Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Why is Denuvo on PC?

by Arsenic_Touch

Original Post

★★★★ Novice

It seemed to me that Origin was acting as DRM protection. This makes Denuvo even more useless on Anthem.

If it is for an anti-cheat system, there are other alternatives that are less resource-intensive.

Message 11 of 20 (240 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

There's several reasons why I don't own Anthem. Denuvo is the biggest one. Waiting on confirmation that it's removed. It's worth noting that there's explicitly *NO* valid proof from any remotely legitimate source to confirm that DRM like Denuvo actually has a positive effect on sales. And there's direct evidence of MULTIPLE big-name success stories where ACTIVELY ALLOWING PIRACY helped lead to the game's success (see Minecraft). Overly-aggressive DRM solutions like Denuvo have been directly proven to INCREASE piracy in the long run, rather than reducing it, and negatively impact sales because of the growing number of customers who are aware of the issues with such software and actively avoid games using it.

It's also something that can - and is beginning to - be argued to violate privacy laws in many countries when it's not explicitly disclosed on the game's store page - as is the case with Anthem. The potential for legal repercussions isn't something to be shrugged off when it comes to concerns like this. It's best to make sure you're CLEARLY AND OPENLY displaying that you use such software with your products.

Message 12 of 20 (196 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Syruponbutter wrote:

@-7Z7- wrote:

Denuvo an anti-cheat system?

Even so, there must be anti-cheat solutions that are less CPU-intensive (Easy Anti-Cheat as on Apex Legends).

To keep from hacking into the game, I don't know. Even if the game could be hacked, they would not be able to access the servers.

Noob question "if you hacked the game, what's keeping you from accessing the servers?"

The Gibson. They have to hack the gibson before they get access to the servers. Did you learn nothing from Hackers?

Large smile

Message 13 of 20 (185 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Aksu wrote:

@Syruponbutter wrote:

@-7Z7- wrote:

Denuvo an anti-cheat system?

Even so, there must be anti-cheat solutions that are less CPU-intensive (Easy Anti-Cheat as on Apex Legends).

To keep from hacking into the game, I don't know. Even if the game could be hacked, they would not be able to access the servers.

Noob question "if you hacked the game, what's keeping you from accessing the servers?"

The Gibson. They have to hack the gibson before they get access to the servers. Did you learn nothing from Hackers?

Large smile

Real answer for this though: The game is sold by EA, through EA's store, to EA accounts (not customers). If your EA account doesn't have a legitimate purchased Anthem key connected to it, you can't play Anthem because the *ALWAYS ONLINE SERVER SETUP* won't let you. Full stop. End of story. Pirated copies of Anthem aren't a thing and can't be a thing unless you hack the Origin server and tell it you bought a key for the game. And... ummm... good luck with that?

Message 14 of 20 (164 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Syruponbutter wrote:

I did a quick search, had no idea what Denuvo was. First post was about, Metro Exodus being hacked in 5 days, after releases.

Metro is a freaking single player offline game.

Online multiplayer games cant be hacked or rather pirated the way single players game do. I remember denuvo on DA3, god it was awful. Thats the reason I never bought that game. And  by the way... DA3 was pirated *. While having denuvo on it. But again, DA3 is a single player game. But anyways. If someone is gonna pirate your single player game, they will do it. But putting denuvo in your especially multiplayer game is like setting your house on fire in fear that someone *might* break in one day.

Message 15 of 20 (159 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@-7Z7- wrote:

I can't explain why we can't access the servers if we have a hacked Anthem, it's too technical for me. What I do know is that since the beginning, everything that is multiplayer is impossible to play on a pirated version. Probably because of the fact that the server will recognize that it is not a legal version.

Most of the information is stored on the server including profile data. You are also connected to the server one way or another so any kind of suspicios activity is ten times easeier to detect in the first place.

Message 16 of 20 (158 Views)

★★★★ Novice

There continue to be examples of Denuvo "protected" games being cracked within hours/days/a week of release.

There continue to be actively willing customers REFUSING to buy games because of Denuvo.

There continue to be valid privacy concerns surrounding Denuvo, including reason to expect future legal issues regarding failure to properly disclose its use.

There continue to be reasons why any competent investor would actively push for companies NOT to use Denuvo.

There continues to be pressure from incompetent morons to "prevent piracy" in the gaming industry.

There continues to be reliable proof that piracy doesn't harm sales, which are what ACTUALLY MATTER for investors.

There continues to be NO VALID WAY TO PIRATE ALWAYS-ONLINE GAMES ANYWAY so Anthem has exactly zero incentive to use Denuvo in the first place.

Message 17 of 20 (130 Views)

★ Apprentice
well some time ago Irdeto - developer of Denuvo presented new Denuvo Anti-Cheat product and there is possibility this game may use it already, in this case it make sense
Message 18 of 20 (102 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@RogueMaster wrote:

Because some bean counter somewhere is worried someone might pirate the game, and they'll lose those $$$$.

Denuvo is a plague. Whomever came up with it should be beamed into space, with the transporter set on wide dispersal.

Yes. Pirating an online game with a server based everything.

The horror.

Message 19 of 20 (97 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Only reason I can think of it being there is that this was originally single player and they changed things at the last minute to make it multiplayer.

If that's the case, it makes them half assing the game make much more sense. 

Otherwise having a system like denuvo on an always online multiplayer game is just pointless and a waste of money since denuvo isn't free. 

It would also explain all the performance issues. 

Message 20 of 20 (85 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help