Why do I have to pay more to unlock a game I already payed 40$ for?

by H3artless06

Original Post

Why do I have to pay more to unlock a game I already payed 40$ for?

★★★ Newbie

It's Stupid. Theres nearly not enough content in BF1 without expansions, to have expansions. Its like you have a pizza, and when you come to the third slice, Pizza hut says," You have to pay 7$ to eat this slice" I PAID FOR A FULL GAME. THIS WASNT BETA. I PAID FOR A FULL GAME AND LOCKING AWAY CONTENT FROM ME IS UNHONEST, GREEDY. YOU ARE WHAT RUINS GAMING.

I paid money for this

and you are locking away the full game from me.

Message 1 of 6 (711 Views)

Re: Why do I have to pay more to unlock a game I already payed 40$ for?

[ Edited ]

@H3artless06

Welcome to the world of DLC's, basic games, super deluxe games and ultimate games. Go and compare EA to other gaming companies and you'll find out they all do it!

Note: If you totally don't approve with DLC's, don't buy a modern game. 90% of modern games work with DLC's

PS: I have nothing against DLC's by the way. If I like the game AND the cost price of the DLC, I'll buy it. Standard smile

Message 2 of 6 (689 Views)

★★ Pro

@DarkBanishing

I like the DLC progrem, that why I can control how big I want the game, for exemple I gor few Sims 4 DLC I love, and other DLC not, your pizza exeample is wrong, it's will be more accurate with getting topics on the Pizza, which is more expansive than the basic Pizza, the same way, DLC are like the basic game topic, I play BF1 basic game, and it's a full game, not a trial or a demo, your Pizza exemple are a trial, there uoy got a game for limited time, this is not the case

Message 3 of 6 (680 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Hello everyone! 

For me Battlefield 1 was a great single player experience with an interesting and emotional story. DLC are offering some great additional content for the multiplayer part only. So I guess, in case like this, having DLC as a separate  product does make sense.

Cheers,

Archi 

Archi.png
Message 4 of 6 (669 Views)

@EA_Archi I've started playing the SP campaign for BF1 and i loved every moment. For a history buff, BF1 is a great game. Weapons aside, the way that captures the war is without equal in modern gaming. It shows the war as it is: ugly, cruel, bloody, and yet offering some of the most unexpected moments of beauty and humanity. I might not be into MP, yet (still trying to finish DA:I, which proved to be a longer game than i've expected), but the SP is amazing. I might start MP once the DLC that adds women soldiers comes out (from what i've seen, lots of new stuff coming, too). And i will probably ask nicely yahel to take me for a spin in MP, if he's willingStandard smile

@H3artless06 The BF series since BF3 always had the equivalent of a Season Pass. Some editions included that, the basic editions never had it. You do get the complete SP experience, but for the Season Pass you have to pay extra. Nothing new here. You also have the upgrade option (all the BF games since BF3 have it, Bad Company 2 being the exception), which is cheaper than buying the DLC's separately. the DLC's are MP only, so they are completely optional. But they are great addition to the MP side of the game.

Personally, i always research a product before buying it (be it a videogame, electronics, clothes, books or anything else). I am not an impulse buyer. I can't afford to be one. So i do my research. Sometimes i decide that i want a certain game, but not the DLC's, sometimes that i want the whole package, sometimes i decide against buying the game. Every decision i make while shopping is an informed one. My last decision is skipping Middle Earth: Shadows of War because they've added microtransactions in a Single Player game. The game was on my possibly buy list. Now it's not. I do not rush. I make sure that the purchase that i make is based on solid information. 

For 40$ you have a great SP and access to a solid MP. A MP that can be played without the said DLC's. There is also the Premium Trials feature, that allows players that do not own the Premium Pass (Season Pass) to experience the premium maps for a limited time. There is also the Premium Friends feature, which allows the owner of the Premium Pass to bring on the Premium maps his/her/it/whatever friends. Sure, there are limits, like not having access to new skins, new weapons, vehicles or characters, but those two features opened the game more for the non-Premium gamers.

I will point the fact that the Premium Pass goes often in sales and that's the best money value (you get all the DLC's and some battlepacks, too). So, using the upgrade feature in this case, does makes sense. Also, i will point towards the fact that EA has on the game's page a comparaison between all the three editions and you can get a clear idea of what you get when you buy a certain edition. So you could see clearly what you get. They added that since the pre-order phase, so anyone could see it and make an informed purchase.

Hope that my little rant will help you in your future purchases, be it from Origin store or any other store. An informed customer can not be deterred from buying the product he actually wants. Nor he can be coned easily. When in doubt find a friend that might have the knowledge. If you do not have one, get on the web and learn as much as you can about the product. In our days there are tons of customer reviews, youtube reviews and so on. What can i say: when you live in a hole, you learn how to digStandard smile

Thus being said, i hope that you will change your mind upon buying games from Origin. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 6 (605 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Totally agree I used to buy around 50 games a year and was happy with small add-ons and extras being free and major add-ons costing extra this was fair to the gamer and the seller, Now greed has taken over and game makers now look like desperate golums in the street grasping for every penny and to really take the biscuit they now want to charge even more to go online with mp, So instead of on average gamers buying several games a year now they might buy 1-2.

Message 6 of 6 (582 Views)