What's In a Name?

by PretzleMe

Original Post

What's In a Name?

★★★★★ Guide

Now before you guys go all, "Pretzle, that's not a big deal.  I'd rather they work on blah blah blah..."  Let me say that I probably agree with you.  But I nitpick okay.  I have weird thoughts while I'm driving or cleaning me bathroom.

In this case, it was because of my post in another thread about the love of my life in ME:A.  The general merchant on the Nexus.

I know in RL you may not know everyone's name but dag gone it to space oblivion they all have one.  So why not in the game?

Is it really that hard to use a random name generator? 

How can I use her name in poetry I write if I don't even know it?  And before you suggest it, yes, I tried to do it using General Merchant on Nexus but the poem didn't have the proper flow.

Message 1 of 6 (646 Views)

Re: What's In a Name?

★★★ Pro

If her randomly generated name was Lionel you would feel better? Just give her some secret pet name only you get to call her by.

Most of them have names, a surprisingly large amount actually, and an explanation of how they got here and why.

Message 2 of 6 (638 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Seems identity protection is still a thing in Andromeda. You know: many of those clerks, workers, and merchants do no want to be called on their omni-tool by strangers all day long; or to be harassed because of jobs that they are doing (or because of jobs that they are actually *not* doing). It is especially important for merchants, because they go with all those credits stored in their omni-tools, and they can be easily mobbed when going home. They are also probably afraid of discrimination or prejudice. So there is a rule that You are only allowed to know their function, and actually their ID protection is so strong that it would take several months to SAM to circumvent it even if focused on the task 100%.

So well.. You can hope that the nice merchant will tell You her name when You ask her... But otherwise there is no way for You to learn it. And for her to give You the name You would need to... I don't know, perhaps publicly announce that You are a Pathfinder, and that general store is the best shop on the Cita... Eh... On the Nexus?   ;-)

Message 3 of 6 (629 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Probably the person is a General. Surname Merchant. No? Broken heart

Message 4 of 6 (607 Views)

★★ Guide

This makes me laugh! In Skyrim people were so annoyed because we automatically knew npc names they made mods so that the only way to get a name of say, a merchant, was to talk to them. I think this takes more scripting and too much scripting in a game will lower your fps. 

Message 5 of 6 (604 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@chrissyce1123 wrote:

This makes me laugh! In Skyrim people were so annoyed because we automatically knew npc names they made mods so that the only way to get a name of say, a merchant, was to talk to them. I think this takes more scripting and too much scripting in a game will lower your fps. 

You could be right.  I just haven't seen those mods myself.  I have seen some that give names to the generic NPCs in Skyrim.  One that uses a random name generator and another that uses real names.

Oh, but I think I do remember a mod that makes it to where you didn't automatically know their name, added some dialogue to where you would learn their name.

Message 6 of 6 (590 Views)