Why is hitting pathfinder a headache?

by plivx

Original Post

Re: Why is hitting pathfinder a headache?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

According to reddit Pathfinder is going to be fixed for season 2

Pathfinder's hitbox

• We’ve been investigating Pathfinder’s hitbox and looking at player feedback. At Season 2 launch we’ll be making adjustments to the hitbox that we’ll talk more about closer to Season 2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/c0q1fi/updating_known_issues_post_6142019/

His hit box is non existent and very inconsistent. Also people like to bring in the "pro's" to make their point relevant and I've seen and heard a lot of the top streamer's, and pro's say Pathfinder has Broken hit boxes.

Message 41 of 69 (843 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Wingmannedbro wrote:

I wanna touch on this comment.

"A verry accurate hitbox is a hitbox that when you shoot the target you HIT him.

If there are 2387465237864523874 components on the legend that don't count as a hit then its a proven FACT the hitbox is terrible right?

If removing those components is a indirect solution to the hitbox problem thats fine by me."

This is a wrong way of thinking. In that same logic, shooting Bangalore's puffy hair should count as headshots right?

Ofc not, that would be dumb, since it's hair, and not her head.

Stop aiming for Pathfinders skinny limbs (which have the grappling hook gadgets fitted on them) and just aim for his huge torso for a change.

How hard is to aim at his body? You must be really bad if you can't that, his torso is huge and easy to hit.

If we are going to make this game realistic then we are even further away from how it should be.

Bangelore is a human so we know shooting hair does not damage her.

What are all those cosmetics on pathfinder?

Battery packs? Zipline holders?

I don't know how that robot is build.

But it sounds like shooting it should make it impossible for pathfinder to make ziplines or if its a battery sounds like it should deal headshot damage to me.

Or to make things more easy. Just damage him at least.

Having a TON of cosmetics sounds like a unfair advantige to me this way.

Why do bullets hit in the shoulders deal the same damage as in the heart or troth on human legends if we want this game to be realistic.

They obviously want to keep things simple so they should do the same with pathfinder.

people feel like their shots hit him but they din't. That brings complications.

yes ofcourse shooting a pathfinder in the front is easy.

But sadly 1/2 times its not a face to face shootout.

When flanking him from the side his cosmatics are bigger then the body you have to hit.

I'm not saying the pathfinders are killing me either.

Becouse this game is more complicated then 2 people shooting eachother.

Most of the time im wasting A LOT of time trying to hit the damn thing.

And if he would have been any other legend at that moment i would have spend my 2nd or 3rd magazine shooting other people.

And being able to down a target 5 seconds earlier and being able to shoot someone else makes all the difference.

Also if he would have been any other legend i would have downed him before he could have downed my teammate a lot of the cases.

Message 42 of 69 (820 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@RevenanT-G7 You really believe hes gonna be “ Fixed” Lol this is a devs team that makes the game worse each update they’ll probably make another legends hitbox broken during the process of fixing pathfinders, Respawn entertainment does not have game testers so good luck getting your hopes up..
Message 43 of 69 (817 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@SethCurry wrote:
@RevenanT-G7You really believe hes gonna be “ Fixed” Lol this is a devs team that makes the game worse each update they’ll probably make another legends hitbox broken during the process of fixing pathfinders, Respawn entertainment does not have game testers so good luck getting your hopes up..

True, Titanfall 2 did this a lot with every update. lol

What game doesn't mess something up with each update?

It's part of writing code they won't know until the code goes live on servers and played. No developer can predict how the servers will respond to the new code being implemented. It's not like Respawn made a single player campaign where you don't need servers to be fixed in the back end so the code doesn't go wonky. 

Should be fun to see what gets messed up though. It's alway's fun reading the forums when something breaks or doesn't work right.

/shrugs

Message 44 of 69 (802 Views)

★★★★ Guide

i look forward to an update...only because i want to see people still miss his giant hit box and find another reason why their aim sucks 

Message 45 of 69 (797 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@RevenanT-G7 wrote:

@SethCurry wrote:
@RevenanT-G7You really believe hes gonna be “ Fixed” Lol this is a devs team that makes the game worse each update they’ll probably make another legends hitbox broken during the process of fixing pathfinders, Respawn entertainment does not have game testers so good luck getting your hopes up..

True, Titanfall 2 did this a lot with every update. lol

What game doesn't mess something up with each update?

It's part of writing code they won't know until the code goes live on servers and played. No developer can predict how the servers will respond to the new code being implemented. It's not like Respawn made a single player campaign where you don't need servers to be fixed in the back end so the code doesn't go wonky. 

Should be fun to see what gets messed up though. It's alway's fun reading the forums when something breaks or doesn't work right.

/shrugs

Me being a programmer in completely other field so i have 0 xp in game design but i can tell code is absolute.

All the things you have to take into consideration changing just a little thing is harder then most people can imagine.

BUT,

They managed to get a good hit box on 7 other legends.

Hit box technology has been out for years and years now.

its not like they write the code from 0 on every legend.

Code gets reused.

I'm not sure, But i don't think they even use code for the hitbox on game design level anymore.

Its just dragging a box over a 3d model of the thing they want to give a hit box.

And its the exact same technology and code for all the legends.

Peronaly i don't think Pathfinders hitbox is the problem anymore.

But his model is.

And fixing that issue is going to be problematic for respawn.

You can't just make the hitbox different ( Bigger ) then the model.

But chaging all the models is going to take a whole lot of time.

But they have to do something.

Becouse pathfinder is ruining the game as he is now.

I hope they have a better and faster solution.

And i realy hope they nail it start Season2.

Becouse almost everything i hate about this game has something to do with pathfinder.

And fixing his model / hit box is a good start.

Even messing it up that its to big again would be amazing for this game.

Then finaly pathfinder and all his BS won't bother me as often anymore.

Message 46 of 69 (783 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Huntinwabits wrote:

@DaAceXDListen here (Guide) Newbie. I mess with @wingmannedbro a lot on here, You wouldn't know anything about that because your new.

Oh darn it actually happened.

Its like a dream coming true im a guide now.

Im considering starting a topic about it now about how im not going to disappoint all the filthy casuals being their guide and all.

Did it feel that way for you too all those years ago when you turned guide?

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

I bothered to check.

We both started spamming the forum in march 2019!

What is going on here?!?!

After reading your comment i feel there is only one conclusion to make here:

@Wingmannedbro has a persistent leech.

as a guide im obligated to tell him he should consider burning it off.

If anyone else has tips on how to get rid off persistent leeches please let him know!

Message 47 of 69 (774 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Huntinwabits wrote:

@DaAceXDListen here (Guide) Newbie. I mess with @wingmannedbro a lot on here, You wouldn't know anything about that because your new.

That's true, i'm Bugs Bunny, and Elmer Fudd over here ^^^ hunts wabbits.

Message 48 of 69 (770 Views)

★★★ Expert

@DaAceXD wrote:

Peronaly i don't think Pathfinders hitbox is the problem anymore.

But his model is.

And fixing that issue is going to be problematic for respawn.

You can't just make the hitbox different ( Bigger ) then the model.

But chaging all the models is going to take a whole lot of time.

I'm glad we can see eye to eye here.

His hitbox is accurate in so far as the developers intended, but the significant discrepancy between his appearance/silhouette and his hitbox is definitely a mistake. The visible parts that you cannot hit do actually absorb/tank incoming fire, and at the right angles (mostly from behind, or from the side) those parts can block shots that would have hit Pathfinder if they were not there.

For readers who are curious which parts.

- the grappling hook gadget on his left lower arm.

- the canister attached to his right upper arm.

- the two zipline posts that stick out over his shoulders, including the backpack like contraption on his upper back the zipline posts are attached to.

- the two protrusions on his calf on the backside just below the knee joint.

(Applicable to the non-legendary skins)

In case of the Legendary skins, the difference between his appearance and actual hitbox becomes very large, which is the primary reason why the complaint about his hitbox is out there.

I strongly agree that such a large difference in size was a mistake, especially since a players experience with the other legends being highly accurate has primed players to expect the same when shooting at a Pathfinder.

Message 49 of 69 (761 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@WingmannedbroPathfinder's hitbox isn't completely accurate though. Go into training and shoot at his legs and hips, and where his (piece of anatomy that produces poo - seriously guys, filtering out ANY medical term for it? :/)  should be - your bullets will go straight through. Aim around his legs where the bolt in his right like sticks out.

Message 50 of 69 (747 Views)