Why is EA/Respawn the bad guy for loot boxes?

by powermadmatt

Original Post

Re: Why is EA/Respawn the bad guy for loot boxes?

★★ Guide
Great post, it should be pinned by mods !! I am not a fan of lootboxes so i just wont buy them because i know i wont get what i want anyway, however i will support devs with battle pass because this game is great. Everyone complaining about monetization in f2p game where its just cosmetic is complete ignorant greedy person, if this would be like battlefront 2 i would understand that but its not you can ditch thousands of hours into this without spending anything.
Message 11 of 44 (675 Views)

★ Guide
Well damn, somehow my post appears to have disappeared....#RIP.
Message 12 of 44 (668 Views)

★ Guide
@stevencloser wrote:
It's because it's basically gambling. Isn't the EU cracking down on that kind of stuff? Paying for a random chance to get something?

Games are required to post the %'s of what you can win, in which Apex does. 

To OP, I grew up in an era with long loading times and games that could be completed and turned into nothing but ornamental trophies once they were done. Gaming and technology has evolved so much that consumers demand consistent (and sometimes unrealistic) updates, consistent content, etc. And as OP mentioned, those people do not work for free. 

What I still do not understand is people are so concerned with the price it costs to make their character look pretty, they let it blind them to the actual good of what we have. I wasn't always able to jump in a 100 person match in 30 seconds, die in the first 2 minutes, and jump right back in another 100 person match. This game kind of speaks to all the features I look for in a game....competitiveness, an element of RNG and the feeling of securing good loot, the dopamine rush loop you get each and every match, etc. 

We live in a time where people don't really want to support artists anymore (game devs to me, fall in the class of artists). People won't even pay for their favorite music because they can download it for free, but will get pissed off if the artist charges more at the concert to make-up for it. Loot boxes could be $1 and we would have forum posts about how unfair it is. I just think we live in a time where entertainment is expected to come on demand, without the feeling of working for it. 

Everyone knows the battlepass release in like 2 weeks yet will still post about how unhappy they have to pay for loot boxes now because they earned all their free ones VERSUS staying patient. I know I am coming off as the old-timer here but Im only 32....I just can't help but be amazed at some of the things I have in front of me and have zero issue supporting a company providing me with FREE entertainment. 

(For some reason this got deleted?)
Message 13 of 44 (665 Views)

★★ Guide

@odieman1231 Loot boxes ARE $1 a piece. 100 Apex coins and you get 1000 apex coins for $10.

Anyway, the problem I see is that many people in Apex have come from different games. 

For me, Apex is my first BR game and one of the first F2P games I've played. Before I have played and am still playing Overwatch. In Overwatch I paid my $40 to get the game and for that I got the full game and free lootboxes every single level forever + more on special occasions. I absolutely wouldn't mind dropping just as much money on Apex, if it meant I got something of similar value out of the deal. But if the only options for $40 is 40 loot boxes that could have absolute crap in them or 2 special skins, I'd rather not spend any money at all.

Message 14 of 44 (655 Views)

★ Guide

@stevencloser wrote:

@odieman1231 Loot boxes ARE $1 a piece. 100 Apex coins and you get 1000 apex coins for $10.

Anyway, the problem I see is that many people in Apex have come from different games. 

For me, Apex is my first BR game and one of the first F2P games I've played. Before I have played and am still playing Overwatch. In Overwatch I paid my $40 to get the game and for that I got the full game and free lootboxes every single level forever + more on special occasions. I absolutely wouldn't mind dropping just as much money on Apex, if it meant I got something of similar value out of the deal. But if the only options for $40 is 40 loot boxes that could have absolute crap in them or 2 special skins, I'd rather not spend any money at all.

I am glad you brought up OW. I love OW and have played that quite heavily. The issue I think I see with OW is that I have earned everything in it already. Because you get a lootbox every level AND you can earn 3 additional every week through the Arcade games AND you earn lootboxes for being a nice player I have earned almost everything in the game. While most would see that as a good thing, I guess it just isn't as rewarding to me? 

Even when a holiday event releases, Ill play OW for 2 weeks and have about all the content earned. 

Message 15 of 44 (650 Views)

★★★ Novice

Everyone thinks that they are just a special snowflake entitled to everything.  False.  People want to eat but don't want to hunt.

Message 16 of 44 (647 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Well you are just showing that you don´t understand the problem here... I don´t even have to read your whole post as people like you always have the same arguments all over again.

Long story short. We as customers should not be kissing their foot because they are doing what should be standard behaviour. Of course I´m grateful for apex business model not being p2w so I can play it. But to be honest lootboxes (slot machines) are still cancer in any way and finally legal protection is arising againts this thing. Don´t even let me started on p2w games -  from my point of view these are just trash straight away and nobody should play/support them - period. Don´t be so overprotective. Big corporate like EA have an enormous amount of money (hello Patrick Soderlund $20 mil. bonus). I miss the old days when you just bought the full game and then some expansion packs (BF2), I would like that back. I literally want to pay for the full game. Perhaps I´m just a guy who like to know what he buys. "F2P" model is probably the worst that could happen to gaming industry from the view of old school gamers.

Final note - I´m failing to understand, why any customer in the world would defend shady (or just disadvantageous) practices of corporations this size like EA is. Quite the reverse, we should stand together and defend us against these predatory business models as customers, and push for better services, since we are the weaker party in this relationship. I just don´t like when someone makes a victim from huge companies. I hope I did not offend you. To be absolutely clear, I don´t hate on apex legends - it is great game. It is just lootboxes which aren´t.

I apologise for any mistakes in my English.

Message 17 of 44 (647 Views)

★★ Guide

You must play OW a lot more than me or be very lucky. I didn't even get half of the Legendary skins this event. At least I got the ones I wanted from buying them with coins.

Message 18 of 44 (645 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

It's really just EA. I 100% support Respawn and all they are doing

Message 19 of 44 (641 Views)

★ Guide

@stevencloser wrote:

You must play OW a lot more than me or be very lucky. I didn't even get half of the Legendary skins this event. At least I got the ones I wanted from buying them with coins.

Yea man. I got pretty heavy in ranked play for awhile. I actually havent even logged in since Apex though. 

Feel free to add me on Battlenet EwokVillage#1985 I main Hammond.....maybe thats why I main Pathfinder also Standard smile

Message 20 of 44 (639 Views)