Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Will Anthem be on steam?

by YoItsMaxi
Reply

Original Post

Will Anthem be on steam?

★★★ Novice

Just wondering if Anthem will be on steam because I don't really use Origin and I would really like to play Anthem on steam and im not sure if this question was already asked if it was then sorry about that but I'm really curious if it will be on steam or not. and I hope it will be because Anthem looks so good.

Message 1 of 26 (53,347 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

[ Edited ]

@YoItsMaxi wrote:

Just wondering if Anthem will be on steam because I don't really use Origin and I would really like to play Anthem on steam and im not sure if this question was already asked if it was then sorry about that but I'm really curious if it will be on steam or not. and I hope it will be because Anthem looks so good.


I would expect there to be zero chance it will be on Steam, BioWare's last 3 games have only been on Origin (and consoles).

 

Then, if you think it looks good, having to use Origin isn't a problem, is it? It's just another interface.

________________________________________________________________

Mostly following BioWare and Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 26 (53,325 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

★★★ Novice
Nah, don't think so pal yeah it looks good but not good enough to get it on origin.
Message 3 of 26 (53,315 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

★★★★★ Expert

EA's AAA games (and some others they've acquired from independent studios) are released exclusively on Origin.  Been that way for several years now.  In fact, in North America one couldn't even find Mass Effect: Andromeda on disc, much less on Steam.  It was an Origin download only.

 

There were long contract discussions between Valve and EA.  Both sides had valid points. Neither was willing to change its business practices to accommodate the other.  Result?  No (new) EA games on Steam.

 

But I think you can add non-Steam games to your Steam library if all you care about is having a single interface for launching them.  I know you can do that with Origin.

Message 4 of 26 (53,295 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

★ Pro

Origin has a sore lack of games in their store as it is, so they need to hold on to any exclusives they can to keep Origin relevant. I play Mass Effect and Dragon Age games and for the rest there is nothing I need from Origin. Got everything else in Steam instead, because, well, they actually sell pretty much everything else. Andromeda was probably the last thing I bought on Origin and Anthem could be the next, maybe.

 

Still waiting on Star Wars games from EA, but that might be next year at the earliest as well, so basically last year I made 1 purchase in Origin and none will be made this year and maybe 1-2 next year. From player point of view it's pretty lame to have a whole platform for just a handful of games but I'm sure for EA it does matter.

Message 5 of 26 (53,245 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

Hero

@EgoMania wrote:

From player point of view it's pretty lame to have a whole platform for just a handful of games but I'm sure for EA it does matter.


It's the same with Ubisoft and Blizzard. They want 100% of the cut, so they go with their own client. I agree that it isn't ideal for the consumer. I think GOG is definitely the best service, because they offer games without DRM and don't require you to use their client, but I'm also stuck with Steam, Uplay, Origin, and Battle.Net for other games. I recently tried the Xbox app for a trial of Sea of Thieves, and that is by far the worst game client I ever used.



CCP Hero Banner - Red.png


Message 6 of 26 (53,200 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@EgoMania wrote:

Origin has a sore lack of games in their store as it is, so they need to hold on to any exclusives they can to keep Origin relevant. I play Mass Effect and Dragon Age games and for the rest there is nothing I need from Origin.


You have it backwards. Origin doesn't exist to attract players to EA's games, it exists as the exclusive channel to sell the digital download versions of EA's (new) games. 

 

As I referred to above, Valve demanded its usual percentage of the price for the base games and  all DLC sales through Steam, and insisted that any DLC for games sold on Steam had to be made available on Steam.  EA were not willing to give them that, so they parted ways.  Simple business decision, and EA aren't the only large game publishers making the same one.

Message 7 of 26 (53,155 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

★ Guide

It will not be on steam. Its gonna be on Origin for sure. 

Message 8 of 26 (53,145 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@ThandalNLyman wrote:

@EgoMania wrote:

Origin has a sore lack of games in their store as it is, so they need to hold on to any exclusives they can to keep Origin relevant. I play Mass Effect and Dragon Age games and for the rest there is nothing I need from Origin.


You have it backwards. Origin doesn't exist to attract players to EA's games, it exists as the exclusive channel to sell the digital download versions of EA's (new) games. 

 

As I referred to above, Valve demanded its usual percentage of the price for the base games and  all DLC sales through Steam, and insisted that any DLC for games sold on Steam had to be made available on Steam.  EA were not willing to give them that, so they parted ways.  Simple business decision, and EA aren't the only large game publishers making the same one.


 

Could you please explain why you do this? I never said it was about attracting players. So why do you say I do? It's about the service rendered (or not) and I just find it annoying that they all have their own version and having to have different accounts for each one of them. Steam has the advantage that I can buy a lot more there. That's useful, makes my life easier. It's not about attracting customers, it's about all the stupid admin and various programs I have to run. That's all.

 

Secondly, if it's supposed to be an exclusive sales channel (which by default is meant to attract players ironically), then why are the digital codes even for current EA games in fact NOT exclusive to Origin but available via various vendors at lower prices? That defeats the purpose of an exclusive channel.

 

And so really the only reason at all I use Origin is because I have to because I can't play those games otherwise. So that tells me it's about controlling the players with regards to piracy and interselling of games, not sales.

 

 

 

Message 9 of 26 (53,110 Views)

Re: Will Anthem be on steam?

★ Pro

@Fred_vdp wrote:

@EgoMania wrote:

From player point of view it's pretty lame to have a whole platform for just a handful of games but I'm sure for EA it does matter.


It's the same with Ubisoft and Blizzard. They want 100% of the cut, so they go with their own client. I agree that it isn't ideal for the consumer. I think GOG is definitely the best service, because they offer games without DRM and don't require you to use their client, but I'm also stuck with Steam, Uplay, Origin, and Battle.Net for other games. I recently tried the Xbox app for a trial of Sea of Thieves, and that is by far the worst game client I ever used.



I know and as a player I just think it sucks that you need a platform for pretty much each major developer. I don't expect it to change but for me it's annoying all around

Message 10 of 26 (53,106 Views)
Twitter Stream