Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Why is there so much toxicity related to Anthem?

by shifter_6x

Original Post

Why is there so much toxicity related to Anthem?

★ Apprentice

I have been reading a lot of the complaints about this game since launch and it's very disappointing that people are so overwhelmingly negative and toxic for no apparent reason. In a perfect world, every game would be released on time and have no bugs or glitches of any kind at any time... but this isn't a perfect world. It's not realistic to expect *any* game of *any* kind to work flawlessly.

I had been waiting for this game to come out since I first heard about it and find the game to be very promising. The general theme is very appealing to me and I love all of the potential this game has. Is the game perfect? No. Could the game be improved? Definitely. These are questions you can ask about any other game and have the same answer for. 

Rather than attacking the people that created the game and work to continuously improve it, it would be much more productive to utilize constructive criticism. Simply talk about what you don't like or don't agree with and then suggest a viable solution or at least mention the area you feel should be improved. None of us should be here reading and posting on the forums if we didn't like the vision of the game. If you feel you can contribute an idea that might improve Anthem, post it... just please refrain from toxic remarks. 

Message 1 of 58 (804 Views)

Re: Why is there so much toxicity related to Anthem?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Games as a service.  Seems this is proving to be a massive mistake across the board.  People want a finished game when they hand over a small fortune.

I am in no doubt things would have been different if it was a full, finished  game on release.

Anthem has been tared and feathered, so it's going to take some time and work to clean off the stigma.

Message 2 of 58 (776 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

How many complaints did you read?  If you have read any then you would understand that their are reasons.

Pilot Data Errors

Random and unexplained load screens which dump you back to game intro or Fort Tarsis

Load Screens

People unable to even log in

Patch days and a seemingly total lack of quality control ... ALL patches

LOOT

End Game .... hahahaha

To name a few

Go and read the Technical Issues forum, the Xbox, PS4 and PC forums

I really want Anthem to succeed because I love the gameplay but having encountered so many issues, some of which were present at the two demo betas which were still present at launch ... I'm just not seeing any great progress or promise in this game

@shifter_6x wrote:

... just please refrain from toxic remarks. 

How are you going to stop it? You can't so it's pointless to ask

Message 3 of 58 (767 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Totally predictable human nature OP.

I think underneath it all most guys that have paid for the game are secretly hoping / praying it will improve quickly and they are really itching to get back into it when it does (they just won't admit it right now and loosen the pressure on Bio and EA to get it fixed)

Message 4 of 58 (755 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@shifter_6x wrote:

I have been reading a lot of the complaints about this game since launch and it's very disappointing that people are so overwhelmingly negative and toxic for no apparent reason. In a perfect world, every game would be released on time and have no bugs or glitches of any kind at any time... but this isn't a perfect world. It's not realistic to expect *any* game of *any* kind to work flawlessly.

Ahh.. And, yet there used to be a time when games did launch without bugs or glitches. The studio only had one shot to get it right. Those that didn't, well those studious went out of business.

Games as service are actually a F'en joke. Hey I thought of an idea, its great we redefine graphics engines so the game plays smooth and looks even better than any game before. While we're doing that we'll advertise the living hell out of it, make tons of money in presales. Then we'll dump the new graphics engine claiming it was too hard to create, try to cram the code for the game into an existing graphics engine (Frostbite) all the while not hiring enough QA people to see if the code actually runs correctly on the ancient engine and call it a game as a service. It'll probably tank within less than a year so that way we can try it all over again on a different title we own and those suckers will still buy our products, instead of holding us accountable. Thank God we don't have to do it ilike the old days or we would be out of work and no other studio would hire us.

Message 5 of 58 (727 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

How do you not get it.  They can't fix this game.  It's obvious that Frostbite bit this game in the *.  They can't deliver on even half of their promises and they made that really obvious, when, they, well. didn't?

Message 6 of 58 (714 Views)

@shifter_6x wrote:

I have been reading a lot of the complaints about this game since launch and it's very disappointing that people are so overwhelmingly negative and toxic for no apparent reason ...

Good post, OP.

With most bugs dealt with in patches 1.0.3 and 1.0.4 I hope BioWare have the time now to focus on the delayed further content.

I've largely moved on to other games aside of the odd 'Daily challenge', but I'm looking forward to diving back in when new stuff arrives. Standard smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 7 of 58 (710 Views)

★★★ Guide

I will agree that the community is overly toxic. It has been that way since before the Demo's launched and has only gotten worse since, even with the shrinking player base. There have been a number of times that there has been over reacting and people hatting just to hate, or because of bandwagon. That being said, there is also a very large amount of unhappiness and flat out disgust with Anthem that has had just cause, as BioWare has not done anything right with it. There overly convoluted release schedule, the downgrade in graphics, the premature release, the constant bugs, nothing other than the 'base' game (the one thing that should not have been) released on time, I could go on and on and on for a page and a half. Bioware and EA both needed this game to be good and instead they kicked a mess into our laps, and all of it with no explanation as to why. The only reasons we even found anything out in terms of why is because of the Kutaku Article that exposed them.

Is there way to much toxicity out there, without a doubt, but is some of it deserved, absolutely.

Message 8 of 58 (589 Views)

★★ Guide

Many of the haters get bent out of shape by people who praise the game, but I think just as important as it is to let them know what they’re doing wrong, we should also be very clear on what they’re doing right.

For me, it’s definitely my favorite game of the year so far. The fun I’ve had with friends and building up my Ranger... the co-op battles, the guns, the flying... I love the gameplay and the controls. This game is an instant classic for me.

Message 9 of 58 (571 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Because they lied to us about what the game was....They told us at E3 that what they showed us was actual in game footage and it's not....They just flat out lied about the game and people are getting sick and tired of the gaming industry over promising and under delivering.

That being said, I love the game and can't wait until the issues get worked out because I think this is the type of game I could get lost in for years if it has enough content and meaningful progression. I have to see it to believe it though.

Message 10 of 58 (556 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help