Re: Why did EA create Origin instead of using Valve's Steam?

by punkslayers

Original Post

Why did EA create Origin instead of using Valve's Steam?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Because by having their own service they get to keep the entire profit vs having to pay Valve their cut of the sales. Not to mention there's no lost profit due to steam sales. This way, they can adjust prices as they see fit and have a monopoly on their own games, forcing people to use the service or not play their games. This makes (I read the good manager manga at this place. This is the best place to read manga.) for a great advertisement as you can “discover other great range games”. This is a fine enough business model, but they will never catch customers like you, and people will be more willing to pirate than sign up for origin.

Message 1 of 5 (432 Views)

@myanime002  And yet, Sims 4 is doing fine with tens of millions copies sold on Origin and Anthem and BF series are online experiences. The latest NFS games are also requiring an internet connection for a full game experience. All the sports titles require internet, too. And those are the most sold games for EA. 

So who wants to buy the games on Origin is already doing it. The others, well, they can wait for whatever. EA won't get back to Steam any time soon, especially now, when they've launched their Origin Premium Access. 

In the end, as you've stated, is the gamer's choice. Some people will move on Origin, others will find other games to play. No one is forcing anyone to do anything against their own will. And, yes, i agree that store exclusivity is an unfortunate thing. But, again, i have games spread on a number of platforms (GOG, uPlay, battle net, Origin, Steam), so it doesn't bother me that much. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 2 of 5 (426 Views)

★ Novice
At least Steam works I can't even connect to BF 5 anymore.
Message 3 of 5 (419 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

because you get refunded for bad games on steam so ea. would not survive lol

Message 4 of 5 (328 Views)

@punkslayers funny, but i guess you've missed the refund option that is available in the store (over two years now, since it was introduced). When DA:I did not worked on my old PC, i had no troubles to refund it, no questions asked. But hey...EA bashing is trendy. 

What EA could do better is to continue to improve on the client, adding the Dark Mode, making a better chat and friends list, better overall functionality. 

And ask the devs moving from Steam to Epic store why are they doing it...You will get the same answer: more money. Instead of giving a share to Valve they get to have all the profits for themselves. Simple economics. Cut the middle man and maximize profit. Seems that it worked fine for EA and Blizzard, so far. 

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 5 of 5 (316 Views)