Re: Why wasn't this mentioned EA?

by Spunkie_Monkey

Original Post

★★ Guide

Making crates contain only cosmetics would be perfect. That would remove pay to win completely, And as you say EA would earn more than enough cash.  A recent post on Star Wars HQ says EA are looking towards cosmetic crates and making progression less random. Whilst this seems to imply the removal of items needed for progression and performance from crates this is not explicitly stated by EA, just that they are looking to imporve the progression system. So how they will do this is still unclear. They did say that nothing is to late regarding changes to these systems.  So lets put the preasure on!!!! See link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwjTOY_K4lY

Message 21 of 36 (496 Views)

★★ Guide

In addition, making crates cosmetic only means that the hours required for progression can be reduced with no effect on crate cost. Thus making the game less grind and more fun. Please EA cosmetic crates only,  play progression only. You can still earn a fortune this way!!!

Message 22 of 36 (492 Views)

Community Manager

@kwhiskey13 wrote:

@Fred_vdp wrote:

@kwhiskey13 wrote:
You lowered the prices but also made it so we get less credits.

You get fewer credits for finishing the single player campaign. The reward is equal to the cost of unlocking the campaign character as a hero in multiplayer, so when the prices went down, so did the reward. All other rewards should still be the same.

I don't see how lowering the cost for the heroes and then lowering the reward changes anything it will still take about the same amount of time if you are making less credits. In the article it states there are much more changes to credit rewards not just the campaign. They also made it harder to earn credits in arcade mode.

Hi, as I understand it there was only one single reward changed, the reward you get for completing the campaign. As mentioned this is intended to be used to unlock Iden, but is given as a credit reward in case someone has unlocked her already, or just wants to use the credits for different things. Overall Hero costs are significantly reduced, but the "free" Iden from the campaign completion is unchanged.

Also the article doesn't say any other changes were made. The quote from the article is: "What else is different? I need to find out."

Anyway, I don't want to dissuade discussion/constructive criticism, but I wanted to make sure folks had the right info. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 23 of 36 (1,569 Views)

★ Apprentice

was able to cancel my pre order. Its a good day. come on steam sale.

Message 24 of 36 (481 Views)

★★ Guide

I have bitten the bullet and have just preloaded the game. I just hope that EA do the right thing by us all.

Message 25 of 36 (480 Views)

★★★ Guide

@chinnyreckon wrote:

I have bitten the bullet and have just preloaded the game. I just hope that EA do the right thing by us all.

I'd like to buy the game I had a lot of fun during the beta. Although the game is still not perfect disregarding crate progression. I want to focus more on the real issues on the game and give ideas rather then the distracting progression system. I cannot let myself support such greedy design with the game in it's current state. I hope they fix these issues (real fixes!) soon so we can all move past it and just enjoy a good game. Until then I will not be giving them my support with my money. It is the only way to stop this madness. 

Message 26 of 36 (458 Views)

★★★ Guide

@EA_David wrote:

Hi, as I understand it there was only one single reward changed, the reward you get for completing the campaign. As mentioned this is intended to be used to unlock Iden, but is given as a credit reward in case someone has unlocked her already, or just wants to use the credits for different things. Overall Hero costs are significantly reduced, but the "free" Iden from the campaign completion is unchanged.

Also the article doesn't say any other changes were made. The quote from the article is: "What else is different? I need to find out."

Anyway, I don't want to dissuade discussion/constructive criticism, but I wanted to make sure folks had the right info. 

Thank you for the clarification @EA_David. I wish that information was posted in the official announcement and clarified right away. Since I had to find out the campaign reward was also lowered  from another source it made it seem like that's something EA was trying to hide. 

Also for some feedback on this it may be better to simply have Iden be the reward for the campaign and the only way to unlock her rather then giving credits since she seemed to be the intent. If you just give credits many people would rather save or use those for something else. If they were going to give credits it shouldn't based on a specific hero cost but rather the work you put into the campaign.    

Message 27 of 36 (451 Views)

★★ Guide

Saw an article this morning how Belgium apparently want to investigate EA and Blizzard(Overwatch) for loot crates and if it's gambling.

Then it hit me. A lot of us, nerds, have been spending our money for decades, on trading cards, Magic, Pokemon, and so on.

You put down money for a starter kit, then you spend oodles of money on blind packs and hope you get good and no duplicate cards.

Did I miss something, or is this exactly the same? Difference being, in this case a lot of people are jumping on a hate-bandwagon..? And here, instead of dupes, you get crafting parts or credits..

Message 28 of 36 (439 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@ObiWanBonomi wrote:

Saw an article this morning how Belgium apparently want to investigate EA and Blizzard(Overwatch) for loot crates and if it's gambling.

Then it hit me. A lot of us, nerds, have been spending our money for decades, on trading cards, Magic, Pokemon, and so on.

You put down money for a starter kit, then you spend oodles of money on blind packs and hope you get good and no duplicate cards.

Did I miss something, or is this exactly the same? Difference being, in this case a lot of people are jumping on a hate-bandwagon..? And here, instead of dupes, you get crafting parts or credits..

http://www.liebertpub.com/media/content/IGL_02_p11-52.pdf

@ObiWanBonomi you are absolutely right. Your comment holds true to the link provided on gambling stating "It is impossible to eliminate chance from any human activity

There are 3 elements to gambling Consideration, Chance and Prize. (more in depth definition of each element is in the link) If one of these elements is not present then it is not by definition considered gambling, but still can hold elements of it and can be considered quasi-gambling 

When it comes to loot crates how I see it. They hold elements of consideration because you need to pay for the crates with either in game credits or crystals only attainable with real world money. It has chance because what you get is based off of luck, not skill and you don't have a choice of what you get. It doesn't however have prize because you always win something but there is still a risk you wont get what you were hoping for and you put some sort of currency towards it. 

So, this is really still open to interpretation when it comes to loot crates and micro-transactions, but also even card packs as you stated.This matter really should be looked into more deeply because it still holds elements of gambling and can be destructively addicting especially when there is a long grind and the possibility spend to large unresonable amounts of money. Believe or not people spend thousands of dollars on these free to play/ pay to win type mecanics and I was one of them. Foolishly spent over $2,000 on the Lords Mobile app because I got addicted to it.    

EDIT: I just thought of this after I posted. When it comes to trading cards you are actually getting something of real world value that you can sell or trade with. I'll use Magic the Gathering for example since I use to play it. In those packs you were guaranteed a rare or mythic card which in most cases you could sell or possibly trade in for something more valuable then the $3 to $5 you paid for the pack. When in comes to in game loot crates or currency it's not worth anything. you can't sell or trade it and make any money off it after you by it.    

Message 29 of 36 (427 Views)

★★ Guide
the reason i think EA use loot crates rather than normal transactions in which to pay for something you ask for is because with loot crates you most likely will not get something you want which makes you buy again. A nasty way to abuse loyal customers for more cash.
Message 30 of 36 (414 Views)