Why is 120hz still not on console

by bf4d4str0y4r

Original Post

Why is 120hz still not on console

★★★★ Novice

After 4 updates, 120hz support is still not available for console players. While PC gamers can enjoy their high frame rates, low latency experience giving them an advantage in every situation. I am left having to turn crossplay off as the advantage of having higher frame rates really shows in the gameplay against any PC player. 

I dont care about 4k, I dont care about HDR. Why is 120Hz for a game released in 2021 still not supporting 120Hz for Console. You may argue that 128 players in a game would mean that console's cant handle 120hz at 4k. But why is there no option for 120hz at 1080p? Its a simple choice we can make, but that you dont allow us to. Furthermore, Hazard zone does not have 128 players and is capped at 32 so what is your excuse for limiting the frame rate in that game type?

Maybe you should have a word with the developers over at activision/treyarch, as you clearly dont know how to add 120hz support.  Thos games easily manage 4k 120hz perfectly fine for Cold War (an old game now) and vanguard. 

Message 1 of 16 (3,660 Views)

Re: Why is 120hz still not on console

★★★ Pro
@bf4d4str0y4r because they can't handle it. And it doesn't matter 128 or 64. Last gen consoles just ain't capable.
Message 2 of 16 (3,611 Views)

★★★ Guide
@bf4d4str0y4r Damn you sound incredibly entitled for someone who has no understanding on how any of this works. This game barely runs on consoles and has tons of optimization issues even on PC. There is no way this game will ever run 120hz on either generation of console. It won't happen.
Message 3 of 16 (3,589 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

Some games on the PS5 do run at 120 Hz.  COD Cold War is one of them.  But I doubt 2042 ever will.  Unless they optimize it more.

Message 4 of 16 (3,584 Views)

★ Expert
@bf4d4str0y4r We have monster PCs with 3080s and 12900k barely managing 100+ FPS, and you want consoles to have that option?
Message 5 of 16 (3,570 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

2042 has CPU optimization issues. Meaning the game runs the same frame rate at 1080p and 4k.

What does make the game run at a higher frame rate is smaller game modes. So 120fps might be possible for 64 player modes.

Message 6 of 16 (3,550 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

I run BF 2042 on a Xbox series X connected via HDMI 2.1 cable to a Samsung 120 Hz 4k TV that has VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) meter shown when in fastest (9ms latency or less) game mode, and it shows 119 FPS (Frames per second) when I play BF2042 (holds 119 vs 120 as that is the safe zone as TV can't handle above 120).  Therefore, it would seem I am getting 119 frames from the game per second, but not sure if the game puts out more than 60 frames per second, although I also have the game on a higher end PC and I swear it runs smoother on Series X than the choppy 90-130 fps I get on PC (2080 TI card).

That said, Xbox Series X running 4k has all enhanced graphics settings either off or lowest settings, and the game still can't handle the Hourglass map at times when playing 128 player modes.  The VRR frames drop from 119 to 50-70 range, and I have to quit the game when this happens as it absolutely overheats the Xbox Series X to the point that it either crashes the game or even a few times shuts the entire Xbox down and goes into a cooling mode (fan runs while Xbox powered down).  And I know it is not a connection issue as we run the PC and Xbox at the same time, in the same game on the same server and there have been no issues with the PC on the same map and server when the Xbox series X goes into literally thermal meltdown, as touching the front of the box under the power button gets extremely hot to the touch when frames start dropping 50% or more on the hourglass map...

So in summary, it seems I'm getting 119 frames as it is as smooth if not better than my PC at 90-130 frames, and my other Xbox games run at either 60 or 120 fps as indicated by the VRR Samsung frames per second meter.  I've tried to get EA or Dice to confirm if the game is running at 120 fps, but no luck.  Everything I read says it is not possible...can anyone from Dice or EA confirm if it is possible to run 120 fps on Xbox series X if one tweaks the setting a certain way?  Or am I simply getting a fake reading of 119 fps on my Samsung TV, perhaps it is simply upscaling the 60 frames to 120 frames although that does not happen with any other Xbox games as the VRR TV indicator will max at either 60 fps or 119 fps depending on the game maximum frames per second limits...

Message 7 of 16 (3,516 Views)

★ Pro
@UP_LordPlumber I've held off on the 3080 cards as a lot of game are still optimized for the 2080 cards, and the drivers have not caught up to utilizing the potential of the 3080s yet. Of course game dependent. That said, with BF 2042, I feel like my I9 9900 CPU is the limiting factor for frame rate as the game is "tech bankrupt" with regards to CPU efficiency...

Basically covid did not allow the developers to work from home and have the correct hardware, so the code is not very efficient as they had to attempt code for five different platforms, many of which they could not stress test at they did not have the platforms available from their covid home offices. This has been documented by a few insiders. The game needed to be delayed 6 months from this issue alone. A couple of suits lied to EA that the game was ready. EA launched six months too early, and the rest is history...
Message 8 of 16 (3,505 Views)

★★★ Pro
@UP_LordPlumber even on all low with high end cpu and gpu it is still hard to maintain fps.
Message 9 of 16 (3,478 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@DeepSixxxx wrote:

I run BF 2042 on a Xbox series X connected via HDMI 2.1 cable to a Samsung 120 Hz 4k TV that has VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) meter shown when in fastest (9ms latency or less) game mode, and it shows 119 FPS (Frames per second) when I play BF2042 (holds 119 vs 120 as that is the safe zone as TV can't handle above 120).  Therefore, it would seem I am getting 119 frames from the game per second, but not sure if the game puts out more than 60 frames per second, although I also have the game on a higher end PC and I swear it runs smoother on Series X than the choppy 90-130 fps I get on PC (2080 TI card).

That said, Xbox Series X running 4k has all enhanced graphics settings either off or lowest settings, and the game still can't handle the Hourglass map at times when playing 128 player modes.  The VRR frames drop from 119 to 50-70 range, and I have to quit the game when this happens as it absolutely overheats the Xbox Series X to the point that it either crashes the game or even a few times shuts the entire Xbox down and goes into a cooling mode (fan runs while Xbox powered down).  And I know it is not a connection issue as we run the PC and Xbox at the same time, in the same game on the same server and there have been no issues with the PC on the same map and server when the Xbox series X goes into literally thermal meltdown, as touching the front of the box under the power button gets extremely hot to the touch when frames start dropping 50% or more on the hourglass map...

So in summary, it seems I'm getting 119 frames as it is as smooth if not better than my PC at 90-130 frames, and my other Xbox games run at either 60 or 120 fps as indicated by the VRR Samsung frames per second meter.  I've tried to get EA or Dice to confirm if the game is running at 120 fps, but no luck.  Everything I read says it is not possible...can anyone from Dice or EA confirm if it is possible to run 120 fps on Xbox series X if one tweaks the setting a certain way?  Or am I simply getting a fake reading of 119 fps on my Samsung TV, perhaps it is simply upscaling the 60 frames to 120 frames although that does not happen with any other Xbox games as the VRR TV indicator will max at either 60 fps or 119 fps depending on the game maximum frames per second limits...

The TV is updating the screen 120 times per second (120Hz) but 2042 is only outputting 60fps to the TV. The TV screen updates twice as fast as the game's frame rate in order to lower input lag.

As soon as the game's frame rate drops below 60fps, the TV kicks into VRR mode and refreshes at 59Hz or whatever the sub 60fps frame rate is at.

VRR will also double the TV screen's refresh rate when the game's frame rate drops below 48fps. It's called low frame rate compensation (LFC). For example, if the game's framerate is 40fps the TV screen will refresh at 80Hz. Essentially drawing the same game frame image twice.

So the VRR info on the TV screen can be misleading, because it's displaying how fast the TV screen is refreshing (Hz) not necessarily the frame rate the console is outputting (fps).

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync-faq#faq-What-is-Low-Framerate-Compensation?

I believe 2042 probably runs smoother on console compared to most PCs. Developers can tune game performance on consoles easier than PC.

Digital Foundry did a frame rate analysis of 2042 on consoles. They have videos showing Call of Duty at 120fps but BF2042 only does 60fps.

Message 10 of 16 (3,458 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help