Re: Why is my Apex updating?

by pandareno1999

Original Post

★★★★★ Expert
@OldTreeCreeper You do 😈 Apex just hasn’t done it too often for xbox, but other games do it. Not the standard definition anyway.

Apex does sometimes before an ‘activation’ rolls out an update. 2 seasons ago was one for instance that they did a 30gb update and didn’t explain before the new season or something and then again a 20 or 30gb on arrival day.
Message 21 of 40 (415 Views)

Champion
@Koochi-Q I assume apex is over 100 GB?
Message 22 of 40 (410 Views)

Champion
@OldTreeCreeper <------ guy is right
Message 23 of 40 (406 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Koochi-Q I've seen it advertised for some games on different platforms, but never a "preload" for Apex on xbox. Files may well be included that are not activated until a later time but that is not what I understand as a preload. A preload is advertised as a game or game update that can de downloaded and ready to go the second the game or update goes live, as against having to dl the update after the update going live. No? Angel

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png
Please note:
I am a Community Volunteer.
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 24 of 40 (404 Views)

Champion
@OldTreeCreeper And why would your alter ego be the only xbox player to get it?
Message 25 of 40 (394 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@OldTreeCreeperThat’s true, that’s the actual definition of preloading (as it’s usually mentioned for games that have yet to launch) and that’s why I stated that I’m not using the standard definition of preloading because I don’t know the actual term for having downloaded an update which does not only contain files that are immediately activated as well as lingering files for later.

It’ll likely be something with buffer or something. The principle is the same hence why I opted to use that term. The files that are pre-downloaded aren’t used tet but will kick into effect after a server update comes through at a later date or when downloading basically an ‘activation key’ at a later date so the game knows you have the right file.

Apex on xbox has biggest file I think at 70/80GB as of now (not home so can’t check). 

Message 26 of 40 (389 Views)

@hayhor because we are a very special cohort of players, known to the devs as "the senior moments" Large smile

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png
Please note:
I am a Community Volunteer.
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 27 of 40 (382 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

@Koochi-QWait, so you say the download was not HD textures? This message is a bit confusing, though ...

20210727_080308.jpg

I've found out what it was - a wrath of bug fixes. For some reason for XBox One they decided it would be easier for users to download the entire game file and install it (including all images) rather than patch was what already there. It's nothing to do with the new season.

Message 28 of 40 (1,770 Views)

@EdwardDLuffy They're just copying Playstation!
Message 29 of 40 (352 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@EdwardDLuffy No, I said it’s not only that. I have no idea what’s in the update, but you can be darn sure it’s not just hd textures as that wouldn’t make sense to be that big just for that. Unless... and this is a big unless, it’s 4K textures with HDR, but I highly doubt it’s that.
Message 30 of 40 (348 Views)