Re: Why does Mass Effect: Andromeda get looked down on?

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why does Mass Effect: Andromeda get looked down on?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Mass Effect: Andromeda is my favourite in the series. I got it about 3 months back when I finally got a PS4 and played a little, and after only 1-2 hours of gameplay, thought it was a lot better than 1-3, which I have played all of. Though they were fairly fun, I didn't really love them. I think they did a way better job at incorporating RPG elements into this when compared with 1-3. I think the vast majority of people who are saying that this one sucks need to get their heads checked. I just want to point out some things that go above and beyond anything 1-3 did, making it just an all around more enjoyable game.

One of the biggest things that screams true, hardcore RPG about this one is that some bodies may be looted, carrying anything from sell loot to weapons and armor. Same with crates and the various other storage containers you may come across. You can either take all, or pick and choose what you want out of your randomly assorted loot. That in itself sells me.

There has been a jump feature added. This makes yoir life playing this game a lot easier, plus grants you access to more explorable areas. Its also extremely helpful during combat to make it easier to find cover amd escape enemy fire.

If you're a fashion guru like myself, the outfit customization is a big source of brownie points for this game as well. Now not only can you customize the colors of your armor, but you can with your casual attire as well.

All around, there is more weapons are armor to find. Not to mention, there is more than just the default melee weapon. Now you can also find extras of stuff you already have so you can turn around and sell it to make more credits. 

There is a much larger selection of skills to enhance.  There are also several categories to choose from when selecting skills, and they each have a generous list of options. 

Lastly, there are freakin vehicles! So far, I am only on Eos and I have found the rover type vehicle with maneuverable wheels that allow for getting over big rocks and such. Plus the thing can go into 6 wheel drive and get you up steep hills!

At the end of the day, Andromeda is just a far superior game to 1-3. It has everything the first 3 did, plus a lot more, and some reimagined content that makes it a more solid RPG. I just wanted to get the facts out there becuase I think this game is wildy underrated and deserves way more credit than it has recieved. Can't wait for the sequel!

[text colour changed - EA_Leeloo]

Message 1 of 9 (3,155 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

For me, its that a lot fans just wanted more of the same and despite Bioware openly and repeatedly saying is was going to be different people wouldnt accept it. A lot of people cant let go of the original trilogy which to me is mind boggling as its a game.

Yes, the story and characters were weaker and MEA is no doubt the weakest in that respect, but it also has the beat combat and easily the best rpg system. 

Granted i starting playing after the fixes but its not like the original trilogy didnt have problems.

Also a big part is just how people are now. As soon as they dont get exactly what they want they throw tantrums like children keep it up. The game didnt deserve near the hate it got. Bioware unfortunately listened to those idiots and stopped development. 

Of course part of MEAs failing lays in its hellish development that pretty much doomed it from reaching its potential from the start.

Personally this is my favorite in the series for its gameplay and rpg elements. Its no doubt lacking in a number of areas, but i hated the pure linear nature of the trilogy where you could never go back to any place, had difficulty upgrading and had the annoying level cap. 

View in thread

Message 3 of 9 (3,100 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero

I think the answer will be very different depending on each individual, but the consensus seems to be that Mass Effect Andromeda is a bit of a janky game with some very unpolished elements. You said you got the game 3 month ago, which means you played after many of the issues with bad animation and character models have already been fixed. Some lack of polish was never addressed, however, such as how all asari except Peebee have the same character model. (And the turians too, but that's harder to notice.)

I like Mass Effect Andromeda, but for me it's easily the weakest entry in the series (not counting the mobile games). For me the main issues are:

• The open level design. I prefer corridor combat.
  • SAM is an annoying character and Ryder's accomplishments feel unearned because it's actually SAM doing everything.
  • SAM won't shut up about the temperature.
  • The 3 ability limit (and long cooldowns when profile switching)
  • Bad sidequest design (which was also a problem in Mass Effect 3)
  • Poor storyline that borrows too heavily from the trilogy (exaltation = indoctrination)
  • A very cliché and uninspired villain
  • The amount of time wasted when traveling (which is better on PC with mods)
  • Less control over squadmate powers
  • Constant backtracking

For me the best parts in ME Andromeda were the missions that are closest to the design of the trilogy. The main story and squadmate missions take place in linear corridors, which is where Mass Effect is at its best. The final mission in MEA is one of my favorite parts in the game series, and I wish most of the game were like that.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 9 (3,119 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

For me, its that a lot fans just wanted more of the same and despite Bioware openly and repeatedly saying is was going to be different people wouldnt accept it. A lot of people cant let go of the original trilogy which to me is mind boggling as its a game.

Yes, the story and characters were weaker and MEA is no doubt the weakest in that respect, but it also has the beat combat and easily the best rpg system. 

Granted i starting playing after the fixes but its not like the original trilogy didnt have problems.

Also a big part is just how people are now. As soon as they dont get exactly what they want they throw tantrums like children keep it up. The game didnt deserve near the hate it got. Bioware unfortunately listened to those idiots and stopped development. 

Of course part of MEAs failing lays in its hellish development that pretty much doomed it from reaching its potential from the start.

Personally this is my favorite in the series for its gameplay and rpg elements. Its no doubt lacking in a number of areas, but i hated the pure linear nature of the trilogy where you could never go back to any place, had difficulty upgrading and had the annoying level cap. 

Message 3 of 9 (3,101 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I see your points, but I guess I just have different tastes and expectations from most fans of the series. At the end of the day, I just think Andromeda is a better concept in almost every way. I will side with you on the lack of controlling your party member's special moves, though. Hell, I even liked the story and the protagonist better. Thats just me, though. I am sure there are people who agree with me, but they're few and far between.

I wasn't able to find anything about the sequel being cancled, though. I looked it up and everything I could find, though the latest was from back in like November, points to the game still being developed. I can only hope it is. 

Message 4 of 9 (3,079 Views)

★★ Guide

Like some other fans of the original trilogy,  the removal of some features that we're super handy (tactical pause, limited skills like they already mentioned above, ability to control your party) bothered me, as well as boring additions (Getting to long to travel to point A to point B) and how they never bothered to fix one particular botched mission (Special plants).

However, I always understood that the trilogy closed all the possible doors to return to the Milky Way, and that the next ME wouldn't include Shepard and party. I always say, cause I've talked to multiple fans and discussed this, that most look down on Andromeda simply cause:

- Andromeda doesn't have Shepard.

- You don't start as a badass with a good reputation, but an awkward young rookie who's barely seen action and won their role not because they were the best, but becase they were the only option at the moment.

- "Ugly asari".  And I partially agree with this, besides Peebee, ALL the asari in the game seem to have the same face model but with different makeup/paint.

- The game was rushed and it had tons of glitches, really ugly animations in some scenes, dead empty eyes in some NPCs, and just little mistakes like Peebee holding her gun backwards tthe first time you meet her. All these have been fixed, but it took them some times and players were already fed up.

- Simple nostalgia.

People love to compare the trilogy's characters to Andromeda calling them "boring", "weak", " too simple", when in reality they're comparing a whole TRILOGY (Yes, 3 GAMES and some comics) to Andromeda, which only has JUST 1 GAME so far.  As much as I love Tali and Garrus they also weren't that interesting in the first game, but they become better with each game.

I personally love the trilogy and I still enjoy Andromeda, I'm still giving them a chance as long as they don't get lazy again and rush a second game with the same horrible animations, copied face models, glitches and unfinished fixes to their botched missions.

Message 5 of 9 (3,050 Views)

★ Guide

Part of the development problem was that they tried to do the procedural generating planets like No Man's Sky but it wasn't working so had to back track. I doubt you see that happen again  

Message 6 of 9 (3,037 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@motionless883 This reminds me Batman Arkham Knight for PC. Many people hated it cause of huge bugs on release. Later, it was patched and now it is a normal Arkham game. It is the same with Andromeda.
Message 7 of 9 (3,003 Views)

Hero

@motionless883 wrote:

I wasn't able to find anything about the sequel being cancled, though. I looked it up and everything I could find, though the latest was from back in like November, points to the game still being developed. I can only hope it is. 

I'm also under the impression that a new Mass Effect game is being considered at least. There was talk about the quarian DLC being canceled, but as far as I'm aware, that was never actually being developed.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 9 (2,989 Views)

★ Guide

I believe they announced end of  last year a new ME was in the development phase, but they also noted they were still working on Anthem and a new Dragon Age so it will be some time down the road. 

Message 9 of 9 (2,978 Views)