and there are only few network hops to mess up your connection, could be ok.

As for the cheating, yes, there will be less, but I still envision some hackers trying shape recognition software for aimbots, especially when 4k / 8k will become normal.
Message 2 of 16 (3,203 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@DoYaSeeMe 

So it's bad for Stadia?  I remember Shadow offering negligent lag, according to Linus Tech Tips.

Problem is that shadow requires a laptop or computer to run with a recommended 5GHz wifi port and cannot be streamed directly to my smart TV yet. Which means i'd still have to drop about 600 to 700 euro on a basic PC anyway.

Message 3 of 16 (3,199 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I don't believe Stadia has yet set a precedent for F2P games so I don't expect it to be likely. I don't think Respawn are done with expanding the games availability though. Two things that I expect EA to be more likely to consider however:

1. EA might join the game streaming arena with their own service some time between now and the next few years. Or...

2. They might consider making some form of port for mobile devices so that they can reach a separate market.

Apex is only going to become more accessible to lower end hardware as standards rise, and current gen consoles aren't going to be current gen for much longer (assuming these streaming services don't cancel the next generation). Since the Xbox One has allowed certain games to use mouse+keyboard, this could have broader implications for the next Xbox too.

Acquiring the hardware to stream a game that thousands of people play for free would no doubt be a costly endeavour.

Also I have my doubts about streaming a multiplayer shooter. I wouldn't mind it for games played at a more casual pace but I fear the input latency could make mouse aim feel disorienting.

LASTLY I don't think such a streaming service would do much to curb cheating. That is unless they decide to separate stream users from game client users entirely. I don't think that would be a very popular way to do it.

Message 4 of 16 (3,174 Views)

★★ Pro
@Wingmannedbro Even single player game needs 20mbps speed to play without lag on Stadia, I wonder what kind of internet speed from NASA we need to play Apex with their servers *
Message 5 of 16 (3,159 Views)

★★★ Expert
@bosourd Lag and bandwidth are not the same thing. You can easily have 500mbps, if the closest server is at 150ms, game experience will be pretty bad.

Apex will not need any more bandwidth than other games. Players receive a video stream and send controller inputs which take just a few bits.
Message 6 of 16 (3,129 Views)

★ Guide

First question is:

Will Google Stadia have future?

Latest news is that subscriptions is low and disconnects due to ChromeCast heats.

Message 7 of 16 (3,068 Views)

★★★ Expert

@AzGoshawk 

Omg no way, you'd think they would have thought about cooling.

Pretty big deal.

Message 8 of 16 (3,054 Views)

★ Guide
@Wingmannedbro

The ChromeCast Ultra disconnects the games when get heat. If they thought about it? Probably in future ChromeCast dongles.
Message 9 of 16 (3,023 Views)

★ Guide

I am confused, in this thread you can't afford a pc the other thread your halfway towards buying one, also you only play fortnite now but you play Apex, think you need to stop drinking and sh*t posting.

Message 10 of 16 (3,015 Views)