Re: Why is EA/Respawn the bad guy for loot boxes?

by powermadmatt

Original Post

Why is EA/Respawn the bad guy for loot boxes?

★★★★ Novice

If you have this attitude about Apex/EA/Respawn then I think that you are wrong to have this attitude, you DO NOT deserve to get lots of progression,unlocks, skins, and everything for FREE whilst the developers have spent millions to make this game. I work in the software development industry so let me explain;

A game developers salary is anywhere between 25,000 - 70,000GBP per year depending on their experience and coding skills. There will probable be about 20 programmers working on the game, meaning they are spending 500,000-1,400,000GBP per year just on programmers salaries. Then you have graphic designers, Music, art, producers, etc; and on top of that they will have software license fees, bills, HR staff, etc meaning they are now spending millions of GBP per year making this game. probably running into the 10's of millions per year to make the game, and since the game isnt finished whilst they are making it, they are spending their own money in the process to get a finished product, taking a chance on a game that could fail.

They have been working on this game for a few years, starting as Titanfall 3 and then eventually shaping into Apex. I could put the estimated cot of the project as anywhere between 30-50 million GBP as a rough estimate, and they are allowing millions of players around the world to play for FREE....their starter pack only cost 3.99GBP, and you absolutely CANNOT buy anything that is considered P2W or gives you an advantage. They give you some customisation for free, on top of everything else you have had for free. A sweet game, not P2W, balanced, and it doesn't cost you a penny. If everyone of their 25 million players bought the starter pack, which as of a few days ago was 100% of the playerbase, after taxes and stuff they would probably only break even. If you enjoy Apex stop being such a cheap * ******** and support the game, buy the supporters pack, founders if you like it that much. Get the battlepasses, etc; but you have no room to complain when you have committed NOTHING to EA/Respawn and yet are expecting everything in return.

Black Desert, Archeage, Neverwinter, these are examples of P2W/money hungry games. You get to play a fully finished game with absolutely no disadvantages to those who spend money other than you don't get to kill people with pimp guns. You should be kissing EA/Respawn's feet that they didn't put out a P2W * like you would expect EA to, publish. Rant over.

Message 1 of 44 (962 Views)

★ Guide
Absolutely agree.

Unfortunately, we live in a world of people who feel entitled.
Message 2 of 44 (955 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I agree, I feel people sometimes forget the effort that video games take to make so I just wanted to remind people to be respectful to EA & Respawn, I disagree with lootboxes in 60 pound games like Battlefield and Battlefront, but in a F2P game with no P2W....like a diamond in the rough
Message 3 of 44 (942 Views)

★★ Guide

fully agrees.

i would gladly pay even more if they keep up a good job maintaining the game and provide a good service.

Message 4 of 44 (929 Views)

★★ Apprentice

you are right , sadly your bias is extreme i am not good at explaining to others i sugges you watch videos explaing this to great details , its not about lootboxes really , after 50h in this game i can tell i could probably never unlock a legendary in a resonable time as f2p unless i get extreamly lucky , in other words its not fair , the divide beween f2p p2p is time , essentialy when you pay for ingame stuff u pay with real time(a job) for ingame time, i dont mind p2p(skins in this case) to have a hard advantage but when i cant even see the posibility to get 1 legendary skin that i like after 200-300h in this game its clearly bad really bad , played plenty of games where its a very amaizing hybrid of bouth and f2p and paying players get a fair take of content this aint it.

Message 5 of 44 (914 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Because lootboxes are essentially supporting gambling. Just look at how many threads of "I put XXX amount of money in game and didn't get skin"

Fairer would be to let directly buy what you want to buy and not gamble for it.

Message 6 of 44 (897 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I cringe everytime I see a comment about (why does this F2P game stop giving me lootcrates {you know...that thing that helps keep the game servers alive for you to actually play the game}).

So I can agree with OP's comments & frustration.

However, at the same time, EA is no saint & should not be absolved of any responsibility when it comes to (allegedly) exploiting children under the age to legally gamble, by pushing (harder than any publisher) an extreme form (highly addictive) of loot-crates/microtransactions.

But, that is neither her nor there.

I am fine with this game's approach, for cosmetics only.

And the finishers (and different animationas and/or phrases to choose from), are a very good way to approach the monetisation of a F2P game like this, so +1 to the devs for having thought of it & having implemented it in a nonP2W manner.

Message 7 of 44 (882 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Well you answered your own question. They are not bad because they need money and providing a way to get it. They seem bad because they provide the worst possible way. The problem is loot boxes and earning with your money becomes a chance thing..

Message 8 of 44 (877 Views)

★★ Guide

It's because it's basically gambling. Isn't the EU cracking down on that kind of stuff? Paying for a random chance to get something?

Message 9 of 44 (871 Views)

★ Guide

gr8 b8 m8 8/8

Message 10 of 44 (830 Views)