What's the philosophy behind "last shot gets the kill"?

by KingBusserUpper

Original Post

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

What's the philosophy behind "last shot gets the kill"?  I don't want to come off as condescending, but it's gonna be hard, so I'll just say that I'm not being condescending.  That being said, this doesn't make any sense to me.  If I shoot someone for 99 percent of the damage and another player lands the last one percent, why do they get the kill?  It's really frustrating--on both ends of this.  I had a teammate get mad at me and say that I stole his kill because I was helping him in a fight--he obviously had done WAY more damage than me, but I got the knockdown shot--not my intent, of course.  I wasn't trying to steal the kill, but because of this "kill philosophy," he lost a kill.  And when I'm in his situation I feel the same way.  I'm very much a team player, but I also understand that stats do matter.  I'm very much a team player which is why I'm asking about the thought behind this "rule of thumb" so that maybe I can get a better understanding.  Maybe I'm missing the logic.

Message 1 of 26 (960 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: What's the philosophy behind "last shot gets the kill"?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

Probably because the person who kills them, killed them.

It don't matter if you did 99.99% damage, put them in a headlock, honked their nose and tickled their balls;

If they have 1 pixel of health left, they're not dead. 

And so could get up, wipe your whole squad, heal, survive.

So regardless of you doing all the work, someone has to finish the job.

View in thread

Message 7 of 26 (834 Views)

All Replies

Champion

There isn't really a philosophy as such, it's just numbers.

If you deal 99/100 damage you haven't killed that person, you've assisted in killing them.

Now i'm not disagreeing with your complaint as such, it is annoying when you put the work in and somebody else reaps the benefit with bare minimal effort. However it is what it is, and i highly doubt it'll ever change.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 2 of 26 (947 Views)

it should go to the elim system like overwatch maybe

Message 3 of 26 (916 Views)

Champion
@KingBusserUpper The point of the game is to win, not get kills. Whatever logic they use people will complain.
Message 4 of 26 (900 Views)

★★★ Expert

Yeah, but it's because, you know, gotta have challenges.  To basically bait people to keep playing.

And a lot of those challenges involve getting kills.

Message 5 of 26 (882 Views)

@KingBusserUpper I think you have a very valid and fair play point. I dont see it as being a difficult thing to do in numbers terms, esp as the damage amounts and who did the damage is already quantified, you see it every time you are killed.

Perhaps put the suggestion over in the quality of life thread for better visibility. 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Apex-Legends-Quality-of-Life-Improvements/td-p/8318265

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png
Please note:
I am a Community Volunteer.
I do not work for EA.
My views are my own.
Message 6 of 26 (855 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

Probably because the person who kills them, killed them.

It don't matter if you did 99.99% damage, put them in a headlock, honked their nose and tickled their balls;

If they have 1 pixel of health left, they're not dead. 

And so could get up, wipe your whole squad, heal, survive.

So regardless of you doing all the work, someone has to finish the job.

Message 7 of 26 (835 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay, but who's to say they would've gotten that kill if 99% of the damage hadn't already been done.  Also, do you think that the person who has already done 99% of the damage would've gotten the kill anyway?  It's deeper than just "because they killed them."  Which is why I'm asking about the philosophy behind it and not "Why can't I just get the kill?"  I'm trying to find understanding and not "because I said so."  I'm not a robot, no garbage in, garbage out here.  But thank you anyway.

Message 8 of 26 (757 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@KingBusserUpper It's a team game. It doesn't matter who does the most dmg, the only thing matters is killing the enemy team. Sometimes you do 99 % damage but you go down(enemy teammate attacked u) or you do half-dmg to two of the enemies and go down, your teammate comes and finishes them off. Besides, there is a 7-sec window for getting assist kills. Maybe you would be able to kill him, but you can't expect your teammates to 'not shoot' at that time. The simplest explanation- You function as a team so you share dmg/kills with each other. Any further explanation will have to be given by a dev.
Message 9 of 26 (748 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@BaldWraithSimp Another reason why adding eliminations was a good idea. I'm personally not bothered as long as we win...but when you don't get the win and your kills have been hijacked at the last second it doesn't feel like you've gained much from a match.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 10 of 26 (718 Views)