Why is Login verification "opt in" only? Compromised accounts with zero warning?

by grimj2

Original Post

Why is Login verification "opt in" only? Compromised accounts with zero warning?

★★★ Newbie

I came to this realization after having my origin account compromised, banned for hacking, and my Apex Legends coins spent by the person. I have zero details of whether they utilized Origin, a Console, or some other means to login and access the account, and of course, there are no refunds when it comes to transactions of Apex coins. Please pardon my whining about $10 worth of Apex coins because the principle here is much bigger than that.

There is absolutely NO good reason that in order to receive a warning about a suspicious login on my EA account, I will have had to have previously gone to EA.com and first set up Login Verification. 

As far as I am concerned, if someone has spent money within Origin or any EA game, EA should be reminding them that their account is completely unsecured without Login Verification enabled. 

What's crazy is that I searched my email inbox and found that in 2019 I received a legitimate "new sign-in on PC" email from EA. If this worked in the past, why didn't I receive anything like this when someone probably in a different country got onto my Apex account? My guess is that they somehow bypassed Origin entirely but I will never know for sure because I received no warnings and apparently didn't have login verification enabled. 

TLDR: Login verification should be required or, at the least, heavily encouraged (via email reminders/pop ups within Origin) for all customers. This would probably also prevent a lot of cases and headaches from being created.

Message 1 of 2 (188 Views)

Re: Why is Login verification "opt in" only? Compromised accounts with

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@grimj2 

Appreciate your comments here. 

We do strongly encourage the use of Login Verification (Two Factor Authentication/2FA) but do not require that currently.

2FA really is the only way to go currently and everyone should use it for every account they care about, not just EA/Origin.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/ea-login-verification-information

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 2 (162 Views)