Re: Why doesn't ea come out with a drag racing game?

by TheRealJony

Original Post

Why doesn't ea come out with a drag racing game?

★★ Newbie

EA should come out with a drag racing game. It could start out with the local test and tunes, graduate into the local points series' events, then onto the 8th mile series, so on and so forth, all the way up to the NHRA series. Even have a class for junior dragsters. Different classes of cars available, hundreds of tracks, from local all the way up to national events tracks. Just a thought. I mean, there are other racing style games, such as NASCAR. I just think it would be a good title to think about.

Message 1 of 10 (1,152 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to post @glfrgrg70.

I'm not aware of any plans for a NASCAR or other racing title but I will pass your feedback on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,102 Views)

@glfrgrg70 Some NFS titles included a drag mode many moons ago. Sadly, the more recent titles ignored it completely. 

We had it in NFS Underground 1 and 2, Most Wanted 2004, Pro Street and Shift2 Unleashed. From the modern era NFS, only NFS 2015 has it. The closest we had of a more professional drag mode was Shift 2. 

Somehow, i would have loved NFS split in two series: a legal pro circuit series (Pro Street, Shift  and Shift 2 were a good attempt to that and i loved Shift 2) and a street series (with illegal racing and so on).

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 3 of 10 (1,083 Views)

@ivrognard wrote:
Most Wanted 2005

Just nitpicking. XD

ivrognard wrote:
From the modern era NFS, only NFS 2015 has it.

NFS Payback has drag races.

It's pretty much the same style as NFS 2015 (NFS Reboot) and not as intense as the ones in NFS Underground games and NFS Most Wanted 2005.

NFS World also had drag races as well. Even though I had my fair share of fun with it, I will not be biased. The drag races in NFS World were pretty trash.

You would expect any kind of Muscle cars would win a 1/4 or 1/2 mile Drag race. But the muscle cars in NFS World can't win any Drag races.

Players would be rewarded with a 1/2 second nitrous boost for every perfect shift. And it didn't help that the game had a problem with some cars having overpowered nitrous (a.k.a. Cosmic Nitrous) that wasn't ever fixed. Instead, OP nitrous was made as an undisclosed perk for some cars that had to be purchased with real money.

With 1/2 second nitrous boost given for every perfect shift and OP nitrous having an effect, only cars with OP nitrous were able to compete.

Cars that didn't have OP nitrous (which were all Muscle cars) had no chances of winning.

I could go a bit more about the problems of NFS World drag races, but it'll be another paragraph. XD

So I'll leave it at that. lol

ivrognard wrote:

Somehow, i would have loved NFS split in two series: a legal pro circuit series (Pro Street, Shift  and Shift 2 were a good attempt to that and i loved Shift 2) and a street series (with illegal racing and so on).

The developers of NFS Shift 1 and 2 (which are Slightly Mad Studios) developed their own IP called Project CARS.

So far, Project CARS 1 and 2 are released with the third one currently in development.

Project CARS 1 and 2 are both simulation-racing games and focus on track racing, just like NFS Shift 1 and 2.

Although I am enjoying playing NFS Pro Street (I'm currently playing it in 2019 XD), I don't think it was a good attempt to a racing simulator.

The driving physics don't feel realistic at all. And it's supposed to feel realistic when it's attempting to be a racing simulator. In fact, it feels arcadey (which would explain why it feels unrealistic).

Then again, Black Box developed NFS Pro Street and they are known to make arcade-racing games.

Both NFS Shift 1 and NFS Shift 2 handled it better than NFS Pro Street when those games simulated real-life driving physics better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need For Speed helper

I am not affiliated with EA in any way.

I have quit playing NFS No Limits. I will still be around to answer NFS No Limits questions.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 10 (1,069 Views)

@TheRealJony I will have to pick up Project Cars series this year (missing the DLC's for PC2 and the entire PC 1). Also, i was wondering if you've played Asseto Corsa series and how do they compare with Project Cars. Both series have mixed reviews, so i was a bit on the fence. The Crew 2 is still bad (installed it in the last free week-end and it did not changed enough to hook me in, like the original). The Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are tempting for a bit of mindless Arcade fun.

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 10 (1,031 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ivrognard wrote:

I will have to pick up Project Cars series this year (missing the DLC's for PC2 and the entire PC 1).

If you have lots of patience, then maybe you can get Project CARS 2 GOTY Edition.

It happened with Project CARS 1, so the possibility of it happening again is likely.

ivrognard wrote:

Also, i was wondering if you've played Asseto Corsa series and how do they compare with Project Cars. Both series have mixed reviews, so i was a bit on the fence. 

Sorry. I heard about Assetto Corsa, but I had never played it. Frown

ivrognard wrote:

The Crew 2 is still bad (installed it in the last free week-end and it did not changed enough to hook me in, like the original).

Don't you find it ironic that both The Crew 2 free weekends happened around the same time Forza Horizon 4 and one of its DLCs were to be released? Large smile

I think The Crew 2 devs know how Forza Horizon 4 could pose a threat to their game, so they intentionally did those free weekends to gather some players away from FH4. lol

You have no idea how happy I am to see you say The Crew 2 is bad. LOL Large smile

It's because I see The Crew 2 fanboys say "The Crew 2 has the biggest open-world in racing game history, so therefore it's the BEST RACING GAME EVA!!!111!"

Although I played The Crew 2 on both of those free weekends (didn't buy the game) and had some fun playing PvP races in the latest free weekend, The Crew 2 is indeed still bad.

Here's a link about the bad things (and a little bit of good things) about The Crew 2 for your enjoyment: https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/The_Crew_2

The Crew 1 (full game) was given away for free way back in September 2016. Did you get it back then?

ivrognard wrote:

The Forza Horizon 3 and 4 are tempting for a bit of mindless Arcade fun.

Even though I know about Forza Horizon series (and its competition with The Crew 2), I never really played them. Frown

I guess I'm just only interested in NFS games (and any racing game that is free). XD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Need For Speed helper

I have quit playing NFS No Limits. I will still be around to answer NFS No Limits questions.

Message 6 of 10 (993 Views)

@TheRealJony I've got the original The Crew game exactly in that giveaway, but i liked it and i've ended up buying the expansions and the Car DLC's. It's fun when played with friends and probably the closest thing to the original Test Drive Unlimited. You get your favorite car out for a spin and you have a huge and varied map to drive on it. It does have its share of problems: bad phsyics, so-so engine sounds, you can get stuck in the textures, session de-sync. But, somehow it manages to charm you. 

I've got access to The Crew 2 alpha, closed beta, open beta and i've checked it from time to time in the free week-ends. But this second game is just awful. They've managed to have non-existent physics, poor driving experience and the plane controls are just awful. The so-called story is probably written by a 10 year old and the graphics are worse than the original's (how did they've managed that is beyond me). Ah, yes and they've changed completely the interface. The new UI is one of themost tedious things i've seen in a racing game (on PC and console).  The Crew 2 also copied the premises of Forza Horizon series, but they've done it poorly. 

For Forza Horizon 3/4, there are demos available on the Microsoft Store (i still can't bring myself to use the damn thing, but i am really tempted to buy those two games after playing them on a friend XBox One). Big open world, some interesting ideas, quite good when it comes to car tuning and customization. Forza Horizon 3 has a nice starting story mission where you will have to race against an opponent that is transported via chopper until a certain point. A bit insane, but fun and very doable if you use your brain a bit. The roster is impressive, the cars handling is good for an arcade game. Bottom line, i will probably end up buying the Forza Horizon series on PC. I can't say the same about The Crew 2. I can't support a game that is worse than the original. 

Message 7 of 10 (966 Views)

@ivrognard wrote:

I've got the original The Crew game exactly in that giveaway, but i liked it and i've ended up buying the expansions and the Car DLC's. It's fun when played with friends and probably the closest thing to the original Test Drive Unlimited. You get your favorite car out for a spin and you have a huge and varied map to drive on it.

I had known about The Crew 1 since its reveal in E3 2013, but it never got my interest as I have a hate relationship with spending real money on an online-only game.

I got to see what the fuss and hype was about with the game when I got my hands on The Crew 1 on September 2016 for free. lol

I'm itching for some PvP races and PvP pursuits. Are you down for some PvP in The Crew 1 with me one day? :D

Aside from playing PvP in The Crew 2 free weekend, it's gonna be a long while (likely 3 months of waiting) for The Crew 2 to be free-to-play for a weekend again.

My solo PvP rank is Platinum Rank 1, so there isn't any incentive for me to play solo PvP anymore. Either I gain 2 or 4 LP for winning OR lose 11 LP and be demoted.

Aside from playing solo PvP competitively, I can't take the rest of the ranks seriously when the game is dead. lol

Although I normally would rather race or be chase by cops, I wouldn't mind going on a cruise around the USA with you. Just as long as we don't sit idle and do nothing because I absolutely despise doing nothing in a video game.

ivrognard wrote:

It does have its share of problems: bad phsyics, so-so engine sounds, you can get stuck in the textures, session de-sync.

The driving physics in The Crew 1 are similar to Black Box's grip physics, but not on par with them. So I would agree that the physics are bad.

Although not as atrocious as the drift physics in recent NFS games.

What assists were you using in The Crew 1? All Driving Help, Sport, or Hardcore?

You can tell which assists you're using with a steering wheel beside your name.

No steering wheel = All Driving Help

Yellow steering wheel = Sport

Red steering wheel = Hardcore

Since Wild Run update, Hardcore assists are rendered useless. Everyone uses All Driving Help.

Link: https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1340778-A-little-rant-on-the-current-state-of-hardcore-assists

Before knowing this, I used to use Hardcore to challenge myself. But after discovering that using Hardcore just makes me slower, I switched to either All Driving Help or Sport (depending on the race type).

Street = Sport

Dirt = All Driving Help

Perf = Sport

Raid = All Driving Help

Circuit = Sport

ivrognard wrote:

But, somehow it manages to charm you.

It was fun playing through the story as it gives you the incentive to continue on, despite the story being bland and predictable. After completing the story though, the game became boring.

After I upgraded my PC, I began playing solo PVP with the goal to reach Platinum Rank 1. I accomplished what I wanted to achieve and the game became boring once again.

I don't know about you, but I'm a competitive player when it comes to racing games.

ivrognard wrote:
I've got access to The Crew 2 alpha, closed beta, open beta and i've checked it from time to time in the free week-ends. But this second game is just awful. They've managed to have non-existent physics, poor driving experience and the plane controls are just awful.

You got access to The Crew 2 alpha?!?

Me jelly. XD

Anyways, I participated in The Crew 2 Closed Beta and Open beta as well. After playing Open Beta though, I knew the game was gonna be a fail when the amount of content is so little after looking through the locked content. Also, for the fact that PvP is absent freaking blows my mind.

The Crew 2 is the first racing game (and an online-only game for that matter) in this day and age that does not have PvP at launch.

Even NFS Underground 1 had Multiplayer races at launch.

The Crew 2's driving physics are similar to The Crew 1's driving physics, but I felt the driving physics were just slightly better than The Crew 1's.

Since it's not on par as Black Box's grip physics, I considered them bad. lol

I play The Crew 2 for the cars and bikes.

I do not care about boats and planes. It's just like what Clarence the Bishop says "They're just gimmicks." XD

Although I do want 100% game completion, I complete all boat and plane events.

During The Crew 2 first free weekend, I managed to complete the campaign on normal difficulty. In fact, I managed to complete everything on normal difficulty.

That's how short the game is and how little content there is in the game.

ivrognard wrote:
The so-called story is probably written by a 10 year old

Along with the fact that Level XP is classified as "Followers" in The Crew 2. XD

ivrognard wrote:
the graphics are worse than the original's (how did they've managed that is beyond me).

blow your mind wow GIF by Product Hunt

Well, it's Ubisoft and they're notorious for downgrading graphics.

I've seen fanboys say graphics are downgraded simply because of draw distance for planes. But I don't buy it.

ivrognard wrote:

For Forza Horizon 3/4, there are demos available on the Microsoft Store (i still can't bring myself to use the damn thing, but i am really tempted to buy those two games after playing them on a friend XBox One). Big open world, some interesting ideas, quite good when it comes to car tuning and customization. Forza Horizon 3 has a nice starting story mission where you will have to race against an opponent that is transported via chopper until a certain point. A bit insane, but fun and very doable if you use your brain a bit. The roster is impressive, the cars handling is good for an arcade game. Bottom line, i will probably end up buying the Forza Horizon series on PC.

I seen YouTube videos about the introduction of Forza Horizon 3 of racing an opponent transported by chopper until the end way back in 2016. Pretty cool. :D

I'll give Forza Horizon 3 and 4 demos a shot. Standard smile

ivrognard wrote:

I can't say the same about The Crew 2. I can't support a game that is worse than the original. 

You and me both.

Not that I was gonna support it anyways. With my hate relationship with spending real money on a game with always-online DRM that is. XD

Need For Speed helper

Message 8 of 10 (953 Views)

@TheRealJony sorry for the late reply. But, yes, i can play in weekends. I am not a competitive racer, but i love to either cruise around or do some of those marathon races that add to the faction rep. 

I use All Driving Help, never had great reflexes, sadly, because reasons

As for the driving physics in the original The Crew being similar to what Black Box did...Well, Ivory Tower has quite a few former Black Box employees.

I will sent my Ubi id in a PM when i get home.

Message 9 of 10 (854 Views)

@ivrognard wrote:

sorry for the late reply. But, yes, i can play in weekends. I am not a competitive racer, but i love to either cruise around or do some of those marathon races that add to the faction rep. 

Ok, I'm down with that!

What time do you normally play on the weekends (in UTC)? My time zone is EST.

Are you free to play The Crew 1 this weekend?

If I am able to, I'll login to The Crew 1 whenever you login to the game.

ivrognard wrote:

I use All Driving Help, never had great reflexes, sadly, because reasons

That's ok.

I use All Driving Help sometimes too, so you're not alone. Wink

ivrognard wrote:

As for the driving physics in the original The Crew being similar to what Black Box did...Well, Ivory Tower has quite a few former Black Box employees.

That would explain why I found the driving physics more enjoyable in The Crew games than the recent NFS games from Ghost Games.

ivrognard wrote:

I will sent my Ubi id in a PM when i get home.

Ok, I'll add you on Uplay once I receive and read your PM.

Need For Speed helper

Message 10 of 10 (846 Views)