What is the difference between the Alternator SMG, R-99 SMG and Volt SMG?

by PiclesFalante

Original Post

Accepted Solution

What is the difference between the Alternator SMG, R-99 SMG and Volt SMG?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

Sorry about my English, this isn't my native language and I'm learning.

as1.png

Hello, I'm returning after a good time and I'm learning a lot of new things. What is the difference between these weapons? And, with these weapons, is it good to use the hip fire?

Message 1 of 13 (1,312 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: What is the difference between the Alternator SMG, R-99 SMG and Volt SMG?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Right so... 

R-99

• Weapon Type: SMG
  • Ammo: Light
  • Firing Modes: Full-Auto
  • Attachment Slots: Barrel, Mag, Optic, Stock
  • Mag Size: 20
  • With Extended Mags: 22/24/27
  • Damage (Body/Head/Leg): 11/17/9
  • RPM: 1,080
  • Body DPS: 198

The R-99 a melter at close range when you hit your shots, its probably the hardest out of all three guns to control. I would always recommend a level 2 or above extended mag on this gun. 

Volt 

• Ammo: Energy
  • Mag Size: 19
  • With Extended Mags: 21/23/26
  • Damage (Body/Head/Leg): 16/24/13
  • RPM: 783
  • Body DPS: 208

The Volt is my favourite SMG at the moment due to the Prowler being in the care package. You lose fire rate with it compared to the R-99 but you gain precision! 

Alternator (My information might be out of date) 

• With Extended Mags: 22/25/27
  • Damage (Body/Head/Leg): 15/23/12
  • RPM: 640
  • Body DPS: 160

In my opinion, this is the worse out of all three of the guns you have mentioned. It has had a buff in S8 which is why I think my data might be out of date. It's a decent gun for the start of a game though. 

It's all down to personal opinion really, out of the three I would rank them... 

1. Volt 
  2. R-99 
  3. Alternator 

But other people would argue that the R-99 is better, I prefer the Volt because I can control it better at range and I think its better at range. You can hip fire any of the three, the R-99 mag drains very quickly though so you'd need to be accurate. 

I hope this helps! 

View in thread

Message 2 of 13 (1,299 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Right so... 

R-99

• Mag Size: 20
  • With Extended Mags: 22/24/27
  • Damage (Body/Head/Leg): 11/17/9
  • RPM: 1,080
  • Body DPS: 198

The R-99 a melter at close range when you hit your shots, its probably the hardest out of all three guns to control. I would always recommend a level 2 or above extended mag on this gun. 

Volt 

• Ammo: Energy
  • With Extended Mags: 21/23/26
  • Damage (Body/Head/Leg): 16/24/13
  • RPM: 783
  • Body DPS: 208

The Volt is my favourite SMG at the moment due to the Prowler being in the care package. You lose fire rate with it compared to the R-99 but you gain precision! 

Alternator (My information might be out of date) 

• With Extended Mags: 22/25/27
  • Damage (Body/Head/Leg): 15/23/12
  • RPM: 640
  • Body DPS: 160

In my opinion, this is the worse out of all three of the guns you have mentioned. It has had a buff in S8 which is why I think my data might be out of date. It's a decent gun for the start of a game though. 

It's all down to personal opinion really, out of the three I would rank them... 

1. Volt 
  2. R-99 
  3. Alternator 

But other people would argue that the R-99 is better, I prefer the Volt because I can control it better at range and I think its better at range. You can hip fire any of the three, the R-99 mag drains very quickly though so you'd need to be accurate. 

I hope this helps! 

Message 2 of 13 (1,300 Views)

Champion
@rockyboy1998 The alternator damage is actually more than what is shown but I still consider it the worst.
Message 3 of 13 (1,280 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@PiclesFalante If you mean the difference between the guns; 2 are good, 1 is mediocre.

If you mean mean DPS, 2 are high, 1 is medium.

If you mean the difference that separates them; 1 has twin barrels that alternate during firing which reduces recoil but gives up high fire rate for stability. The other uses an energy source to drive ‘bullets’ out of the chamber coating it with the energy for added destructional power. The last just functions as a low powered but high speed smg.
Message 4 of 13 (1,227 Views)

Champion
@rockyboy1998 Bro fair play with this post! Mad one. I'd put the R99 above the Volt but as you said the recoil sometimes is ridiculous. I'd say volt is better/easier early game but R99 is better once you get all of the attachments.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 13 (1,147 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

I may be wrong, but hasn't the alternator been the most heavily buffed smg to date?

Yet its still utter garb lol.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 6 of 13 (1,119 Views)

@PiclesFalante Here is a secret most people don't know.. The L-star is actually a better gun than the volt. The L-star has exact same DPS, but the L-star has a 2x head shot multiplier. It's bullets are also about 5x larger. Use it in CQC and hip fire it.. It's a tricky gun to use but if you can figure out you'll destroy people with it, especially if you can land head shots.

I think people opt for the Volt because it's more reliable and easier to use at range.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 13 (1,113 Views)

★ Expert

@rockyboy1998 Just a couple of corrections that OP could find useful, Volt body damage now is 15, while Alternator's is 16. 

Also i've found different values for RPM and body DPS, where did you find this data?

Message 8 of 13 (1,088 Views)

★ Expert

@DarthValtrex I don't think l-star is a better gun. Yes it deals more damage but with Volt you move faster while ADS and you switch to your secondary way faster.

Message 9 of 13 (1,086 Views)

★★★ Pro
@hayhor Yeah I was aware of that and did include it in my post, but it just doesn't perform. You get beamed if you have it, it seems to hit like a water pistol haha!
Message 10 of 13 (1,079 Views)