Re: Why Zombopolis for the tournament site?

by bobburgers6

Original Post

Why Zombopolis for the tournament site?

★★★ Guide

With distractions and hazards like the battery, train, and disco ball, is it not a little too demanding for 4 players to both attack and defend?  I can understand why they did not choose time park like with the length of Rome (making the engineer more of a target) and disadvantage for defenders near the end with the boot push similarly with Great White North's initial and final portion. Still though, the moon base is pretty solid map as well as zomburbia for solid matchup.  

Message 1 of 3 (311 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

It's a tall order for 4 players for TT for any map. Because of long walking, if you have any weak link or any fall, or super player, it's hard to compensate the balance. 

Easiest strategy on defense, put the strongest player to guard the teleporter, while 3 others guard the base. This will force offense team to put more resource into building a teleporter and might waste time. Ok, now teleporter is built, somebody has to guard it otherwise, the strongest player will destroy it again. The cycle might repeat and more precious time is wasted.

Ok, offense getting frustrated with building a teleporter, and just attack as a group. If one of them collapse, the rest is at higher risk to fall as well, then have to walk all the way down.

Strategy (tricks), coordination, and communication are key on this matchup.

You can implement some tricks as well, or some bait to get the base empty/less guarded. So for the defense team, they need to be "discipline" in doing their job.

Message 2 of 3 (297 Views)

★★★ Guide

I was thinking about it in terms of map design, 1st area is always the easiest usually to take; the difficulty usually increases as you continue throughout the map to allow ample time for both the defense to recover and the offensive to develop a new plan of attack. In turn though, the maps will stop offering different routes to allow attack and both team exchanges occur much faster.

i.e. Zombopolis 3rd point are pure straight lines (4 to be exact) with the middle choke point surrounded by the usual barrier and on opposite sides 1 higher ground to allow retaliation on both sides; making it easier to quickly spot enemies and quickly eliminate/ distract threats.  The problem becomes with that is the inclusion of a foreign element, i.e an occasional hazard that affects all parties. With the disco ball in play, a entry/exit now becomes eliminated wherever the ball is, while this encourages team coordination and focus onto different areas, this pushes the team into usually approaching the same point (creating the same effect it can have if someone built a teleporter).  A similar problem with the train occurs on the 5th point, but  the problem becomes more of a defensive one where there are only 3 points of access to the choke point(high to low) for defenders.  If per say, a 2 of the 4 take the choke and the other 2 were to take the high ground, then it becomes much harder for defenders to enter the point especially with the train entering into play as it no longer is possible to enter middle unless you go around or use the stairs.

The battery's issue becomes the back.

Secondarily, it also becomes a matter of discipline/trust between players as a team. The tank of the team who is going to be important in said points may have to take damage for a scientist/flower(healing), engineer/rose(player disruption/crowd control), chopper/comsic brains (player elimination), or another character in order for them to continue on. Moreover, while it may be viable to escape damage, your teammate may fall and the other players will quickly focus their attention on the next available target, which can be the tank or another party member. Is your healer going to pick you up? Can my scout/assault teammates deal enough damage even if there are 3 enemies remaining? 2 of my teammates are down with only one other teammate, should I retreat now even if there is no one on the choke point? 

Message 3 of 3 (281 Views)