Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

What your best-to-worst list of javelins, after first demo

by Abyssalwyrm

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: What your best-to-worst list of javelins, after first demo

★ Guide

@GuruChaz wrote:

Please don’t nerf the Storm.   If anything, it needs a method of healing since it’s glass cannon.

I think storm more meant to be shield tanker. and i believe in one of dev streams they shown epic weapon(ability?) that helps replenish the shield with each kill.

Message 11 of 47 (312 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
Best to worst for me are Ranger / Storm / Interceptor / Colossus.
Message 12 of 47 (312 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Ri0tous wrote:

1: Medic 

Its not in the game i have no clue why but i want a medic jav. thats pure support/healing kinda mad there isn't one at lanuch i know they said there working on new ones i hope its the 5th jav. they release. 

Classic healing would really mess up with shooter-gameplay. Especially highly mobile gameplay as Anthem intended to be. At first i was also confused why there haven't bring healing class(subclass), but now i see why. With healer ppl would just hunker down at one place and will make all shooter gameplay quite trivial.

Message 13 of 47 (308 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

I really like ranger, and i think it is gona be my main.

Message 14 of 47 (306 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

all say the colossus is not tanky... i don't know why.

I played the colossus over and over, whit the tactic electric coil/melee/combo chain i kill everything take heal triangle and repeat, i've never died once.

Whit the aggro support ability or the reinfoce ability save all comrade is a piece of cake.

The only things is that using a colossus is a brain matter not a smashing button ones.

1) Colossus 2)Ranger 3) Storm 4) Interceptor

Message 15 of 47 (294 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

1. Ranger - very unexpected fun playing it. All-rounder that can hold its own in most fights if well equiped.

2. Storm - just wish I had chosen this as my 2nd Javelin - spent a quick 30mins once they opened up all 4 Javelins and loved what I had in basic trim

3. Colossus - slightly let down as was expecting it to be more tougher in the early gameplay. Think I would need to get way way better gear to have more fun

4. Interceptor - Same as no.2 if honest.

What will I play on launch as first Javelin - choice between the better Ranger or having to try out and improve the Storm.

I'll use this comings free demo weekend to enjoy the Storm more and then decide Wink

Message 16 of 47 (286 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Newbie

Storm : Being squishy is irrelevant, a dead enemy does no damage and this javelin does that job really good Standard smile

Colossus : Not sure why this guy is getting a lot of hate,you have to use the right gear specific to the colossus that gives lots of armor and health than the universal one.  This javelin is the only one to have a taunt and an actual shield with which it can rush  enemies in melee.

Ranger and interceptor : One being hybrid or evenly balanced means you are good at nothing , the other being squishy storm in melee . The interceptor would require a lot of skill to make it work  and players tend to choose the path of least resistance to the get the job done.....so yeah die-hards fan would play it but you will always have others second guessing you and say "Play storm instead" Standard smile

Message 17 of 47 (266 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

While I placed Colossus at number 83 on my list, the biggest problem with it in the demo were twofold (I tried all four, with Storm being the last - and holy crap, it's the press-anything-to-win javelin):

1. Those great colossus components aren't there from the start. So you get spanked by the enemy, you put the colossus away and use Storm (or literally anything else). First impressions matter, and when that impression is "I can't do my job," then - at least for me - I'm going to move on. 

2. Its name, description, look and pretty much everything about it say "face tank the world" but it's playstyle is apparently way, way more subtle and non-obvious. Ranger, Storm, and Interceptor are obvious by the time you've shot your first enemy, pretty much. Colossus is much more opaque.

In my experience, for example: my health was chewed away like it was nothing within moments of engaging the enemy. The Shield, remarkably, was stronger than posts here let on, but I was getting brutalized from every direction. My heavy weapons felt like they hit for plink damage - the autocannon in particular being completely disappointing. I couldn't combo, I needed to spend my time hiding behind the shield or (preferably) a giant rock. It's clear that I wasn't playing the javelin right, but without the great components that would be available later, I couldn't find the groove where it was effective - I couldn't figure it out. I wasn't fast, I wasn't nimble, I didn't hit that hard, and I wasn't that tough. So I said "Ugh. Let's try something else." 

If they take anything from this thread and the other comments on the Colossus, it's that it's cool to have a "smart tank" but they ought to consider changes that let the javelin lead you to the correct playstyle (or at least, a basically successful style) from the moment you hit the ground outside the walls. This would avoid the frustration and misunderstandings. 

Message 18 of 47 (259 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Newbie

1. Storm - most OP for me. Raining down fire from 100' up made me smile

2. Interceptor - Speed kills. Great movement.

3. Ranger - Hardly 3rd - more tied for 2nd - very balanced and fun. (yay iron man!)

4. Colossus - A little slow for me, but i get the "big boom" factor

The great thing I'm seeing from all the responses are the various responses. Sounds like most #1's are different - which means a pretty good balance from the start.

Had a blast w/ the demo - just needs stability which will come.

Message 19 of 47 (241 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice
I picked Storm in the demo and I liked Ranger and Storm almost equally, but I leaned more towards Ranger mainly because the running animation and the sound/feedback of it feels alot better than flying (and because Ranger is the most similar to Iron Man).

I had 45 minutes to try out Colossus and Interceptor when they made them all available. So from about 15 minutes of Colossus freeroam gameplay, as said, he felt too squishy and slow. The slow part I could probably get used to but it being squishy is too much of a pain. This is a PvE only game so I hope the devs will experiment more with changes, as opposed to devs needing to be more careful in PvP games, and maybe buff his shield or health, or give him increased healing from health drops. (Maybe a test server?) Now as I'm writing this I remember there is equipment that can drastically change how a Javelin works so I hope there are good end game items to help the tanking. The early game is still a pain tho.

As for Interceptor, I had no idea it would be that fun to jump and dash around, and I spent the remaining 30 minutes just meleeing mobs and zipping around. Definitely my main.

So
1. Interceptor
2. I would like it to be Colossus, but will have to see full game.
3. Ranger and Storm share this spot for now. I like them all and will probably play all Javelins, as I usually do in games.

2 and 3 may swap places once full game releases / for end game content.
Message 20 of 47 (224 Views)
Twitter Stream