Why playing a BR FPS if all you do is trying to avoid ANY fights?

by HopesKunai

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why playing a BR FPS if all you do is trying to avoid ANY fights?

★★★ Pro

I constantly run into very passive players on my team who seem TOTALLY scared of taking fights.

First of all, it's PUBS, so what have you got to lose?

Then, I understand not being reckless in your pushes, but a happy medium would be great!

So, if you are a player with a passive playstyle --which is fine-- and try to avoid ANY fights, why do you do it?

I'm sincerely interested in understanding the motivations behind it.

Message 1 of 27 (1,352 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Why playing a BR FPS if all you do is trying to avoid ANY fights?

★★★★ Guide
@HopesKunai When I first started playing I was heavy into cping and letting other teams destroy each other. Its a strat that seriously led to me having my highest win percentage seasons. What curved me from that was spending the whole game hiding and then having a pre-made pred squad kill you in 2 seconds, 15 of looting and having everything decked out to be insta downed while doing 15 damage was a horrible feeling so I decided to get better and have more fun. In pubs I almost always go hot just because I want to set a good tone either we win and start playing the game more strategic because after first ring it's like 3 or 4 teams that you have to find or we lose quick and I hop into another game. I play ranked very passive tho and am very selective of the battles I fight. But that doesn't always matter because the other day we pushed one team that respawned a teammate then get 4th partied where I got thirsted, get brought back to get 4th partied again. After that we had 1 fight for positioning for ring but by the end of the game we had 23 kills as a squad and only made one push to a fight and got 2nd place.

View in thread

Message 8 of 27 (1,265 Views)

All Replies

Champion
@HopesKunai I think the people that avoid fights until the end are hoping to 3P the final team for the win. It is a legit strategy sometimes but I have no idea how people do it constantly. But hey that is the beauty of a BR where winning can happen with no kills.
Message 2 of 27 (1,344 Views)

★ Guide

I mean from my perspective (someone that usually plays pretty passive and chooses specific fights), I think it comes down to what you want out of the game and how much you want to engage to engage versus engage to win. I think the players you are playing with recently are ones that are prioritizing winning over fights. I know it is pubs, but some people feel too much pressure playing ranked and dont want to queue into it. I also think some people don't want to engage in a worthless fight just to die, I personally hate hot dropping because I get no satification from kill an unarmed enemy while I r-99 them with my purple shield and the opposite is very frustrating. I'd rather grab a white shield and serviceable gun near by and then push the POI after some people get knocked or fighting is already going on. 

TBH i find people that force fights more annoying than people that play passively. Id rather take 1-3 good fights after looting and win than 1 dumb fight on the drop and lose. 

My 2 cents

Message 3 of 27 (1,337 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@hayhor

It could be. So they hope not to get 3rd partied themselves while attempting to third party another team.
Sure, a win can happen also when all your opponents die to the ring. I had a win with a combined total squad damage of 0. The last 2 teams died to the ring while fighting each other.

It wasn't a great win. Surprising? for sure, feeling good about it> No.

Message 4 of 27 (1,334 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@ThiccccQuava

And I understand. Being pro active does not mean pushing mindlessly. Even w+keyers, the good ones, pick and chose their fights.Dropping mindlessly and die on spawn is frustrating for sure, and contrary to what many players seem to believe IT DOES NOT HELP YOU IMPROVE.

I find extra passive players kill very much the enjoyment of the game for me. Mind you, as I said above, running into a fight with no team to back you up is equally annoying, but that is a topic in and of itself.

Sure, I do not play ranked at all. Specifically because I don;t have a team, and I would be left to play ranked as most players play pubs, with team that have too much of a diverse playstile to be any effective.

I just don;t understand it. At one point you have to fight, the problem is, with no fights you get at the end with a white armor, and eventually one lucky member with a blu one... not really effective against all red teams IMO

Message 5 of 27 (1,330 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@HopesKunai Probably a combination of what the ppl above have said. The mindset you’re on has a great hint of FPS in it.

BRs are basically king of the hill games. Last one standing on top is the winner. No matter the method. Cheat, manipulate, tactics, run & gun and so on. Goal is to win, more so than most other competitive genres since you have only 1 life basically...

Due to this being a shooter I can understand the tone with which you ask how ppl can play this game tho, but unless ppl are mindless drones, extremely confident (in their skillz) or a mix or partway between those 2, they’re not going to run from engagement to engagement or are not even willing to engage ones.
They can also just prepare for easy playings, prepare for ranked, seen this play on yt, like being passive or any other factor.

It’s sad when you are the rowdy type and see a fight and want to join and ping and run towards it only to see that your teammates are still standing still 200m behind you looking at you xD...

If they played passively in a shooter shooter tho... and not sniping or anything but actively camping and doing nothing, okay then we could have a flameout how such ppl should just play online monopoly.... nothing worse than getting killed by a claymore from a player huddled in such a dark spot with only 1 kill at the end of a 9 min match that he’d scare the boogeyman... XD
Message 6 of 27 (1,313 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Koochi-Q

I understand playing smart. Sometimes you can just engage, and sometimes you have to disengage, as a team. Sometimes you have enough resources to take a fight sometimes not. Then obviously position matters in why or not taking a fight.
But running away, and i mean in the opposite direction, including in the microwave... well that seems to me the behavior of someone who would much rather play a different game.
Message 7 of 27 (1,291 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@HopesKunai When I first started playing I was heavy into cping and letting other teams destroy each other. Its a strat that seriously led to me having my highest win percentage seasons. What curved me from that was spending the whole game hiding and then having a pre-made pred squad kill you in 2 seconds, 15 of looting and having everything decked out to be insta downed while doing 15 damage was a horrible feeling so I decided to get better and have more fun. In pubs I almost always go hot just because I want to set a good tone either we win and start playing the game more strategic because after first ring it's like 3 or 4 teams that you have to find or we lose quick and I hop into another game. I play ranked very passive tho and am very selective of the battles I fight. But that doesn't always matter because the other day we pushed one team that respawned a teammate then get 4th partied where I got thirsted, get brought back to get 4th partied again. After that we had 1 fight for positioning for ring but by the end of the game we had 23 kills as a squad and only made one push to a fight and got 2nd place.
Message 8 of 27 (1,266 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Ironflower196

I much appreciate everyone's input. I wish I could do more than just awarding points.
thank you for your time!
Message 9 of 27 (1,261 Views)

Champion
@Ironflower196 One thing is for sure. When you see a respawn and decide to push, get ready for 4 other teams to have the same idea.
Message 10 of 27 (1,255 Views)