Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

What's Anthem's place in the Looter-Shooter Genre?

by Dalton327

Original Post

What's Anthem's place in the Looter-Shooter Genre?

★★★★ Novice

I was curious to see what you guys thought about this game's place among other games similar to it like Destiny 2 or The Division 2 that's coming out! I see a lot of pros and * about this game in comparison to the other two and wanted to know what others were thinking about where Anthem will fit in with other looter-shooters.

Message 1 of 44 (631 Views)

Re: What's Anthem's place in the Looter-Shooter Genre?

[ Edited ]
Champion

Hopefully its place is doing its own thing well and having other games trying to copy Anthem, rather than trying to become more like Destiny or Division just because people think it falls into the same “genre.” Especally since those games themselves are having a bit of a crisis at the moment, from what I’m hearing.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 2 of 44 (623 Views)

★ Apprentice
I've played the hell out of Destiny 2...I'll admit, it's getting very old very fast. Bungie's season pass idea burnt me out really, very grindy and has nothing really to enjoy with it. I'm watching a stream now of Division 2, it looks like...well...Division. It's very controlled and safe, it's the same game, so I'm sorry that does nothing for me. I'm really pulling for Anthem to take over.
Message 3 of 44 (619 Views)

★ Guide

Anthem has been tagged a looter-shooter for a long time, but really I don’t feel it is a looter-shooter. Destiny is a looter-shooter, Division is a looter-shooter.

Anthem is just a looter. Anthem is no more a shooter than Mass Effect. They used the same build concept and that game is listed as a ARPG, but because they placed PVE and put it in a living world (like Destiny), it gets lumped in the same group. Anthem is unique and it doesn’t quite fit into any current genre, it is a blend of genre’s just like the first Destiny was a blend of genre.

Bungie took their shooter background from their years of Halo and used it to incorporate a loot system to make a new brand of looter-shooter. Bioware has taken their years of making RPG games and incorporated it to make a new brand of looter. If people will be willing to embrace something different and stop trying to force the devs to conform to standards set by previous games, then Anthem can shine and redefine or even create a new brand of looter that others will began to model new titles after.

Message 4 of 44 (615 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@chaos777c wrote:

Anthem has been tagged a looter-shooter for a long time, but really I don’t feel it is a looter-shooter. Destiny is a looter-shooter, Division is a looter-shooter.

If I could vote for this as the solution I would.

Message 5 of 44 (607 Views)

★ Guide

Anthem is in the Division/Warframe orbit -- they all sorta scratch the same itch, while Destiny (though also a loot-shooter) has gone a different way. 

Anthem will probably be the Most RPGest Of Loot Shooters, though, because that's what BioWare knows how to do. 

Message 6 of 44 (606 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I don't know but it seems majorly focused on skills and combos, with very little attention to gun details, mechanics, and actualy shooting. I hope that changes and they either balance the two things out or make shooting matter more.

I also hope that all the weapons seen so far in betas, demos, and whatnot were all placeholders or something, cause they all looked the same and felt the same, with just different numbers on them, and that was a bit crap.

Message 7 of 44 (585 Views)

★★ Pro

@Dalton327 wrote:

I was curious to see what you guys thought about this game's place among other games similar to it like Destiny 2 or The Division 2 that's coming out! I see a lot of pros and * about this game in comparison to the other two and wanted to know what others were thinking about where Anthem will fit in with other looter-shooters.

No offence, but how does it matter? Any reply you get will only be subjective and frankly irrelevant. Why is it meant to "fit in" anyway? Surely it stands on its own merits. Also given that the full game isn't even out yet and no one has experienced the complete experience and are unable to make an informed comparison, it seems to me that this thread is meaningless. Sorry, just my thoughts.

Message 8 of 44 (573 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think the pros of anthems uniqueness outweigh the only downside which is unconfirmed endgame

Message 9 of 44 (544 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I disagree, it's a loot based game where you shoot. Everyone has 2 guns and some even have gun abilities. It reminds me of Warframe meets destiny but it still deserves a shooter label

Message 10 of 44 (541 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help