Why was Warp (and other effective powers) not brought over?

by GigaChadEnhanced

Original Post

Why was Warp (and other effective powers) not brought over?

★★ Guide

(Coming from multiplayer, haven't tried powers in singleplayer really). Having been experimenting with power classes, I have found them extremely lack luster. Warp especially, gave power classes means to deal with armored targets and support their team, and setup for detonations (everyone knows detonations suck now but that horse has been dead for a while). It seems like powers are only really effective for slight utility on mooks. Most cc utility doesn't affect shields/armor, and most don't do any damage either, AND their cooldowns severely limit their effectiveness. Were truly power focused classes not supposed to exist? In 3 they were good and competitive with gun classes, but I don't think they were over powered by any stretch, why such a severe downgrade this time around? I couldn't imagine only using my powers to kill things on a human adept on bronze even,  but in 3 you could easily do that. Such a shame to see that they got massacred with the nerf stick and hope that they get severely buffed (rip throwing mooks around every 1.5 seconds).  

Message 1 of 21 (886 Views)

Re: Why was Warp (and other effective powers) not brought over?

★★★★★ Guide

Probably for metagaming reasons.  Meaning the developers wanted to at least simulate change and mixing it up and there wasn't like a story reason for it.  I doubt it's much beyond that personally.

But who knows for sure?  Oh right, BioWare would.  But outside of that, who would know? 

Message 2 of 21 (881 Views)

★★ Guide

If that's true, this change was surely for the worst :/ Powers just feel soooo bad 

Message 3 of 21 (879 Views)

--Snarky reply---

Cause effective powers took away from the COD feel of MP........

__Real reply....

Cause Bioware probably wanted "Change" and they couldn't think of a better way to "balance" an Adept in single player so they nuked the real effective skills.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 21 (868 Views)

★★ Guide

The snarky reply wouldn't surprise me a bit, given how effective guns are in singleplayer, most of em are worthless in MP but that can be fixed. Powers just not being useful can too, but we don't have any really cool/satisfying powers, all the powers in ME3 sounded really damn cool and were effective in their own ways. Now they don't look cool, sound cool, or do anything, but guns sound great and do work (in singleplayer). 

Message 5 of 21 (861 Views)

★ Guide

Yeah I don't get why they straight up removed it either.  There are still good  builds that can effectively replace it of course.

Hopefully they will bring it back in DLC for either MP or both down the line though. Wishful thinking.

Message 6 of 21 (858 Views)

★★ Guide

No idea, would love to see it introduced to atleast singleplayer. They would have to rework entire MP classes to add it in there so that's a no go :/ They can remove pull, worthless ability and give us warp in it's place! 

Message 7 of 21 (849 Views)

Hero

I asked the lead designer once on Twitter and he said power stripping abilities were included in certain biotic upgrades. I haven't found one that strips armor, but biotic pull can be upgraded to take away shields.

I think the main reason is because there are no defined class borders anymore. Warp was useful against armor and for combo detonations, but you also have access to fire powers and other detonators, so maybe it felt redundant.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 21 (836 Views)

★★ Apprentice
I have a powers build in campaign that uses incinerate and energy drain with the skills that make them both prime and both detonate, and the engineer profile. All I do is fire detonate anything without shields and tech detonate anything with them, and very little survives more than one or two.
Powers builds are still totally viable, you just haven't found one that's good yet.
Message 9 of 21 (813 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

If you think the Biotics in the game are under powered you are not using them right etc.. I have no issue with them.. Not trying to be an *.  I love lifting someone holding them and watching my team mate tear them apart, or pulling them to me and melee them and a shotgun to the face..

Message 10 of 21 (799 Views)