Re: Why are there spiders in Star Wars!!!

by GuardianD671

Original Post

★★★★ Apprentice
@CommanderKeeva What you might try, is sitting a bit further from the monitor, turn off sound for the fights, maybe, and reward yourself with something for every big spider you kill.
What might also help, is anything else that breaks immersion. Be that music, rainbow unicorn stuffed animals lined up around the monitor and forcing yourself to breathe steadily.
Phobias in general are mostly irrational and not connected to any real danger. On the screen the trigger is mostly related to vision and sound, but also to immersion. Thanks to your mirror neurons, you feel a bit what the protagonist is going through, which is mostly a good thing, but in this case, perhaps try to break the connection by all means.
Hope that helps a bit, and is not just what you already know and tried.
Good luck.
Message 11 of 40 (4,593 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thank you, coming to think of it, I'm a very visual person and also emphatic with others' pain, so it could be a combination of these of these two that excerbate an already severe reaction. I will try to gather up the courage again to give it another go, as I absolutely love this game, but I believe in any setting it would be traumatizing for me. My brain is just not wired for this.

It is a tug of war between my arachnophobia and Starwarsphilia...

Message 12 of 40 (4,574 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

You can run away from them in the game just as easily as you can run away from them in real life.

Pretty funny to imagine a Jedi with the force and a lightsaber at his disposal running away from a spider... Especially with the one-shot kill mechanic you can use on them.

Message 13 of 40 (4,565 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@CommanderKeeva Have you tried wearing glasses blurring your vision to a point you can see where the blobs are on the screen but are not recognizable as spiders anymore? :D
Message 14 of 40 (4,546 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Posting a quick update

Sadly, I haven't been able to pick up where I left off-

the issue at the back of my mind makes it difficult for me to start up the game and go on from where I've found myself "stuck" in the story.

I'd spent some of my time exploring the planets and areas I knew to be 'safe', but progressing the story further is shamefully a difficult task for me..

I know that this is hard to relate to for most people, and I quote from my reddit thread: "It ruins the escapism" for me.

I'm feeling the exact same way I would, if say a Star Wars movie did feature a lengthy scene with some of these creatures: I wouldn't be able to see it-

It bothers me a lot because I felt about this game unlike I'd done about most other games I'd put my hands on - a truly immersive experience, it's a great game don't get me wrong. And I want to be able to play so badly.

I've decided that it's enough whining and going on about the same issue on these forums, so I won't continue burdening myself and others anymore: I've said my 2 cents about the issue as it stands. That being said I'm still crossing my fingers for a fan-service feature update in any shape or form- and at this point I'm fine if it doesn't come to fruition: I respect the devs and the amazing work they've put into their title: It's been real enough to scare some people (or at least me, solely) away: Something no horror movie have ever achieved! Maybe one day I will be able to pick up where I've left off- but it sure as hell isn't now, as I've just been made aware of how difficult it is for me to look these horrors in their horrifying eyes lol GG respawn, literally

P.S.: I still don't think removing them entirely solves the issue- but finding a way around them in any shape or form is, but that's up to you and your community to decide

Message 15 of 40 (4,516 Views)

★★ Guide
@CommanderKeeva Give in to your anger and use it to destroy every. single. one. of those 8 legged freaks, eradicating their evil from the universe.
Message 16 of 40 (4,453 Views)

★★ Novice

The real issue here is that you cannot separate fantasy from reality with regards to your fears in this game. This game isn't real, therefore the spiders aren't real. 

Message 17 of 40 (4,443 Views)

★ Guide

thats a little patronising. i see spiders on tv that arent real and still dont want to go near them. you dont understand phobia, and thats no crime, but you might have paused before you made that insulting comment i think, and thought about maybe phrasing it better. personally i dont consider my arachnobia to be irrational. i know EXACTLY the incident that triggered it. doesnt make it any easier to deal with saying that that spider is dead, the trauma is still there. 

and a game you cant get immersed into the game world is like a movie you dont get into when watching - not worth playing or watching at all and you would have never gotten to the spider part because it was crap long before then

Message 18 of 40 (4,417 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@FluxFader A phobia is a real issue, inducing irrational fear triggered mostly by looking at the object, whatever it is. In this case that's spiders of course.
Anyway, it's a real thing, and the fact that it's irrational doesn't change that the induced fear, panic, adrenaline surge, tachycardia (that's a racing heart) is as real as if you're in real danger. And no, if you got a serious case of that, you can't make it go away by knowing it's not real. That _is_ the issue.
Luckily I'm not affected by that and enjoy spiders as the nasty monsters they are in any movie, game or even reality, but arachnophobic people don't just hate spiders or anything. They don't have a choice but go into uncontrolled panic mode when triggered.

Sure, you can do some stuff to control that better, also by controlled confrontation, but that's real work in many cases and I totally understand people who do not want that while they actually want to enjoy a game.
Message 19 of 40 (4,391 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Marked for visibility purposes 

Well, actually, my love for Star Wars ended up winning over my fear of spiders, so I decided to give it a shot and see if I can discover a way to make the playthrough experience as spider-free as possible. I actually found that you can avoid most of the fights with a bit of precision and attention to detail. I'll try to explore each planet to 100% and mark down potential encounters.

Kashyyyk:

- Forest Trench: At the first workbench, where you acquire the slicing upgrade, one will jump on you from the ceiling, when you go to collect the Force Echo. This is also triggers a cutscene, better left unseen. As many others have pointed out already, this fight can be avoided by navigating around the web on the floor.

- Imperial Refinery: Two spiders will ambush a squad of Imperials after you activate the cutter. Here you can rotate the camera away and wait out the fight. On lower difficulty, the Imperials on the ground win easily, but on higher difficulty the spiders actually defeat the Imperials they can reach. However, two stormtroopers are on elevated positions that the wyyyshokks can't reach, so with a little of bit of patience, you can just wait for them to shoot the remaining spider dead. This works every time I go back and I used to it explore the refinery.

- Imperial Refinery: After the abovementioned fight, if you go into the cave on the left, you will have an experience you will regret for life. The albino wyyyshokk (the Kashyyyk world boss) will attack you, when you try to collect the secret. I read that it is actually possible to collect the secret without triggering the fight, again by navigating around the webs, but honestly I did not have the nerve to try. Rather, you can very easily kill this boss without ever looking at it. Just jump into the middle of the web to trigger the encounter, close your eyes and once you hear it, press the target lock button. From this point, Cal will always face the boss and keep attacking until it dies. Since you can't really avoid its attacks, it will take a minute or so, but you have more than enough health on story mode to just brute force your way through this encounter. 

- Kalyyystad Falls: After you defeat the three rocket troopers and the slug, you have to climb a rope to a bluff. Once you're up, look on the ground and notice the patch of web on the floor that you can easily step around. Just go around it and take the zipline down into the basin. You can avoid this encounter every time.

- Gloomroot Hollow: After you jump across the chasm where the wooden plank breaks beneath you and you fall into a pit, there will be one spider on top, where you climb out. Fortunately, it is fighting a slyyyg for dear life, which it ends up losing. Just wait at the bottom of the pit for a minute or so, climb out and finish off the slyyyg.

- Origin Lake: Now unfortunately, this is the first encounter you can't avoid in any way. There are two spiders on the shores of the lake, when you climb out. But again, lowering the difficulty to story mode, closing your eyes, target locking and hacking it blindly worked out for me.

- Origin Tree: After the long slide sequence and falling into the water, three spiders will be on an elevated plateau after climbing out of the water. Again, this encounter is not avoidable, but doable by target locking and blind fighting on story mode. Alternatively, I suppose they could also be pushed or pulled into the water - I assume this is why they are always so close to water -, where they would just drown.

Ordo Eris:

This is actually triggered on Zeffo, after exploring the tomb of Miktrull. On your way up, you are captured by a bounty hunter and taken to Ordo Eris, the asteriod stronghold of the criminal syndicate Haxion Brood. There, in an arena battle, you have to fight all kinds of monsters, but in the penultimate round, there will be one wyyyshokk. However, in this same round, there will also be a jotaz from Zeffo and you can just let the two creatures battle to the death. I only tried this once, but the jotaz won here.

Also on Ordo Eris, after escaping the dungeon and while navigating through the tunnels, you will see various creatures locked behind bars. They are the monsters that you will later fight in the arena. In one cell, you can find a live wyyyshokk, but it's locked behind bars and can't interact with you in any way. Just rotate the camera and move forward.

Also on Ordo Eris, near the end of the tunnels, you will come a cross a huge hole in the ground and three holes in the ceiling. While you are exploring the area, dead corpses will fall through the holes, presumable the victims of the arena fights above. Every so often, a dead whyyyyshokk will fall through. They are also non-interactive and can't hurt Cal in any way. However, to avoid a close-up of a dead spider passing you by on its way to the endless abyss, just wait until one corpse falls and then swing across. Every third or so corpse pile has a dead spider in it.

Dathomir:

Dathomir is full of bane back spiders, they are found it pretty much every area you explore. There is no way around them. However, they are much smaller than their Kashyyyk counterparts, less scary and they die from a single saber throw. They do not have any horroristic nightmares like the web strangling on the wyyyshokks. They spew acid and dissolve on death into acidic puddles, so it's better to keep distance anyways. Overall, they look more like bugs and feel like pests, for me they don't induce that shocking arachnophobic horror that the Kashyyyk spiders do. I don't like them, it's creepy how they sometimes jump, but overall they are tolerable and very easy to dispatch in a single hit or throw. I assume this is why they are so numerous.

Generally they lurk in dark and damp areas, like caves, swamps and foggy ruins. If you see vines overhead, there is a good chance that one or two will drop down, usally in front, sometimes on both sides to make a pincer (pun intended) move. I think that after exploring the starting area (Strangled Bluffs / Upper Strangled Bluffs I think they are called), you'll pretty quickly pick up on their attack patterns. A good strategy is to prepare yourself mentally when you are about to encounter such an area, go into parry mode just in case and just slowly walk forwards. When you see one, lock target and throw the saber. A single hit will kill them.

Well, there you have it, an arachnophobe's guide to a mostly spider-free experience. Because my phobia is pretty extreme, even amongst arachnophobes, I think most players will have an easier time getting through these two planets, Granted you have to make one concession, lowering difficulty to story mode for a grand total of 3 encounters, but at least the game is playable and enjoyable. If you're an achievement hunter, you might lose some hidden achievement for lowering the difficulty, but for now I'm just glad that I could actually progress in this game without turning it into a living nightmare.

Message 20 of 40 (34,701 Views)