What is the Problem With Saving?

by PretzleMe

Original Post

Re: What is the Problem With Saving?

★★★★ Guide

I'm more curious how one save can corrupt dozens of others.

See my "come on game" thread.

I need to get a working save editor for this game for ridiculous moments like this o_O

Message 11 of 19 (630 Views)

★ Guide

@DarthLlama wrote:

The save system in this game can definitely use some work.

Quick Save would be really nice, it's not THAT much extra effort to go to the menu and save, but still.. traditionally, on a PC title where you have the entire keyboard at your disposal, it's more convenient to just allow the player to press a Function Key to save without having to drop to the menus.

I am far more annoyed by the 'no saving during story mission' thing.. that is just silly. There is no reason to make me rely on checkpoint saves just because it's a main story mission. As it is, some of the story missions can be fairly long (which I like) but the save system makes it so that I can't start these missions if I know I have to leave for work in an hour because then I feel rushed to complete it.

I should be able to play up until I am out of time, save, and resume where I left off later. The current save system is an all around inconvenience that should be looked into.

Quick save/Quick load.  Please.  As you say, it's not a huge deal to go into the menu to save, and there doesn't seem to be a cap on the number of saves you can have, but it would certainly help the flow of the game to be able to quick save, rather than stop and go to the menu.

But most of all, something needs to be done with the save system during those priority mission quests where saving is not allowed.  Many players have jobs/family type situations that require them to leave the game, and if it happens during a priority mission, you're at the mercy of a check point/autosave feature.  At the very least, we should have a "save on exit" option if we have to leave the game (obviously not during combat, but in a secured location).  I had a situation in the Remnant Vault on Eos, where I had to quit before I finished the quest.  On reloading the last auto save, it put me in a room with a Remnant terminal that I needed to use to open a door to progress.  But the terminal wouldn't function.  So I had to reload an even earlier auto save, and ended up loosing about 1 1/2 hours of progress.  Not a game killer, but more frustrating than it needed to  be.

Message 12 of 19 (619 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

you can save just not during a main mission. i don't understand the need to save during the mission its pointless to start something then just up and quit. if there is a choice and you wish to see everything and reload the game you can still do it with auto save just make sure you go back far enough. i noticed that the game likes to auto save 4 times in 30 seconds and it confused me at first when i tried to reload and make a different choice then i noticed that i needed to go back more.

I guess you never had visitors show up 5 mins after you start something then - or a kid get a booboo that immediately needs mummy attention, or the phone ring, or your dog decide it wants attention or...
Loads of reasons why people need to stop in the middle of a game.
Loads more reasons why people may want to be able to save it themselves.

But it autosaves constantly, if you agree that you shouldn't be able to quick save in combat then I can't really see a time when the latest auto save won't be fine. If you want a way to guarantee an autosave simply spend a skill point job done.

With all the little bugs and potential features that would be nice to see this seems like the least useful to the largest number of people.

Sidenote: This is one of those times where the current gen of console wins as if someone knocks at the door you can turn the console and resume play where you left.

Message 13 of 19 (615 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Deckard_Red

"...But it autosaves constantly, if you agree that you shouldn't be able to quick save in combat then I can't really see a time when the latest auto save won't be fine..."

Not during main missions, not during certain missions, and sometimes not during other random times.  For example, the Kett base on Eos.  It saves at one spot and that spot is practically the beginning. 

Fought my way all the way to Invictus after several attempts mainly due to the enemies having improved everything including AI while my squad somehow seems dumber (oh and them literally being able to appear out of thin air) and couldn't save.  Had to do that whole half again.

There's a difference between not saving during combat and not saving during the whole duration of something that can take hours to do despite the fact that there's plenty of times no combat is going on so I can't see how you can compare not saving during combat which can be like a 15 min skirmish to not being able to save during a mission which even at a half way point is multiple skirmishes that are 45+ mins long.

In short, me being okay with not being able to save for 10 to 15 mins does not mean I should be okay with not being able to, and the game not doing it, for 45 mins or longer.

Message 14 of 19 (606 Views)

★ Guide

Exactly this.  Auto saves are at best erratic during certain priority missions.  Not saving in combat is not even remotely the same as relying on auto saves, and it shouldn't matter if you're on a console or a pc.  Just had a situation in the Kett base on Voled where my Ryder got stuck on a barrier and couldn't move.  Had to alt/save/delete to exit the game.  Reloaded the last auto save and lost about 30 minutes of game play.  Not terrible, but there is really no need to go through the frustration of not being able to save at certain secure locations.

@PretzleMe wrote:

@Deckard_Red

"...But it autosaves constantly, if you agree that you shouldn't be able to quick save in combat then I can't really see a time when the latest auto save won't be fine..."

Not during main missions, not during certain missions, and sometimes not during other random times.  For example, the Kett base on Eos.  It saves at one spot and that spot is practically the beginning. 

Fought my way all the way to Invictus after several attempts mainly due to the enemies having improved everything including AI while my squad somehow seems dumber (oh and them literally being able to appear out of thin air) and couldn't save.  Had to do that whole half again.

There's a difference between not saving during combat and not saving during the whole duration of something that can take hours to do despite the fact that there's plenty of times no combat is going on so I can't see how you can compare not saving during combat which can be like a 15 min skirmish to not being able to save during a mission which even at a half way point is multiple skirmishes that are 45+ mins long.

In short, me being okay with not being able to save for 10 to 15 mins does not mean I should be okay with not being able to, and the game not doing it, for 45 mins or longer.

Message 15 of 19 (594 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Rand207

"...Just had a situation in the Kett base on Voled where my Ryder got stuck on a barrier and couldn't move..."

Oh my, by the Maker yes.  Ooo, the times I've had to reload because of a bug only to discover that I just lost a significant amount of playing time.

And let me say something else if you don't mind, this, the bugs and lack of ability to save anytime, makes higher level difficulties that much cheesier in my opinion.

There's nothing like dying because of a bug and having to start way back over again.  Makes you wonder if games get beta tested on higher difficulties.

But yes.  Everything you said.

And sorry about what happened to you there.  I hope by now you've went back in there and sent them all to the void.

Message 16 of 19 (592 Views)

★ Guide

@PretzleMe wrote:

@Rand207

"...Just had a situation in the Kett base on Voled where my Ryder got stuck on a barrier and couldn't move..."

Oh my, by the Maker yes.  Ooo, the times I've had to reload because of a bug only to discover that I just lost a significant amount of playing time.

And let me say something else if you don't mind, this, the bugs and lack of ability to save anytime, makes higher level difficulties that much cheesier in my opinion.

There's nothing like dying because of a bug and having to start way back over again.  Makes you wonder if games get beta tested on higher difficulties.

But yes.  Everything you said.

And sorry about what happened to you there.  I hope by now you've went back in there and sent them all to the void.

Thank-you, and yes I did go back in and send them packing.  Had to stay up late to finish the rescue of the Moshae (spelling?), and have to say it was one of my favorite  quests so far, intense fire fight at the end, and Jaal was exhibiting some real emotion with what we discovered.

Message 17 of 19 (581 Views)

★★★ Guide

No idea what they were thinking. What makes matters worse is when you're stuck in combat with nothing around you and you can't save at all, no matter what. Even entering combat again, killing everything, and leaving the area doesn't help. 

They need to get rid of the auto save system (which is sporadic at best and completely unreliable most of the time) and give players back the ability to quick save with a button and manual save everywhere, no matter what mission you're on or what's going on.

Message 18 of 19 (576 Views)

★★ Pro

@PretzleMe wrote:

@Deckard_Red

I hated that Kett base the first time I did it. First PT skills are lowish and limited and gah i died so many times right at the end - only to be required to do the entire mission over again. Second time new game+ by then had more skills and crew with all their skills was cake-walk. Also me being more used to the games combat by then.

Message 19 of 19 (574 Views)