Re: Which Game Should I Start With?

by ivrognard

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Which Game Should I Start With?

★★★ Newbie

I just retired my copy of SimCity3000.  What would be a good starter game if I was upgrading?44

Message 1 of 6 (408 Views)

Accepted Solution

@MarkGlasses if you buy it from Origin, the game is launched from the client. And while you can set the client to go offline, the client will still need to be open. If you buy from GOG (Sim City 2K, 3K and 4 are available there, too), the game will be DRM Free and you can play it offline with no client open in the back. 

Of course, it's your choice. 

So, to summarize: you can play Sim City offline. In Origin is a lot more confusing, but doable. The least headaches version is the one available on GOG. It will work offline without headaches. If you are a frequent traveler and if you go in places with spotty internet connection, i'd say that you get the GOG release. If you have access to internet all the time and can log into Origin to authenticate and then go offline, get the Origin version (also recommended if you are one of those people that like all their games in one place - personally i am not, but i have Sim City 4 on both Origin and GOG).

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (368 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

None ea is yeah the release the same game every year saying improvements have been made but 2k

Message 2 of 6 (394 Views)

[ Edited ]

@MarkGlasses Sim City 4 is a good choice. Sim City 2013 isn't as complex as any of the old games. It's enjoyable, true, but compared with Sim City 2K, 3K and 4, pales. I'd say go for Sim City 4 for now and look for some Sim City 2013 youtube playthroughs to see if the game will appeals to you. 

IF you want something close to Sim City 2K and 3K, then Cities Skylines would be your best bet. Very complex, very satisfying, but a lot of expansions. And that is a non-EA game. 

If you want other EA games, it would help to know about your gaming preferences (like if you are into RPG's, racing and so on)

I do not work for EA and i am not associated with the company in any way. I am a player just like you, trying to help wherever i can.I will not answer to any unsolicited PM.

Message 3 of 6 (387 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@ivrognardThanks, this is really helpful.  I prefer to play offline, in general.  Can I do that with SimCity 4?

Message 4 of 6 (376 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@ohbuckets1 Your response is very confusing. It makes no sense.

Message 5 of 6 (374 Views)

@MarkGlasses if you buy it from Origin, the game is launched from the client. And while you can set the client to go offline, the client will still need to be open. If you buy from GOG (Sim City 2K, 3K and 4 are available there, too), the game will be DRM Free and you can play it offline with no client open in the back. 

Of course, it's your choice. 

So, to summarize: you can play Sim City offline. In Origin is a lot more confusing, but doable. The least headaches version is the one available on GOG. It will work offline without headaches. If you are a frequent traveler and if you go in places with spotty internet connection, i'd say that you get the GOG release. If you have access to internet all the time and can log into Origin to authenticate and then go offline, get the Origin version (also recommended if you are one of those people that like all their games in one place - personally i am not, but i have Sim City 4 on both Origin and GOG).

Message 6 of 6 (369 Views)