Why do people hate blaster mains in hero modes?

by AnakinVader34

Original Post

Re: Why do people hate blaster mains in hero modes?

★★★★ Apprentice
@VetteC5RX Hasn't the roll been nerfed already?
Message 61 of 83 (639 Views)

★★ Guide

@AnakinVader34 

Yeah blaster users are able to maintain fire while being pushed or knocked down. It’s been a long standing issue with blaster users that really reduces the effectiveness of abilities because blasters can keep landing shots when they’ve been disrupted. 

as for nerds; no. There had been an adjustment to block and dodge abilities some time ago which ended up being reversed when another game tester on this forum did a lot of work and brought the issues to light.

the current dodge issues with blaster users was altered in TROS update. Part of the overall buff given to most blasters saw a change in how their dodge works. Now rather than being evasive blaster dodge abilities are immunity based. For the duration of the dodge ability strikes and abilities are not recognized. This is definitely OP; especially when you realize that the actual dodge ability mechanic timing doesn’t align with the characters animation. This means that “proper” ability timing on blaster users is VERY haphazard at best.

charcaters like Luke who have instant cast abilities don’t see this as effective but other characters who have longer ability cast times see the game timing amount to nonsense at this point; especially when you factor in the bad input stacking. 

blaster user damage output is enough that this dodge mechanic is overpowered because it enables blaster users to ignore strikes for at least two dodges plus sees the dodge recharge rate very low so baster users can dodge a lot and often. Finn & Phasma do NOT benefit from this mechanic. Whether that was by design or mistake I don’t know. 

so to recap; blasters can do high damage from a distance without consequence, if an opponent closes distance the blaster user can then rely on a combination of crowd control and dodge to manipulate their opponent and still deal high damage. That’s not balance. Some attributes need to be adjusted to balance them out. 

Message 62 of 83 (625 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@VetteC5RXThat only works perfectly if that player does exactly what Chewie or any other blaster user predict.

Like I mentioned before, most blaster pros are used to have targets that can be easily anticipated and outplayed.

It's like they don't even consider it to be possible that someone strikes only once and backs off, uses a Kylo jump without doing anything or waits with abilities until someone has rolled etc.

So there's that, blaster pros who're used to play against spamming opponents get predictable in some way themselves at some point because they expect to score an easy combo.

That Chewie has a charge slam left is the reason why I use only one or two attacks to trigger him using it, because it appears like I'm spamming.

Same when using choke etc. I briefly back off after one hit because everyone responds either with slam or grenade.

Many blaster users already get really confused when someone just holds block to deflect shots back at them.

Especially the Leia players who assume that everyone just tries spamming lightsaber attacks so they'd win by spraying back.

At that point it's just a weird cat and mouse game with all those panic-rolls.

Message 63 of 83 (618 Views)

★★ Guide

@TRlALON  That’s still haphazard because regardless of how the saber users plays to engage a Chewie the Chewie player can easily modify their play style to take advantage of the situation.

if you strike me once I can simply just shoot you and you can’t deflect my bolts or I can toss my stun grenade behind you and you can’t block the stun, if you jump I can then charge slam and give you damage + a knock back. 

again, only a Chewie player that isn’t experienced is going to get bested by some of those tactics. An experienced Chewie vs an experienced saber user will see Chewie at an advantage that the saber user has to try and offset. That’s not balance or good gameplay. 

The fact that any blaster user can do panic rolls is garbage in & of itself. Blaster users can do the panic roll back & forth, all the while ignoring saber strikes and in the time it takes the saber user to turn their character around the blaster user has recharged a dodge roll and will just go back and forth while their abilities recharge and then melt the saber user if they’re still in proximity. 

this is total nonsense because saber users must be in proximity to do damage and only three characters in the game have an ability whereby they can close distance to do damage: Kylo, Annakin, & Grevious. ... in all 3 instances the saber user can be shot and in the case of Kylo his ability AOE’s are so trash they’re laughable; especially when compared to Grevious or Annakin’s 

Message 64 of 83 (610 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@VetteC5RXI think we're speaking from very different experiences here. That's fine, I just have yet to meet a Chewie who can really escape my clutch unless he's that guy who never misses any shot no matter what or hides behind his teammates all the time. Though he might  just play as Solo because the main gun does the better pew pew pew for him.

Just from what I usually experience, Chewies won't be able shoot a lot at me while I'm jumping because they either spam rolls or are stuck in the middle of the slam run animation because they think that I'll just spam abilities and lightsaber attacks myself, hence why it works so well even against great players.

I meant to say is that I jump away or pretending that I want to get close and it's not exclusive to Kylo. Works for Vader and Maul too.

When they slam hit me mid-air, I'll be thrown so far away (thanks to really great hitbox design) that it's hardly an advantage for them anymore and using the stun grenade is just risky if not outright wasted then.

Rolls? They're cancer lol.

Message 65 of 83 (597 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@TRlALONYeah, everyone has different experiences tbh.
@VetteC5RXYeah roll can be OP lool

But, my friends, the question is: How exactly DO we re-work the roll so it isn't broken?

Message 66 of 83 (588 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@TRlALON  Yeah I would say the players you experience with Chewie play him poorly and don’t take advantage of his attributes as they are now.

if you’re a Vader and you’re jumping to approach me the first thing to do is time your shots so they hit you as you reach the ground and before you take your next jump. As Chewie I don’t need to kill you as you approach, hitting you once or twice is enough to do around 450 points of damage which is half your health right there. Then all I need to do is once you do get close use dodge to position myself to toss stun that you can’t block and hit you with a couple more shots. At this point you’re either dead or very near dead; I can then combo roll and slam to bypass your block and either kill you or give me enough time to take the last shot I need to guarantee you die. Keep in mind that a tip with Chewie is to land shots at a distance .. why? Because with Furious Caster active a headshot registers 353 damage per cluster hit! That’s massive damage and at range the hit box detection is so haphazard that it’s VERY easy for your cluster shots to register as a head and melt huge damage before your opponent closes in. At that point their health has taken such a hit that you can legit just stand there and shoot them even if they’re striking you and Chewies DPS will kill them before they kill you. 

there’s very little Vader can do if played this way because his saber throw doesn’t do heavy damage, focused rage doesn’t do the damage reduction it proclaims, and choke I can avoid by being close to you. In doing so the choke AOE is much narrower and easily rolled out of. A properly played Chewie has an advantage over any saber user it’s just a matter of leaning on his broken stats the right way. I find that most players lean on Hann, Leia, Bosk, & Iden anymore for this more so than Chewie.

@AnakinVader34 Thats easy. You fix roll by removing the immunity it has, making it like it used to be. Blaster uses can roll, they can even roll often; I’m good with that. But make it so that roll is used to actually dodge a strike or ability, don’t make it where roll provides full immunity regardless of where the character is. That makes it broken and toxic and why people lean on it so much. Yeah the dodge recharge is fast but you don’t have to proper time it, you can just spam it and let the immunity do the rest. Take that away and it makes a huge difference the way the mechanics re-balance. 

Message 67 of 83 (577 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@VetteC5RXMan I get that Chewie is a tough hero but that doesn't mean that he's invincible just because someone might know what he's doing.

Also I don't play this game since only yesterday so implying that the only reason why I managed to kill Chewies is that they were all a bunch of idiots is just false. Where have all the "good" players you have in mind been hiding then all those years? Is it because they all switched to Han about whom they feel like he can do the same as Chewie but better?

Message 68 of 83 (564 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@VetteC5RX I think it's a similar situation with saber users' dodge. But your rework of the roll sounds good. Sad to say that even if it did happen then haphazard hitboxes would still be an issue.
@TRIALON Chewie can potentially have about 1200 health, combining impervious and bonus health. That's almost 2x the health of Han, and his bowcaster is much easier to aim with than that DL-44. I feel like they are about the same useful
Message 69 of 83 (534 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@AnakinVader34What do you mean with easier to aim?

The aim pros hit the target anyways, so no wonder that they stick to Han's faster pew pew pew pistol. I can imagine that this ridiculously strong detonite charge + shoulder charge as well as the 3 rolls starcard matters too.

Message 70 of 83 (521 Views)