Re: Why dont you put your games on steam for PC

by ivrognard

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why dont you put your games on steam for PC

★★★ Newbie

I dont have an xbox because I play all of my games on PC. It would be great if you started selling your games on steam for pc.

Message 1 of 24 (11,156 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

@stuey450f actually...nope. The deal is simple: 30% from the profits for Steam (no matter who you are: Activision, EA, Ubi, Bethesda, etc), 70% for the publisher (not for the dev, but for the publisher). From those 70% the publisher will pay the marketing plus other expenses. The poor dev it will be lucky if he gets 5% from those remaining 70%. And it's a big if.

And in case that you've missed what happened in the last two years, Steam isn't so great anymore. Lots of poor decisions, a lot of shovelware that basically kills the better games in search. As for the great review system...We are talking about reviews where devs and publishers are abused only because their budget did not allow the implementation of language x or y (chinese and russian customers, that just refuse to understand simple economics) or where the dev himself manipulates the reviews (happened so many times and is still happening).

Steam right now has no curation whatsoever. To be honest, if i would recommend a platform, that would be GOG. Right after it, i would say Origin. And then i would say Steam.

And also...ever had something to do with Steam support?! It's like talking to a brick wall. And the wall might actually listen and even be helpful. 

You say that you have 100 games there. I have around 1400. But if i have a choice, i go for GOG, for uPlay or Origin. 

There is a reason of why Bethesda developed a client (they do intend at some point to distribute their games directly through it and lose Steam). Warner is also working on their own client and 2k is thinking to use Rockstar Social Club as a starting point for a client. And last, Microsoft decided to sell any exclusives directly through their store. 

As you can see, most of the big guys are preparing to abandon Steam. Mostly because Valve can't curate the store properly anymore. And has zero interest to do it, as long as the money are flowing. Once more of the big publishers will retreat, Valve might change its tune. But until then, we have shovelware, poor customer support, restricted gifting, restricted gaming (if i travel abroad, there are good chances that i won't be allow to play the games from my account, due to the regional restrictions), no actual moderation on their boards, review manipulations, review bombing, suspicious devs/publishers (removed only when they are brought in front of a court of law) and other such niceties.

Also, i will point that Origin sells products from other publishers, too. GOG and Ubisoft's uPlay are also selling products from other publishers. 

My personal client top is:

1. GOG - simple, intuitive interface, curated reviews (so review bombing and manipulation isn't likely to happen), stable, not heavy on resources. Even better, the client is entirely optional

2. Origin - minimalistic, decent look, still not a resource hog

3. uPlay - see above

4. Steam - though the client is stable, there are a lot of other things that are wrong with it. I've already mentioned some and will add the fact that is a resource hog. 

So, bottom line: i am fine with things as they are. I will buy EA's products on Origin (at least i get support for their products and i won't have tot deal with Steam support), Ubisoft's games on uPlay (so i won't have to deal with two opened clients - Steam and uPlay), DRM-free games on GOG and only if something isn't available elsewhere, i get it on Steam.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

View in thread

Message 5 of 24 (12,108 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

Because Valve charges 30% of the price for everything sold via Steam.  Just like Apple on the iTunes Store.  Why should EA give a competitor 30% of the sale?  EA/Origin works just fine, and allows them to keep all the profit, and regulate the price (especially for DLC) more directly.

No (new) EA game has been available on Steam for over three years.

Message 2 of 24 (11,122 Views)

Lol, putting EA games on Steam when Origin was created as direct competition to Steam is sort of like walking into an Apple store and asking for an Android phone....

EA created Origin so they didn't have to use Steam, and so they could market, and profit from their games directly.  They will not go back to Steam without a major shakeup of the Origin client or EA in general. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 24 (11,112 Views)

★ Novice

yes but steam doesnt just sell valve products and has a great review system. were as origin only sells EA produts and has no review system at all. i have over 100 games on steam why do i want origin just to play battlefield. origin is *. and im sure if EA went to valve and asked for a better deal they would probably get one

Message 4 of 24 (11,062 Views)
Highlighted

@stuey450f actually...nope. The deal is simple: 30% from the profits for Steam (no matter who you are: Activision, EA, Ubi, Bethesda, etc), 70% for the publisher (not for the dev, but for the publisher). From those 70% the publisher will pay the marketing plus other expenses. The poor dev it will be lucky if he gets 5% from those remaining 70%. And it's a big if.

And in case that you've missed what happened in the last two years, Steam isn't so great anymore. Lots of poor decisions, a lot of shovelware that basically kills the better games in search. As for the great review system...We are talking about reviews where devs and publishers are abused only because their budget did not allow the implementation of language x or y (chinese and russian customers, that just refuse to understand simple economics) or where the dev himself manipulates the reviews (happened so many times and is still happening).

Steam right now has no curation whatsoever. To be honest, if i would recommend a platform, that would be GOG. Right after it, i would say Origin. And then i would say Steam.

And also...ever had something to do with Steam support?! It's like talking to a brick wall. And the wall might actually listen and even be helpful. 

You say that you have 100 games there. I have around 1400. But if i have a choice, i go for GOG, for uPlay or Origin. 

There is a reason of why Bethesda developed a client (they do intend at some point to distribute their games directly through it and lose Steam). Warner is also working on their own client and 2k is thinking to use Rockstar Social Club as a starting point for a client. And last, Microsoft decided to sell any exclusives directly through their store. 

As you can see, most of the big guys are preparing to abandon Steam. Mostly because Valve can't curate the store properly anymore. And has zero interest to do it, as long as the money are flowing. Once more of the big publishers will retreat, Valve might change its tune. But until then, we have shovelware, poor customer support, restricted gifting, restricted gaming (if i travel abroad, there are good chances that i won't be allow to play the games from my account, due to the regional restrictions), no actual moderation on their boards, review manipulations, review bombing, suspicious devs/publishers (removed only when they are brought in front of a court of law) and other such niceties.

Also, i will point that Origin sells products from other publishers, too. GOG and Ubisoft's uPlay are also selling products from other publishers. 

My personal client top is:

1. GOG - simple, intuitive interface, curated reviews (so review bombing and manipulation isn't likely to happen), stable, not heavy on resources. Even better, the client is entirely optional

2. Origin - minimalistic, decent look, still not a resource hog

3. uPlay - see above

4. Steam - though the client is stable, there are a lot of other things that are wrong with it. I've already mentioned some and will add the fact that is a resource hog. 

So, bottom line: i am fine with things as they are. I will buy EA's products on Origin (at least i get support for their products and i won't have tot deal with Steam support), Ubisoft's games on uPlay (so i won't have to deal with two opened clients - Steam and uPlay), DRM-free games on GOG and only if something isn't available elsewhere, i get it on Steam.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 24 (12,109 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@ivrognardSpeaks the truth

Been with Steam for  years and currently its a cess pit. 

Why would EA go cap in hand to that and lose out on 30% profit when they put the effort into creating Origin, makes zero sense.  Origin is a fine client and EA are listening to customers.  Unlike steam, and customers, who are wading thru sludge.

Message 6 of 24 (10,967 Views)

★★★ Novice

Calling Origin "competition" to Steam is being way too generous.

Message 7 of 24 (10,956 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

and by Regulate DLC, prices you mean to say, never lower it from it's original Release.. Where as Steam Does have Sales on DLC listed on it's platform.

Message 8 of 24 (10,955 Views)

EA DICE Team

@stuey450f

One thing for me to add is we do sell non-EA games on the Origin store. We're also reviewing... reviews - we understand that it's an integral part of the shopping experience.

You can be sure that we will keep you updated on any future Origin updates Standard smile

Kind regards,

Message 9 of 24 (10,932 Views)

★ Guide

Atleast if your games were on steam i would not be having activation issues. Your client has given me more issues in the past 4 days than steam has given me in over 4 years. I wouldnt experience this atleast with steam:

Message 10 of 24 (10,929 Views)