Re: Why not Six?

by SlyGuy237

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why not Six?

★★★★ Guide

Five per side just seems very weird. Why not six? Three wing pairs makes more sense to me. A flight, or half a squadron in many organizations. I have to think that this had to be considered. Can anyone think of a reason why five might be preferable?

Message 1 of 10 (1,405 Views)

Accepted Solution

Champion (Retired)

@Mithrilynn 

It's possibly due to map size and less chaos so to speak. A lot of competitive games or game modes roll 5v5 and seems to be the ideal numbers in a competitive environment where people can communicate really well. The bigger the teams the more chaotic things tend to be and less organised which is usually better for a more casual game mode. But I think 5v5 happens to be the sweetspot for this game because you know there will be a lot of communication in this game with pro pilots.

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (1,371 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

@Mithrilynn 

It's possibly due to map size and less chaos so to speak. A lot of competitive games or game modes roll 5v5 and seems to be the ideal numbers in a competitive environment where people can communicate really well. The bigger the teams the more chaotic things tend to be and less organised which is usually better for a more casual game mode. But I think 5v5 happens to be the sweetspot for this game because you know there will be a lot of communication in this game with pro pilots.

Message 2 of 10 (1,372 Views)

★★ Pro
@Mithrilynn I think 5 player squad is okay. I think having 6 is okay as well but since they already set it to 5 player squad might as well just go with it for now.
Message 3 of 10 (1,334 Views)

★★ Pro
@Mithrilynn Why not 20v20? 5v5 is an easy, round number, as well as keeping the games small and easy to find. As Carbon said, its a sweetspot.
Message 4 of 10 (1,311 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I wouldn’t want any more than six. I absolutely get that you can’t have too many to communicate effectively. I have been doing these kinds of games for a long time also.  It’s just my opinion right now (and playing squadrons may change that) that having three wing pairs would allow a little more cohesiveness as well as obviously more flexibility. 

Message 5 of 10 (1,307 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide
@Mithrilynn the only thing I can think of, just shooting from the hip, is that 5 makes a squad have to prioritize. Have multiple, even numbers of everything creates less drama? I don't know why 5v5 has always been a thing. Maybe someone does because I would like to know
Message 6 of 10 (1,274 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I'd also have preferred a half-squadron of six (two flights of three or three wing pairs), although I'd have loved a full squadron of 12 with four flights of three or 6 wing pairs even more (at the very least for co-op).

However, I think it's mostly due to technical limitations on consoles as well as the thought it may not be as easy to coordinate for more people. Wasn't a problem with the old X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, though.

Message 7 of 10 (1,173 Views)

★ Guide

After Battlefornt 2, which forced you to have a large teams of Friends or Lose, Im looking forward to 5 person teams. 

Hopefully, I get good enough where I can take on 5 person (so-so teams) All by myself .  Standard smile

Message 8 of 10 (1,130 Views)

★★ Guide

It would work if you have 1 Squadron Leader and 2 Flgiths. This is one way to approach it if you are part of an organised group playing together.

MercenarySW

Squadrons - TAW Seal.png

Message 9 of 10 (929 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Mithrilynn 2 reasons 1 starwars canon dictates groups 5.
second all the other starwars flight sims have groups of 5.
Message 10 of 10 (839 Views)