Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Why so reluctant to fix the loot?

by Ragnarok1223

Original Post

Why so reluctant to fix the loot?

★★★★ Novice

You ignore this on Reddit so I figured let me listen to Ben and post it here.  

Why do you refuse to acknowledge the loot problem?

The MAIN problem with your game is players don't have a guaranteed path of progression.

You get on, you kill enemies and you pray the God's bless you with loot.

That's not fun or engaging

How about, and this is just an example.

All gm3 bosses and chest have legendary items in it, most of the loot we get in GM 3 should be legendary.

And that's just the start, if you only do this change people will just go kill whatever is fastest. 

You should have different items from different activities. Maybe guns from HoR, abilities from sunken temples, defense components from contracts etc etc 

Come on man, respect our time. This is your MAIN problem.

Everyone is walking away salty instead of happy.

You give us loot at least when we get bored we'll feel satisfied

Message 1 of 18 (559 Views)

Re: Why so reluctant to fix the loot?

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm sure further down the road there will be some sort of paid incentive to increase loot worth - this is EA remember. This is why they don't want you maxing out too soon because once you have everything is worthless thereafter. I idea is to keep you playing to the point you get frustrated enough to spend money. Ether to relieve boredom or increase your stats.

War chests will have known weapons and goodies in the future which you can buy later on - you wait and see....

Message 2 of 18 (545 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Ragnarok1223  Skill up answers this rather nicely on YouTube. They don’t want to fix loot since the game is empty and BioWare is scared, or rather was scared, to lose the player base. Players left anyway but they left pissed off assuring that they won’t come back. 

Message 3 of 18 (538 Views)

Message 4 of 18 (527 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I dunno.  I came home last night and thought "I'm going to play some Anthem."  Then I was just "meh".

Then I sat and watched Meet Joe Black with my wife.  

Yes.  That's how bad it is right now with no new Anthem content.  I'm pretty sure it was on the Women's Network, because the film is basically a 2-hour long maxi pad commercial.

And I ran out of tequila during the middle of it.

Bioware, please create new content so I can get my Man-Card back.

Message 5 of 18 (518 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@AcKilleeZ wrote:

I'm sure further down the road there will be some sort of paid incentive to increase loot worth - this is EA remember. This is why they don't want you maxing out too soon because once you have everything is worthless thereafter. I idea is to keep you playing to the point you get frustrated enough to spend money. Ether to relieve boredom or increase your stats.

War chests will have known weapons and goodies in the future which you can buy later on - you wait and see....

As I recall, they were specifically saying they don’t plan on adding any pay-to-win stuff, let alone loot crates, and the only MTX are going to be cosmetic items that will also be possible to obtain with in-game currency.

In fact, that might be part of the reason they don’t want to increase the loot drops. Once everybody has BiS Legos (which would likely happen within a week of increasing the drop rates to what people are asking for), people would be demanding another tier that’s even higher, and so on and so forth, until the playerbase is split between 100 hours/week folks who can one-shot GM3 titans and people with jobs who are still trying to get Masterworks in GM1 where hardly anyone is playing anymore. Letting the latter category buy gear to get up to speed would be one way to solve that situation, but then everyone would be on their case about it because they kinda promised they won’t do that.

There is also the issue that as they add more and more powerful gear, they would kinda have to add more difficulty tiers, which would introduce further issues with queue times. The more separate queues you have, the lesser the chances there will be four people in any given queue at any given time. Many people won’t wait a couple minutes for someone to backfill from quickplay if they don’t see a full squad on load in, they’ll just close the game and go post on reddit that the game is dieing.

My impression is that right now they meant for everyone to primarily use Masterworks for all content, with Legendaries being a long-term goal that may take months to obtain. Except everyone now considers Masterworks garbage because they drop often enough to pick and choose the best ones. I’m not sure why people think the same won’t happen with Legendaries if they boost the drop rates for those.

There is also the part where, as far as I can tell, the current system is much less granular than people assume. Inscriptions that can roll up to 400% or whatever don’t actually roll 1-400%, they have a handful of fixed values to roll from, so getting BiS Legos wouldn’t take as long as people assume if drop rates were increased.

Finally, I think part of it is lack of useful feedback. Most people complaining about loot seem to just want them to increase drop rates, when in reality the main issue is that the system uses actual pure RNG, which doesn’t work in practice. But saying “this doesn’t work” doesn’t necessarily tell them anything about what would.

They also have acknowledged fairly early that the way the loot currently drops isn’t working that well. The problem is that fixing it involves coming up with a solution that works and implementing the systems that would enable better mechanics (which would take a while and cannot be done until they decide what the loot drops should actually look like). Which is why they have said they anticipate it possibly taking months to “fix the loot.”

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 6 of 18 (508 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

It is the devs' way to throttle progression and keep players, lol.

How's that working out Bioware?!

Message 7 of 18 (444 Views)

★★★ Guide

@cake404  Lack of useful feedback? People have been saying it for months! Increase drop rate, fix inscriptions, etc. The drop rate was only good two times and both were unintended bugs as a result of patches. Did they keep bug in? No. Even after the community was begging them to keep it as it was with the bug. RNG is one thing, but bad drop rates are something else. 

Message 8 of 18 (408 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Since they are dropping luck. That partially shows as to a system that maybe does not work as intended for its original design.

I imagine a dice with 100 sides. and 1 little spot you can roll on, that potentially drop a legendary. For the rest of those 99 spots. You have the various items that can drop, or spaces that equate to no drop at all. So it may be 50 spaces with no value or item to them, so no drop. And you have 49 spaces left for drop chances. If something is supposed to increase our drop chances through luck does that luck multiply those spots by a certain percentage, so even if they doubled it, you would still have 2 spots out of 100. This is only speculation. We as players don't know how the drop system for Anthem works or how it was designed. If they did up the drop chance, would that really benefit the game, or the players? You could include, well more players would come back because they would get drops, and that would increase the population of the servers once again. But for how long? They have to plan this out, I am guessing. Maybe they want to try out a new system. Yes people are not happy with the drops. I wasn't, but then again I did not leave the game because I wasn't getting legendary drops that often. 

Message 9 of 18 (384 Views)

Champion

@Silversurferguy wrote:

@cake404  Lack of useful feedback? People have been saying it for months! Increase drop rate, fix inscriptions, etc. The drop rate was only good two times and both were unintended bugs as a result of patches. Did they keep bug in? No. Even after the community was begging them to keep it as it was with the bug. RNG is one thing, but bad drop rates are something else. 

People keep saying that they want to get more Legos because they want a sense of progression. The same people keep saying that Masterworks are trash they salvage without looking because they drop so often. Masterworks can have better stats than lower end Legendaries in some cases, but people say that’s an issue as well. Guess what happens if Legendaries start dropping like Masterworks:

• People who play every day will have close to BiS Legos within a week or two, and again start complaining that Legendaries are trash and they don’t get a sense of progression anymore.
  • Adding more gear tiers would require adding more difficulty tiers, because otherwise even GM3 would be so easy it would get boring after a while.
  • Playerbase slowly gets split across a bunch of difficulty tiers, and anyone who can’t keep up with the majority eventually gets left behind on a tier most people no longer play. New players get screwed extra hard because they won’t even be able to get their MWs once Hard/GM1 queues dry up, because good luck soloing GM1 in Epics.
  • When people with god-rolled Legendary III+ queue for GM1 to help the noobies, the “lucky” noobies will basically see everything dying instantly before they get a shot in. Sure, they’ll get gear, but it also isn’t fun in terms of gameplay
  • The way it currently works, you can’t get XP unless you get feats, and you can’t get feats when someone one-shots all enemies before you get a shot in. This means that people with OPAF gear will be able to actually grief people by denying them XP.

Finally, another factor is the fact that the Vault is currently capped at 250 items per character, for “performance reasons,” meaning that getting higher loot tiers pretty much forces you to delete the lower tier gear. Meaning people wouldn’t be able to “gear down” for lower difficulties even if they wanted to. I suspect one of the main things that is slowing them down in terms of “fixing loot” is figuring out how to raise the Vault cap without side-effects. It was 600 during the demo, but there were also tons of people getting stuck in infinite loading screens (which I think were the demo’s version of Error Loading Pilot Data).

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 10 of 18 (370 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help