Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Why is there so much toxicity related to Anthem?

by shifter_6x

Original Post

Re: Why is there so much toxicity related to Anthem?

[ Edited ]

@Spiritual-Zombie wrote:

For me, it’s definitely my favorite game of the year so far. The fun I’ve had with friends and building up my Ranger... the co-op battles, the guns, the flying... I love the gameplay and the controls. This game is an instant classic for me.

Pretty much this. Yes, it's now time for some more content and some work on loot balancing, but the core game is good.

@MrCrusteePants wrote:

Because they lied to us about what the game was....They told us at E3 that what they showed us was actual in game footage and it's not.... 

I keep reading this nonsense, what was it then? It wasn't a CGI animation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 11 of 58 (254 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Just because you feel something isn't likely to happen doesn't mean you should discourage people from politely asking...

I read many complaints ranging from every conceivable issue with Anthem.

My point was that I feel most of the issues with Anthem (including those you mentioned), aren't occurring as frequently as they used to. I don't personally experience many of these problems with any regularity. I still experience some of those issues occasionally, but not more than once or twice per day. The issues aren't game-breaking and have definitely been minimized compared to just after launch. While there is still much work to do in order to improve Anthem, anyone can see that the frequency of issues has diminished dramatically from initial launch and continues to diminish with every patch. 

There's no reason to be so overwhelmingly negative. You sound as if there's no hope, but the game is still new and improvements are steadily being made. 

Message 12 of 58 (229 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I disagree that Games as a Service (GaaS) are a joke. 

Personally, I have no interest in games that don't offer continuous content over time. Any game that isn't open-ended offers fixed content and once you play it through, it's basically done. I haven't felt any games of this type had any replay value. Additionally, games of this type still experience bugs/glitches and when you're binge-playing through the game, you don't have time to wait for the developer to fix the problems before you beat the game. 

I realize not everyone feels the same way. There are a lot of great fixed-content games out there and I'm sure I would enjoy some of them. It's just that I don't personally find that type of game as appealing. 

I also don't agree that the game will tank within a year. They have put a lot of time and effort into the game and it would be a waste if they didn't follow through and continue to improve it. 

The main thing you need to understand is that games aren't like they used to be. As technology advances in game development, so does complexity. Some issues are impossible to anticipate and have to be resolved after launch. It's not that the game developers were lazy. It's just that you can't test for certain problems due to the wide range of variables that deal with situations that don't present themselves in test environments. In those situations, it wouldn't matter how many QA people you have scrutinizing the game, they still wouldn't be able to detect issues that only present themselves in a live environment. 

Message 13 of 58 (224 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Of course the game can be fixed.

The decision to delay the release of the roadmap content that wasn't ready was a solid one. Rather than releasing something that revealed a number of issues that might damage the stability of the current live release, it's better to wait until it is ready. 

I also fully understand the inability to anticipate issues before they occur. Sometimes, it's just impossible to anticipate. You have to make the best decisions based on what you're working with at the time. You really shouldn't form arbitrary opinions related to progress without knowing all the details. 

I'm also disappointed with the delay in releasing new content and with the number of issues that are still present in Anthem. However, I do feel they are making good progress resolving issues with the game and I look forward to the Pilot Mastery System, among other elements and game features that have been announced for future release. 

Message 14 of 58 (222 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I can accept your assessment. You sound reasonable in your comments.

I also feel that the communication from the Anthem community manager(s) suddenly diminished from their initially very active state. However, I can honestly see why the communication has diminished. With so much open hostility, you have to be very careful not to say too much or promise anything at a specific date because you don't want to add more fuel to the fire. 

It's true that Anthem can be perceived to have made some mistakes worthy of complaint, but unless the criticism is constructive, you can't really expect to produce a very positive result.

I'm reading a great deal of unwarranted toxic remarks about Anthem, but it's not the only title to receive so much hate. The online community is increasingly more toxic because the online society doesn't enforce general decency. People can say whatever they want online, and unless it's illegal (and often if it is), there is no penalty. 

I feel that the level of communication *wouldn't* have diminished dramatically if the general approval of the title didn't become overwhelmingly toxic. Everyone spewing toxic comments and encouraging other people to share their hate caused Anthem community manager(s) to go on the defensive. 

Message 15 of 58 (205 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I agree with the concept that we need to share our constructive criticism. We need share what we do like about Anthem from time to time in order to compensate for the negativity. 

There's nothing I've seen about Anthem that isn't fixable. I have so many ideas about improvements, but with all the negativity spamming the forums, I wonder if the people that matter will actually read my posts. That's why I post and ask people to stop being so toxic. I fully realize that haters are going to hate and that I will probably be personally targeted and assigned trendy labels such as "white knight" or "ostrich" for supporting what they see as a hopeless title that will tank in a year. 

Itemization definitely needs some work, but I recall almost every Game as a Service title that I really liked having horrible itemization. I honestly don't know what they were thinking with some of the inscriptions and the types of items that received certain inscriptions... but as bad as itemization is... it can very easily be fixed. Will it? Who can say? All I know is that it would be very easy to improve. 

I feel that once they fix the major problems, there will be time to start working on overall quality of life improvements for the game, such as adding more content to freeplay so it doesn't feel so empty flying around in a beautiful world.

There is massive potential for Anthem. It's just that if widespread toxicity keeps up, the focus will be on damage control instead of following their initial vision of producing the game many people expected after watching the E3 demo pre-launch. I'm sure that's what they *wanted* to release. I'm sure that they had to dial a lot of that back in order to meet deadlines and other red tape requirements. I'm still glad they released when they did. Most people probably don't realize how cutthroat game creation is in the modern world. In order to keep financial support for a title, it has to continue to profit and meet quotas, etc. Unfortunately, that means many insanely good titles are buried before they have a chance to reach their true potential. It's so difficult to create a game because of the amount of time and money and support from the gaming community a title needs to maintain financial backing to make it successful.

I wish more people realized that *before* they decided to complain. It's so easy to point the finger, but why don't the haters go try to make a title themselves if they think it's so easy? I doubt people would be so quick to blame after being on the other side of the finger. 

Message 16 of 58 (200 Views)

★★ Guide

There’s toxicity in any community. However, some of it could have been avoided if BioWare had put out a good game. I’m willing to bet that most of the toxicity is from the fact that we were lied to and are mad they wasted $60-$80 on a broken and  incomplete product. The anger only gets worse when the devs don’t listen to the player base and refuses to give what players have been begging for since day one. 

Message 17 of 58 (174 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Yeah I've never seen a game get so many negatives articles in such a short period of time. There is a hatred for Anthem like I've never seen before and I just dont get it at all. I saw a article ripping on anthem the other day when it pointed out how its already on sale for half price and how that shows it's a bad game. I remember seeing a guy on these forums about a week or two ago saying you never see AAA games going on sale this fast so it proves anthem is a total failure. He pointed out how much better the Division 2 is and that you wont see it on sale like anthem. Well I stumbled on to this article today... 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.vg247.com/2019/05/15/days-gone-anth...

So does that mean the Division 2 is a failure too?..especially when it hasnt been out as long as anthem.

Message 18 of 58 (168 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Silversurferguy wrote:

There’s toxicity in any community. However, some of it could have been avoided if BioWare had put out a good game. I’m willing to bet that most of the toxicity is from the fact that we were lied to and are mad they wasted $60-$80 on a broken and  incomplete product. The anger only gets worse when the devs don’t listen to the player base and refuses to give what players have been begging for since day one. 

Yup, Pretty much. The fact that they title the game as live service but have gone silent. On updates and state of the game. What next... no one knows. Live service my *. That really triggers me. One day I think we will see a guarentee on games. A guarentee to the consumer. Money back guarentee. So many good and services in the world are backed my these types of guarantees. It shows confidence in a product and service. Will eliminate these types of situation that bioware has caused. Holding these companies at a high standard. It's not 2002 anymore. Let's make good lasting games and hold them to  their word. 

A quote from bioware: "we want Anthem to be the "BOB Dylan" of games."  

Yeah, they were close....?!?!?

Message 19 of 58 (130 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@shifter_6x wrote:

I have been reading a lot of the complaints about this game since launch and it's very disappointing that people are so overwhelmingly negative and toxic for no apparent reason. In a perfect world, every game would be released on time and have no bugs or glitches of any kind at any time... but this isn't a perfect world. It's not realistic to expect *any* game of *any* kind to work flawlessly.

I had been waiting for this game to come out since I first heard about it and find the game to be very promising. The general theme is very appealing to me and I love all of the potential this game has. Is the game perfect? No. Could the game be improved? Definitely. These are questions you can ask about any other game and have the same answer for. 

Rather than attacking the people that created the game and work to continuously improve it, it would be much more productive to utilize constructive criticism. Simply talk about what you don't like or don't agree with and then suggest a viable solution or at least mention the area you feel should be improved. None of us should be here reading and posting on the forums if we didn't like the vision of the game. If you feel you can contribute an idea that might improve Anthem, post it... just please refrain from toxic remarks. 

it isnt a freaking matter of "bugs and glitches" but a matter of legal lawsuit about lying, not delivering on promised features, delaying roadmap INFINITELY, having ZERO actual content and being dead silent to your customers who already paid you. If youd buy a PC with a premise of it working out oif the box but later found out it can only run minecraft and 2,5 programs with a promise of it getting better in a year well guess what, YOUD BE PRETTY PISSED.

Message 20 of 58 (125 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help