Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

What's in Prospero's store?

by SofaJockeyUK

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: What's in Prospero's store?

[ Edited ]
Champion

The main thing I don’t like is the fact that stuff only appears in the store for a few days, and it’s unclear if or when it will ever be available again. They seriously need to add a way to buy stuff that is no longer featured in the store. Maybe tie it to the Origin Access subscription or something. That way it would actually be worth the recurring cost. Right now Access Basic saves you a few bucks if you buy $40 or more worth of shards in a month, but that’s about it. Prime isn’t really worth it at all if you have the LoD edition. The vinyls that come with it are meh.

Maybe they think that this design will encourage me to buy everything every week, in case I want to use it later, but it won’t. It just keeps me from buying more stuff, and ****es me off to boot. Out of the April 9th rotation, I would have bought the decal, the metal texture, and likely two of the emotes. But I missed out on all of it because I wasn’t able to log in since last Friday due to work.

I also didn’t see the point in getting Canvas Honeycomb at first (especially since I didn’t realize that both colors would be editable). But now I have an idea for a Storm outfit where that texture would be perfect. But now there is no way to get it. Similarly, I didn’t get Diamond Plate and Cotton Star Pattern 1, since I couldn’t preview them on Storm and Colossus (I didn’t have those unlocked at the time). I assumed that those textures would eventually be back in the rotation, but apparently they never were.

Likewise, I passed on Big Laugh and B-Boy Taunt 1 because I didn’t feel like I’d be using those emotes and they didn’t really fit my character. But later I could make a character for whom those emotes would make sense. However, at that point I won’t be able to buy them. This doesn’t mean I’m going to start buying emotes I don’t see myself using any time soon. It just means I’m now passing on B-Boy Taunt 2 as well. If you make it difficult for me to give you money, you’ll just get less money out of me. It’s that simple.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 21 of 172 (1,570 Views)
Highlighted

@Owl_Knighly wrote:

If you just played interceptor mainly would you see this as fair?

I'd say you are depriving yourself by choice of 3 other awesome Javelins in a game designed around easily swapping into different Javelins.

I think It is your own self-restriction that causes your problem, not the vanity store. Standard smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 22 of 172 (1,559 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

@Owl_Knighly wrote:

If you just played interceptor mainly would you see this as fair?

I'd say you are depriving yourself by choice of 3 other awesome Javelins in a game designed around easily swapping into different Javelins.

I think It is your own self-restriction that causes your problem, not the vanity store. Standard smile

This is in reference to someone quoting my post I assume? I actually have all the javelins at around 700, and do play them here and there but I was more highlighting the situation for those that just have/ mainly play interceptor.

Look at it like this, there are only 4 people. 2 get given new cars and the other 2 have to wait with nothing. After some time the other 2 are excited because it's come around to " car giving" rotation and in all fairness they just like the first pair of people are looking forward to new cars. But this time the car giver singles out 1 of the remaining 2 people by not giving them anything... just the other. Now 3 of the 4 have new cars and the 1 person that doesn't isn't happy. Is there a reason why someone misses out? 

Message 23 of 172 (1,547 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

At a guess, they might be trying to spread out the new armor packs so that it’s not two armor packs for a few days then nothing but emotes and vinyls for weeks. In particular, they might want to avoid a situation where someone wants both packs but can only afford to buy one at a time.

(Though again, they could also avoid that situation by allowing us to buy stuff that was on sale previously).

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

Message 24 of 172 (1,519 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

I'm hoping they'll add more pages to the shop at some time in the near future.

Similar to what SWTOR has.

Give us a 'Featured' first page with the new stuff and stuff on sale (if it ever comes to that).

Show us previously featured wares on following pages. Either with separate pages for emotes, viyls, materials or with a decent search/filter option. 

Give us at least a two-week notification before anything drops out of the shop for some time or forever. Maybe have a separate 'Last Chance to Buy' page for those things.

People love options and if you leave people without options they often decide to rather buy nothing at all.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 25 of 172 (1,498 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

Armor Packs:

• Guardian: neat look. The only issue I have is that the default helmet has jawline protrusions that clip through the collar, even when you’re just standing still looking forward. Would be nice to get a separate helmet included with it, that looks like the default Ranger helmet but doesn’t have those protrusions.
  • Dreadnought: only bought it on the March 8th rotation. The store tile doesn’t really help promote it either. It actually has a fishbowl-like “eye” but you can’t tell unless you have a Colossus to preview it on. Haven’t really figured out an appearance scheme for it either. It seems like it could go well with some sort of a camo pattern, but there aren’t really any metallic camo patterns that I know of (there are some cloth camo patterns, but I’m not wrapping a Colossus in cloth).
  • Shrike: most of it is really neat, but the helmet looks ungothly. Luckily, you don’t have to use it. The “winglet” bits on the lower back clip through the suit when it’s opened up on the platform in the Forge. Might be some Shaper magic, but it’s best to avoid it. Otherwise before you know it, you’re feeling oddly porous and your immersion is suddenly broken.
  • Seeker: one of my favourite armor packs. Instant buy.
  • Salvager/Jigsaw/Scrapbelly/Shrapnel: The latest in Scar fashion! If you’re looking to impress your new Scar date, look no further! Seriously though, in my humble opinion, these should have been Rare. They’re literally Scar junk, and the large shoulder bits tend to clip something fierce. I mean, I realize that some cases of clipping are inevitably going to happen with some armors in some cases, but those shoulder pads seem to be made for clipping. I’m sure there are people who love them to bits, but I’m not one of them. Passed on all four, might buy them later if they’re on sale as a four-in-one discount package at some point.
  • Scout: looks a bit plain, the store tile makes it look a bit like 2V-R8, but overall I liked it and ended up buying it.
  • Exalted: looks like a sloth demon. Like, literally, the helmet’s “face” looks like that sloth from the meme, with a weird protrusion on the back. I was kinda running out of shards at the time, and didn’t have the time to buy more, so between this one and Scout I picked Scout and some emotes. Might buy it later, but meh.

Animations:

• Gum on Shoe: Colossus landing animation. Looks funny. Bought it once I realized what it was.
  • Look Back Casual: great for using when you don’t have a key for the Elysian cache and you have three people looking at you. Generally though, the “look back” series are kinda awkward to use since you have to face *away* from someone first. Though I think the other two (Look Back Thumbs Up and Look Back Arms Crossed) were coins-only, since I can’t find them in the store screenshots.
  • Robot: love it, tend to use it as my “happy dance” emote when opening chests and what not.
  • Tell it to the Hand: great, sassy animation. Unfortunately, it’s so situational that it’s hard to justify equipping it most of the time. Me and Daethena tried to use it as an impromptu high five, but it wasn’t very effective.
  • Heavy Air Guitar: works great for the Colossus. Would have worked better as a victory animation, in my opinion
  • Air Boxing: bought it, still not sure why though. Can’t think of a reason to use it, other than taunting other players, which is pointless.
  • Big Laugh: great, hearty laugh. Too big for me though. I’d buy a smaller laugh. Like a snicker. Or a giggle.
  • Make it Rain: goes well with the gold-tinted diamond plate. Using it after a purple rain run adds extra irony.
  • Training Day: kicks ***. Literally. Instant buy, no regrets.
  • Cool Spin: charm the Swarm Tyrant off her feet (all eight of them)! Seriously though, great animation, but it would make sense if there were more animations in that “character”
  • Asleep at the Teleport: neat humorous animation. Love using it on my Storm.
  • Crack Knuckles: do javelin knuckles actually crack? Do javelin pilots actually crack their knuckles when they do this? It looks cool but I’m also confused as to why someone would do this.
  • Don’t Talk to Me: great animation, not sure what I’m supposed to use it for. I guess I could use it at a teammate who is downed after trying to melee the Swarm Tyrant for the fifth time in this fight.
  • B-Boy Taunt 1: not really my style, but great animation
  • Spirited Clap: a bit too spirited. Reminds me of that Citizen Kane applause
  • Come Here: nice, basic, useful emote. Great to see it finally added. Ironically, also best taunt to use at the Swarm Tyrant.
  • Air Guitar: victory animation. Would work better as a general emote, honestly. Still pretty great though.
  • Yay!: meh. I mean, I bought it, but expected something more along the lines of SWTOR’s /yippee. Also, you realize you’re going to have to add M, C, and A now, right?
  • Finger Guns: HECK YAS! Instant buy, no regrets.
  • Failed Crane Kick: awesome animation, saw a glimpse of it in one of the trailers, was hoping it would get added to the game. Extra awesome that it also works for the Colossus
  • Fist in Air: neat victory animation. Some may find it controversial, especially if used after the Olympic games. ****’em.
  • Big Arms: neat Colossus landing animation. Also opens/closes the “helmet shields” if you have them. Liked, bought.
  • Martial Arts Bow: haven’t really seen it in action, but I imagine it’s about what it says it is. Goes well with Training Day and Failed Crane Kick. Also reminds me of Brin. So, instant buy. The only concern is that it’s a victory animation, if I recall correctly, which means it might look a bit weird because victory animations tend to be “aimed” off to the side. Not a huge deal though.
  • Rock Star: probably would have bought it but couldn’t, since I missed that entire store rotation.
  • B-Boy Taunt 2: probably wouldn’t have bought it, but would be curious to see it anyway.
  • Cannonball: I assume this was a Storm landing animation. 99% would have bought. Could always use more lighthearted Storm landing animations.

Vinyls:

• Midnight Shield: meh. It wraps around the javelin in a weird way that makes it even less clear what’s on the vinyl than it already is. Is it a moth? Why? Does it actually show up on the Colossus shield? There is no way to know.
  • Great Horned Predator: honestly, not that great
  • Abyssal Depths: neat enough that I bought it, though I still haven’t used it. I suppose I might use it with the Scar armors if I ever end up buying them.
  • Fiend’s Luck: not really my style, so didn’t buy. Might buy for another character if it becomes available later
  • Deadface: meh. The saddest thing is that it could have been awesome if the “deadface” part was a shoulder decal. As it is, it just looks like a weird splat on the torso. I might have still bought it if I knew it shows up on the Colossus shield when it’s deployed, but there is no way to tell without buying it.
  • Gate-Crasher: using it on the default Colossus, works great.
  • Dark Formation: “I’m back from heck and full of zaps!” One of my all time favourite vinyls.
  • Vanguard: would have bought it even though it’s kinda meh, but it also seemed to distort on the shoulder, if I recall correctly, so I passed on it
  • First Watch: this is literally just a single-color triangle with some stripes. Abyssal Depths looked more interesting. Not for an Epic price, no.
  • Skyfire: the wyvern looks cute in a cringy sort of way, like maybe if Zoe’s son drew it for you or something. The fireball on the helmet looks like wyvern crap though, which is just cringy and not really cute.
  • End of it All: can’t figure out what this is supposed to be. Is it an ursix trap? Do people use ursix traps? All is would do is **** off the ursix.
  • Architect: my favourite vinyl from the demo. Was happy to get it and recreate my original Interceptor look.
  • Horror Show: cringy cute. Might use it around Halloween. Real life Halloween, that is. Please don’t add some random out-of-character Halloween event to Anthem
  • Last Chance: meh. Bought it, not sure why. Could look cool with the right color scheme I guess. Might try it on my second character.
  • Firelight: the infamous “61k wrap.” I actually saw someone wear it in game and it did look kinda cool. I’d like a version similar to that, but with red stripes. Because Kirkwall.
  • Skeleton Crew: decent quality, but not really my style. Also, what in heck is that? Like, which creature’s skull is that supposed to be?
  • Machine Works: was kinda in a rush, so didn’t get a closer look. The store tile made it look like a stormtrooper helmet. Did not buy it at the time, may buy at some point later if we ever get a page for everything that has been released in the past.
  • Victory Pose: not sure what part of it is “victory pose,” but it seems like it was a reasonably nice vinyl, especially on the Storm. Too bad I wasn’t on during that rotation
  • Pack Leader: might have bought it if I was able to log in before Friday, but alas.

Origin Access exclusive vinyls:

• Lone Wolven: knees and teeth. Might use it around Halloween, but don’t honestly see the point otherwise.
  • In All Directions: looks like something off the cover of a bad Scrapheap-Hop album. Meh.
  • The Third One: forgot the name, the one with the orange stars and a blue triangle. That one is actually half decent.

Materials:

• Fabric: Canvas Honeycomb: passed on it originally, now I have an idea for an outfit involving it but can’t buy it anymore. 
  • Metal: Diamond Plate: at the time, I could only really imagine using it on a Colossus, and kinda assumed it would be back in the store several times by the time I actually unlock the Colossus. It wasn’t. Chalk it up as another loss due to being unable to buy previously featured items.
  • Metal: Battered: solid texture for when you’re going for “this javelin has been through some ****” look.
  • Fabric: Soft Cloth Gated Diamond: neat pattern, works especially great on a Seeker Storm.
  • Fabric: Cotton Star Pattern 1: another case of “would have bought it now but can’t.” Didn’t see much use for it at the time.
  • Fabric: Soft Cloth Triangles: adds a nice subtle touch. Might be too subtle for some, but I like it.
  • Fabric: Cotton Zigzag: another pattern that goes great with the Storm
  • Metal: Hardened 2: the material itself looks great, but... you can’t just name it “Hardened 2.” How am I supposed to tell what it’s about when I haven’t even seen the first one? At least call it Hardened 2: The Hardening. Or Hardened 2: Hightown. Or something.
  • Fabric: Nylon Sun Tiled: looks neat, except for the fact that it looks like bathroom tiles. Would have preferred a texture that’s rotated 45 degrees. Ironically, that’s probably what drops from the Elysian Chests (and probably what I’m not going to get, since I already missed a whole week of that event and quite possibly could miss the next one as well).
  • Metal: Welds: still looking for an armor pack where this texture would make sense. Some day I may find it. Ironically, it might be one of the Scar armors.
  • Fabric: Tactical Confetti: haters gonna hate. I love it though.
  • Metal: Hardened: it’s great, but again... you can’t just release Hardened 2 first, and then add “Hardened” a week later. At that point, it should have been Hardened 1: Phantom Wars. Or Hardened 1: Revenge of the Clone Menace. You get the idea.
  • Metal: Dragon Scales: instant buy, instant regret. Yet to find a javelin on which it would actually look good. On some of them, it tiles sideways, on parts like the helmet – which is just not right. I might try it for a metallic Storm cape texture I guess, but that’s about all I can think of.
  • Fabric: Triangles: it’s not even triangles. It’s zigzag. But then of course you already have one named zigzag. It also had some tiling issues at first, but I think they have been resolved later. Maybe. Not sure.
  • Fabric: Soft Cloth 2: basically what it says on the tin. Bought it because I like to have different materials in each slot, even if they’re ever-so-slightly different. But that’s probably the only reason to buy it.
  • Fabric: Tactical Camo 2: and here we go again with releasing a sequel to a fabric nobody has seen yet. Seriously though, yes please. More camo textures please. For both fabrics and paintable metals. Come to think of it, there has been a conspicuous lack of paintable metals since release. If there is a technical issue preventing adding more of those, I definitely hope it gets resolved.
  • Fabric: Tartan: bought it because I like to have options. I do agree that single-color tartan is kinda weird though.
  • Metal: Gold Leaf: probably would have bought it, but couldn’t, because I wasn’t able to log in that week. Notice a pattern?

Message 26 of 172 (1,477 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

Stuff from the second post (current store rotation):

• Bombardier Colossus Armor Pack: definitely going to buy once I can finish downloading the patch. Assuming it will still be up by that point.
  • Cute Bounce: same. By the way, it’s not an “interceptor emote,” it’s usable by all javelins. I’m sure the Interceptor armor pack will be released next week.
  • Fabric: Tactical Blades: most likely will buy
  • Thank You: probably definitely going to buy (hard to tell with emotes from the store tile, but I’ve been waiting for a “thank you” emote from the beginning)
  • Painted: Clean Geometric Star: definitely going to buy. Especially if that’s what I think it is (painted metal pattern)
  • Metal: Brushed: can’t really see the texture, but most likely going to buy.

However, one thing I would like to make clear for anyone from Marketing and Analytics who might be reading this thread. Yea, I buy a ton of cosmetics from the store. This does not mean I want you to prioritize adding more cosmetics to the store. I am spending this money with the assumption that the bulk of it is going towards the costs of creating the future story content, and stuff like running the servers. I want to talk to Rythe again, or even kick *** together at some point. I want to know how Mora and Lienn are doing. I want to hear about Sayrna’s attempts at petting grabbits. I want to meet more characters I don’t even know about yet. And I want more Detective Hops Mysteries. More Crimson Lancer, too. Dawnguard does seem to take itself too seriously, but maybe that will change in the future episodes.

I realize that creating quality content takes time even if you throw all the money in the world at it. However, I hope you realize that adding cosmetics without content is kinda pointless. I mean, some might disagree. There’s lots of people who skip right past every story conversation because they just want to get to that Legendary grind part faster. However, for me at least, all that story content provides context for why I should even care about this setting in the first place. Javelins are cool, but there are tons of games out there with cool armors. Flying is also cool, but even flying becomes kinda mundane eventually. But what’s really hard to find in other games is the kind of story, writing, and voice acting that you can get in Bioware games. That, to me, is worth a ton. I love playing with appearance customization, but I, personally, won’t keep playing this game for years solely for the sake of appearance customization. It may have worked with SWTOR because SWTOR had tons of content at launch. This game has a decent amount, but not really anywhere near that.

Message 27 of 172 (1,471 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide

I think poor Prospero has a hard time diversifying his wares to cause he's almost as cross-eyed as poor Destiny 1 Emperor Hideo.  I mean, seriously, anyone remember poor old Hideo?

Now, for Destiny 2 he either had corrective surgery or was doneky-punched in the forehead, but, man.

Message 28 of 172 (1,429 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

Now that I’ve had a chance to actually look at the stuff currently in the store:

• Bombardier: is actually a really cool armor set. Although the “roof hinges” look a bit flimsy and vulnerable, to be totally honest.
  • Cute Bounce: actually looks kinda weird, since javelins don’t have facial expressions.
  • Fabric: Tactical Blades: looks about as you’d expect it to look like from the store tile.
  • Thank you: ...is actually a Ranger landing animation. Dammit, Bioware. Still worth buying though, but not what I thought. Then again, you can use Finger Guns for thanks, I guess.
  • Another thing about Thank you is that it shows up as a colored raster icon, rather than a white silhouette (like every other animation so far). Not sure if that’s intended or not, but right now that icon kinda stands out from the rest, in an awkward kind of way.
  • Painted: Clean Geometric Stars: is actually a painted metal texture. That said, depending on the color combination, it can be kinda hard to see, since the lines are actually pretty thin. Still, off to a good start. More textured metal paint options please!
  • Metal: Brushed: brushed metal. Basically looks kinda like a much finer version of welds up close. Also makes a lot more sense to use than welds.

As an aside, between the new armor packs and the ones I’m unlocking with coin, I’m actually getting maxed out on the loadout slots. Which is sad, because at this point I basically won’t be able to play with another Ranger or Colossus armor pack without discarding one of the existing ones. Granted, I could screenshot the setup I have and “save” it that way, but it’s still really cumbersome to restore it later from that. I hope they can add more loadout slots soon (or an option to save outfits and loadouts separately, for that matter).

Message 29 of 172 (1,418 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

I love the brushed metal. Worth every single coin I paid.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 30 of 172 (1,408 Views)
Twitter Stream