Why no Tutorials?

by columbia93

Original Post

Why no Tutorials?

★ Guide

I just purchased Origin Access and was really excited about getting to try out a bunch of games - to then decide if I just was to purchase the games or stay with Access. However, I'm just pretty much exhausted with the whole thing.

Why are there no tutorials in these games? There isn't even anything as simple as helping with the controls on many of the games and certainly no direction or instruction on what it is you're even supposed to do. We had more of a tutorial in the Sims games than most of these games have!

Fe - I just ran around in circles until I went online and found a walk-through. The thing is, a walk-through is more than a tutorial and actually is a cheat in a way so, instead of just getting the basics on the game, I got the basics through flat-out telling me what to do! Same goes for many games. I've spent two weeks just trying to figure out how to move ahead in most of the games and have not really gotten to play any!

I'd purchased Unravel a while back and it was the same thing. I had to go to a walk-through just to get my initial bearings and I've not gone back....but at least it was enough to get me going. That's all I'm asking for the rest of the games....help that doesn't give away the whole game.

Just venting....

Message 1 of 2 (341 Views)

Re: Why no Tutorials?

@columbia93 Both Fe and Unravel are made by indie devs, sponsored and published by EA. My guess is that money and time were the main issue during development and they had to cut some things. Unravel is better played with a friend. Together, you should be able to finish those games in a day or so. 

Many of the games in Origin Access are not developed by EA. They belong to various publishers and devs and it's up to them to decide if they implement a tutorial or not. Some are not able to, due to lack of resources (that is the case of most of the indie devs, sadly), other, well, it's the publishers that are pressing the devs to get the game done in time. Many publishers will prefer to skip the tutorials and let the player figured the game out. Not a good policy, in my opinion, but that's how things are working in our days. 

We used to have demos and trials, but few publishers invest in those lately. Those were good marketing tools, back in the nineties, but they were pushed aside in the past decade. Still, EA offers some trials, now and then, Ubi's uPlay has a few demos and trials, Steam has its free to play week-ends. But it's not the case for everyone and not even for all the publishers/devs. 

So expect to encounter many games without a tutorial. If it's a big dev, chances are that the game will have some sort of tutorial. If it's a small one... Well, they probably used their resources making the game, skipping the tutorial part.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 2 (301 Views)