Why people are not buying enough - explanation

by D3loFF

Original Post

Why people are not buying enough - explanation

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Hello Respawn,

Today I've read the so called discussion which is going on on the Internet regarding calling the players freeloaders and some other insults fired from both sides. As a gamer for years and also a person which was insanely interested in the whole virtual items thing since the times of CS:GO I will tell you what I think.

You are complaining that people are not buying enough, but have you considered that the players aren't getting anything in return. What I mean is that players are buying/earning skins which are completely stuck in their inventory and there is no opportunity to get rid of them. CS:GO had such insanely enormous success with the skins, because there was a trading opportunity in Steam. They've earned millions from the transactions cut - literally.

If you want cash flow and people buying large amounts of skins then you need to implement trading between players and have a cut of the transactions and transform the store to have only robot packs. Your developers were speaking of how much data there is about how free-to-play games generate money and blah blah blah, but apparently they need to understand how economy works and what makes something rare, wanted and expensive.

I know, I know, this idea may sound radical to implement to some people, but it has been proven in the past that it is working just fine. Also this is just a practical real-world explanation why the percentage of people buying is so low. If you want someone to buy something, this "thing" has to have a real-world value, no matter whether it is virtual item or not. And again this is just an explanation and my opinion - I'm not binding anyone with it in ANY way.

Message 1 of 14 (538 Views)

Re: Why people are not buying enough - explanation

★★★★★ Apprentice
@D3loFF Id be on board with that. But we cant pretend CSGO had it perfect. There was all those Skin gambling sites and if i recall correctly, didnt a pro team take a dive at a tourney for a bunch of skins or something along those lines? I cant really remember. But without a doubt, player trading helped CSGO be as big as it is
Message 2 of 14 (521 Views)

★★ Pro

This is what I’m waiting for.

The Steam market place is a major catalyst for liquidity and driving sales. The gambling term people mention here is apt for CS - not so much Apex.

I think EA and others are afraid of going that route. It would be a lot of bad press for a company trying to be «family friendly» haha

A «legendary» item in CS is super rare and your chances of getting one is quite slim. The same would have to happen here. The probability for legendary loot would have to be divided by 100.

Keeping fingers crossed Standard smile

Message 3 of 14 (507 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@PlugYourMuddIt wasn't perfect I completely agree. Well Respawn have enough time and resources to sit and think how to make it better.

@-BiA-PesqezIt does not have to be EA Origin based - it can be in-game marketplace. It is 2019 one can develop anything. Also as I said above Respawn can do it intelligently.  CS:GO had it so huge with millions less players - now imagine what I can be with 50 million?

It is not me after all who is complaining that people are not buying non-usable items. Wink

Message 4 of 14 (498 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@-BiA-Pesqez i have to disagree, Ea LOVES bad press. They would do anything in a heartbeat for it hahaha

But jokes aside there would have to be a lot of changes to Origin Platform. Id imagine heirlooms would act as the knifes/gloves for apex but i dont know much about EA's other titles and their Cosmetics and if theyre even desirable.

What csgo did amazing was the trade up contract. Making crappy skins actually worth something in the long run. Games like Pubg failed to do this and so now you have a market crash. i swear like 85% of the Cosmetics in pubg are worth only 3 cents.
Message 5 of 14 (489 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@PlugYourMuddFor the possible trading platform - it does not have to be Origin Based I think it can be developed purely in-game.

As for PUBG - it is a military-based game with real working camouflage and in such game you don't need pink-white-unicorn-sniper or a red-pirate uniform visible from 2 miles away, but a "real" thing which would help you in game. This was their mistake and it cost them much.

Message 6 of 14 (479 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@D3loFFwell if you remember correct, the skins worth the most werent military skins, they were skirts, leopard bandannas and other really fruity things. The military skins were always somewhere in the middle.Their mistake wasn't necassarily the quality of skins, it was the restrictions. PUBG implemented a no trade policy on skins. All skins HAVE to go thru the market. this happened when Valve was cracking down on the gambling sites and put a 2 week waiting period on trades. Those restrictions REALLY hurt their market big time

Message 7 of 14 (465 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

i guess my point is, if they were to do in game trading/market, i don't really want to see restrictions that can kill their economy. The freedom to do whatever with your skins in csgo is what made it so amazing. The fact that i sold an AK skin to preorder CyberPunk 2077 is awesome. 

Message 8 of 14 (445 Views)

★★ Guide
@PlugYourMudd Awesome, that's what I'm talking about - you had something with real-life value and traded it for something else. Nice move you pulled out there.
Message 9 of 14 (422 Views)

★★ Pro

I think the reason Apex isn’t selling succesfully is the skins aren’t worth anything. There is little actual rarity and supply is endless.

Legendaries are so common that when people get an Epic they feel EA rips them off.

And why pay for a so called legendary when anyone else can have it for a few bucks.

Fortnite is the excpetion, they can sell $5-20 skins with no actual value but they succesfully target «kids». Although Fortnite have upped their skin game slightly.

In the same category as Apex we have other skin floppers such as Battlefield, Black Ops and  Rainbow Six.

Yes, market is needed but EA will never provide one. Too much red tape in the way. 

But sure, if Respawn and others opens up for transferring skins to other account then markets will appear, EAs back would be free Standard smile

Message 10 of 14 (421 Views)