What's the big idea with matchmaking ?

by Kinxil

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What's the big idea with matchmaking ?

★★★ Newbie

I've been playing (and enoying) the game so far but now that I'm about lvl 25 it feels like I litterally jumped from a "Newbie" matchmaking (lvl 1-30? Or so?) to ... erh... all level included matchmaking ? Now it's common that I'll get stomped by someone with 3k kills (while I have like 70 summed from all characters ?).

I'm not against the idea of getting better at the game, but it's a bit of a bummer to go straight from an average of 2 kill/game to 1... per 4-5 games ? If I get lucky ? Sometimes I don't even have a split second to react even if I didn't get caught by surprise, the opponents just aim immediately at me and slaughter me.

I also tried the game with friends but we gave up really really quickly. No matter the communication, a bunch of lvl 12 (yeah we seems to join that All level matchmaking as early as lvl 12 in squad) can't do anything in this situation. We can't, learn, we can't progress, we just get instant stomped by the sheer level difference. I thought some online FPS were harsh regarding this, but Apex throwing you like s*** in the middle of the field makes a terrible experience for someone who started to get accostumed to its mechanics.

No chance given in squad, but the worst remains solo, I just feel like I make my teamates lose just because I'm playing with them, that's the most frustating.

It's really sad cuz insofar that's my first battle royale and was really enjoying it when I was given the chance to try anything.

Message 1 of 10 (872 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: What's the big idea with matchmaking ?

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

If your shooting skills aren't that great yet, just never ever go to Skulltown. That's the place where literally all tryhard killing enthusiasts land every single time. If there's a 10k+ kills player in the game, you can be 99% sure you'll find him in Skulltown. Do you want to meet him at start of your game or at the end?

BR's aren't the best place to practice shooting basics (assuming you're new to shooters in general), since you don't get that much time to shoot. You can do that in the training room though - well all parts of shooting, except tracking. But getting used to recoil of your preferred weapon is a big part of getting better already.

Also, shooting, especially direct confrontation, is just a small part of a BR game. If you want to actually get better at BR's then play them like BR's - learn to loot, learn to spot enemies, track them, gain as favorable position as you can before you engage, also learn to avoid contact and run away - some other huge parts of getting good at BR's. Practice your patience - sometimes the best way to win the game is just to sit in 1 spot for 10+ minutes (well maybe not 10 in apex, since average game time is ~15-20 total). Find good camping spots, learn movement patterns of various players and best ways to surprise them (the one who shoots first always has a big advantage, even in a low ttk game like Apex).

Also, you don't need to get kills to enjoy a BR game. I know some PubG players with over 2k hours in the game and <0.2 K/d, but they do have very high average placement rate usually - they enjoy playing to survive, not to kill.

P.S. The easiest fights to win in Apex is when you come in to clean up as 3rd (or 4th, or 5th) party (as long as you're not too late - best time to strike is when both teams have ppl down and are about to finish the fight). When you learn to spot everyone around you better, you can avoid 1x1 confrontations and just focus on 3rd partying (as long as you make sure you're the last party to the fun) more - you'll get more shooting practice and also win more fights. A  win/win.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (731 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Guide

@Kinxil 

I agree that there needs to be matchmaking but how many lvls could you possible need to learn the game by lvl 30 you should easily have this game figured out. Just stop dropping hot and you will quit dieing immediately and don’t worry most people enjoy killing noobs about as much as they enjoy getting killed

Message 2 of 10 (848 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Matchmaking is based on your previous performance (kills, damage, time to survive).

The system is similar to GRE test.

If you're doing good on the first few questions, the next questions will be harder and harder until you got trips then question will be slightly easier until they figure out your score.

If you sucks in the beginning, it will get easier and easier, until it's too easy then it's getting harder and harder.

So Go back sucks (hot zone, directly die, no damage) few times, the server will match you with lower performance players again.

Note: 

I've two accounts:

1. Max rank with max battle pass.

2. Low rank (10) so I know what you're talking about.

After good sessions, I got match with max rank and crazy champion. The high rank players must be looked down on me and complaining "WHY ???" 

Message 3 of 10 (825 Views)

★★★ Expert

I believe matchmaking for Apex is a very complicated issue. It's almost impossible to measure game sense, which matters the most, I'd say. This particular shooter is arguably the hardest fps to date, so we have to accept that it takes a lot of patience and hundreds of hours of playtime for us to acquire decent skills and stats. 

Message 4 of 10 (824 Views)

★★★ Guide

its imposible to make proper matchmaking on BR games you just cant also lvl doesnt mean skill

Message 5 of 10 (821 Views)

★★★ Expert
@asukojo

What if I survive 5-10 minutes, do 150-600 damage but no kills ? Or if I get erased in 2 shots by a 12k kills player (that was probably cheating)?
Message 6 of 10 (806 Views)

★★★ Expert

All I have to say is that you don't get better by playing against noobs, I was completely new to shooters when I started in apex a few weeks ago, and i'm pretty decent now.

I hotdrop 100% of the time, in skulltown whenever possible just get practice in.

This worked really well.

Also there never was matchmaking from the start. So that is all just your perception.

Message 7 of 10 (761 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did like 3-4 top 1, not sure if okay or not. I don't usually pick hot spot but as I get matched with high level players I always give them drop lead and they usually pick hot spot or zones which are mostly active and have quick fights (Skull Town, Artillery, Bunker, Repulsor, you know it). Most of the time I die quickly but it doesn't seem to ease the matchmaking, most of my games features (very) high levels. 

Guess my best bet is getting gud, cuz however I hate the experience of doing nothing I still want to dig further.

Message 8 of 10 (739 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

If your shooting skills aren't that great yet, just never ever go to Skulltown. That's the place where literally all tryhard killing enthusiasts land every single time. If there's a 10k+ kills player in the game, you can be 99% sure you'll find him in Skulltown. Do you want to meet him at start of your game or at the end?

BR's aren't the best place to practice shooting basics (assuming you're new to shooters in general), since you don't get that much time to shoot. You can do that in the training room though - well all parts of shooting, except tracking. But getting used to recoil of your preferred weapon is a big part of getting better already.

Also, shooting, especially direct confrontation, is just a small part of a BR game. If you want to actually get better at BR's then play them like BR's - learn to loot, learn to spot enemies, track them, gain as favorable position as you can before you engage, also learn to avoid contact and run away - some other huge parts of getting good at BR's. Practice your patience - sometimes the best way to win the game is just to sit in 1 spot for 10+ minutes (well maybe not 10 in apex, since average game time is ~15-20 total). Find good camping spots, learn movement patterns of various players and best ways to surprise them (the one who shoots first always has a big advantage, even in a low ttk game like Apex).

Also, you don't need to get kills to enjoy a BR game. I know some PubG players with over 2k hours in the game and <0.2 K/d, but they do have very high average placement rate usually - they enjoy playing to survive, not to kill.

P.S. The easiest fights to win in Apex is when you come in to clean up as 3rd (or 4th, or 5th) party (as long as you're not too late - best time to strike is when both teams have ppl down and are about to finish the fight). When you learn to spot everyone around you better, you can avoid 1x1 confrontations and just focus on 3rd partying (as long as you make sure you're the last party to the fun) more - you'll get more shooting practice and also win more fights. A  win/win.

Message 9 of 10 (732 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for the tips !

Message 10 of 10 (703 Views)