Why was Warp (and other effective powers) not brought over?

by GigaChadEnhanced

Original Post

Re: Why was Warp (and other effective powers) not brought over?

★ Guide

You are right, I use Overload and Incinerate mostly.  But those are Tech skills.  The pure biotics skills are less effective than they used to be with a lack of Warp.

Message 11 of 21 (854 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I think biotic powers are still very powerful, they're just designed to be more close quarters now than tech powers are. Tech powers are excellent at range but with the exception of flamethrower and maybe Cryo beam aren't the best in close quarters, and lance is just about the only biotic power now that's good for distance.

It also needs to be pointed out that warp/lance probably would've been OP as hell.
Message 12 of 21 (848 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

But I think he was referring to the multiplayer, there's no cross over between powers so no incinerate plus overload by yourself. Almost all great feeling powers have been left out, and the ones that are still there are arranged in a way so they have no synergy, except for on a few characters. In ME3's multiplayer almost all characters felt like they had a purpose because their powers had some relation to one another, and that made them feel so much more unique.

It isn't just Warp, and just of the top of my head there was warp, reave, biotic sphere, biotic orbs, stasis, slash, dark channel and maybe more I've forgotten, but that's just biotics then there was a * ton of tech powers, ammo, equipment and allot more interesting passives. And grenades, let's not forget about the nades, frag, arc, inferno, lift and cluster... Asari vanguard stasis bubble plus lift grenade I miss you

Message 13 of 21 (844 Views)

★★ Apprentice
Krogan engineer has incinerate and overload. She's not great but she has them.

Also, of all the powers you just mentioned maybe 2 were available at launch. You're comparing end state content quantity to launch quantity. That's not an equivalent comparison. Give them some time to come out with more content.

As to the whole biotic combines in mp thing, combos are Much more powerful when more than one person participated. Especially if both have the better combos perk most classes have, as that combo is now benefitting from both players perks.

The new system doesn't make combines useless, it's just built to encourage more teamwork.
Message 14 of 21 (834 Views)

Mid new game, yeah, biotics such as pull throw, and singularity are great....once you start getting up 60 level they start fading fast.  I started out playing a pure biotic caster for about 30 levels then transitioned over to Vanguard/Infiltrator with minors in biotic casting.  Why did I transition, because while sure you can still do ok, I was having to pull throw/explode standard mooks multiple times to kill them....I am talking they are flying HIGH HIGH and still come down, get up and go back to shooting me....it was just easier, quicker and more effective to charge them, gain a shield back, nova/shotgun blast, throw a pull, charge again, than to try and do any kind of prime and detonate combos from a distance.  The combos at later levels also didn't seem to do much especially with all the armor and shields around(though shields seemed to be easier to deal with).  In combat you have 3 working powers, and Adept style of play doesn't stay as effective later, and I have heard as you progress even higher it gets worse too, as enemies continue to level up.

Last game, I was playing Infiltrator....fighting Remanent in the end battle, you know the standard builders and observers, hit them with a full Overload, character level 61, and it didn't even seem to faze them, hit them with a tech explosion and barely see any damage......and it was getting worse the longer I went over level 40...hate to think about what I would face at level 80 as enemies keep leveling.

Having something on an Adept to weaken armor, prime it, or explode it would be great...but I honestly think since they went with 3 active powers(foolishly in my opinion) they tried to combine powers and effects and made them all ok, but not great.  I think they needed to have expanded the usable power amount from 3 to 6 and keep the power specialization of things such as warp and make powers less Jack of All Trades....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 21 (827 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

And what if your pug group doesn't have any detonators? Or they don't feel like cooperating? Self sufficiency is important, attempting to force teamwork on us by making solo combos useless is *, and hopefully they address it in the next patch. I'm primarily talking about multiplayer, idk much about singleplayer, other than guns and powers don't suck nearly as bad there until very high levels where scaling becomes an issue. 

Edit: I don't mind teamwork being encouraged, especially in a co op game, I do feel however that gimping solo qualities to do so is a horrible design choice, and should be removed. 

Message 16 of 21 (821 Views)

★★ Pro

@Crowwalker100 wrote:

If you think the Biotics in the game are under powered you are not using them right etc.. I have no issue with them.. Not trying to be an *.  I love lifting someone holding them and watching my team mate tear them apart, or pulling them to me and melee them and a shotgun to the face..

Admittedly I don't PVP but Ive used pull and throw through two entire PTs now. I love them! I have singularity as my middle skill.

Blow up a singularity will take down shields, use pull and throw combo after and boom.

I tend to like Cora for extra shields for the team and anyone else who can get bonuses to taking down armor.

Message 17 of 21 (807 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I have no interest in MP, but in in the SP portion of the game, Biotic powers start to wain around level 40+.  I can't stand the profile system and decided I was going to stick with pure Adept profile all the way through.  It doesn't work on anything higher than Normal.  The higher you go in level, the less effective your powers are.  I hate melee combat in any game, only ever play ranged.  I have been able to do it on Adept with the trilogy on insanity, but couldn't with MEA.  Had I been able to control my squad mates then I probably could, but since I can't, they just did their own thing and were pretty much pointless.

Melee is a thing now, the game is designed around it, and your only really being effective if you use more than one profile.  So they simply replaced one limitation for another.

Message 18 of 21 (801 Views)

★★ Guide

"We are going to limit you to 3 powers at a time (don't give me this profile garbage, cooldowns are reset when you switch so it's not viable to switch in combat) and you can't manually control squad mates, so if you want to detonate you are forced to bring one primer and one detonator, which only leaves you with one more slot." This is why I just play a gun based soldier with concussive shot and omni grenade, don't have to bother setting up detonations without squad mates help. 

Message 19 of 21 (789 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Atfricks wrote:

Also, of all the powers you just mentioned maybe 2 were available at launch. You're comparing end state content quantity to launch quantity. That's not an equivalent comparison. Give them some time to come out with more content.

Yes I know allot of the characters and powers came later in ME3. I do not mean to sound like I'm whining or that I completely dislike the multiplayer because I want the multiplayer to succeed, but making a multiplayer mode in a new Mass Effect game, you have to expect that a big part of the players are veterans from the third, and my point is why not build on that? Since almost all powers/characters are just a rehash of the old, why not include all of the fun stuff from the get go and then add things that wasn't in the first multiplayer down the road?  I mean if the future updates and dlc's are the same stuff that was added to ME3mp over the years, then what's the point of MEAmp.

And I noticed the Krogan engineer has incinerate and overload, (human engineer copy/paste)

Message 20 of 21 (780 Views)